PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

Bwana
09-17-2015, 12:11 PM
On a tour of the City of New Orleans flood protection structures today. I'm sure it would bore some but to an engineering geek it is pretty impressive.

Chicken Dinner
09-17-2015, 12:35 PM
That does sound pretty cool. Is this post-Katrina built stuff?

Thumper
09-17-2015, 03:01 PM
That does sound pretty cool. Is this post-Katrina built stuff?

I would hope so ... otherwise, it wouldn't be very impressive, would it? :D

Herb2
09-17-2015, 04:14 PM
As an engineer I find that stuff fascinating.

New Orleans is actually below sea level; not because of global warming or sea level rise; it is due to the way that the silt deposits (upon which NO is built are slumping. Baton Rouge by comparison is HIGHER than it used to be.

If we left it to Nature (that Mother) the Mississippi would have redirected the main flow into the Atchafalaya river, making Morgan City the "big port", but since we have so much invested in the BR-NO port we (the US) have been "correcting" the river's flow for over a century. Sooner or later something will have to give; LA is losing more than a football field sized chunk of land every minute, while the silt that should have been rebuilding the delta is sent out past the Continental Shelf where it is lost.

Buckrub
09-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Katrina was inefficient.

No-till Boss
09-17-2015, 08:47 PM
On a tour of the City of New Orleans flood protection structures today. I'm sure it would bore some but to an engineering geek it is pretty impressive.

They rebuilt that sea wall crazy fast. I'm pretty sure it was the only time the Corps of Engineers lost a lawsuit .

Bwana
09-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Yeah CD all that we saw was built post-Katrina & it was amazing how quickly they were able to build some of those massive flood control features.

For instance one of the items we saw is the WORLD'S largest pump station which was 93% completed in only 24 months! This unit provides protection from storm surges as well as discharging internal storm water during large flood events with 11 - 5400 hp pumps that can discharge 19,140 cfs or 8,613,000 gpm (gallons per minute). Pretty darn impressive to this engineer.