PDA

View Full Version : Man, what a tragedy....

Big Muddy
09-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Just found out that a young man, who's family I have known for many years, was killed today, when a tracked combine accidently ran over and crushed him....he had been working on one of the combine tracks, and the driver thought he had completed the repairs....however, the young man had returned to the front of the track for some reason, without the driver's knowledge....he was only 26 years old.

Just a couple of years ago, his little sister was playing in their front yard, which was near a busy hiway, when the tire off an 18 wheeler came loose, and hit here head-on....she was killed, instantly.

Tragic situation for that family.

No-till Boss
09-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Both are horrible, thoughts and prayers to the famly .

Captain
09-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Oh my Lord Muddy... That is awful! I'll sure send prayers for the family that they can find peace, if that is even possible in a case like this. Those folks have now had to go through a parents worse nightmare TWICE.

Thumper
09-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Oh man, that is terrible. Not only for the family, but I'm sure the operator is a mess also. I know it's too little, too late and would probably never be followed on a private operation like a farm, but I was contracted with the phosphate mines down here for 20 years and pulled maintenance on all their tracked vehicles (as well as wheeled vehicles, locomotives and the plant equipment/machinery).

In the case of tracked vehicles for example, if I failed to attach a "DO NOT OPERATE" tag on the start switch or controls, I'd be bounced off the property and my contract cancelled so fast it'd make my head swim! If attached, that tag could not be removed by ANYBODY but myself. Probably a PITA on a private farm, but that boy would still be alive today if that procedure had been followed. I know, hindsight is 20/20.

A needless and sad tragedy. Condolences to all involved.

Buckrub
09-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Wow.

Just when I think I have troubles.........stuff like this...........

No-till Boss
09-18-2015, 09:42 PM
A combine is a little different Thump, most of the time, when you're troubleshooting, someone is in the cab with the machine running wide open, while someone walks around around the combine and tries to figure out what the problem is.

This is how I figured it happened, the operator was on the machine, the repairs were made, the operator was given a hand signal that all was ready, instead of moving right away, he probably looked at one of his many screens, maybe resetting or punching off a code, this could take a few seconds, all while the machine is running, the kid probably, looked up and saw the operator doing something and thought he had a minute to re-check something, or even pick up a tool, and the driver bumped the machine probably backwards, which would be a blindspot, and that's how a fatal mistake can be made.

Arty
09-19-2015, 03:09 AM
I can not imagine.
Goodness. Lots of prayers going up.

Thumper
09-19-2015, 06:41 AM
Yeah NTB ... I have no clue and I know there are many scenarios. I also realize certain common sense procedures get ignored in private situations. In the car business, I had a policy of automatic termination if a mechanic was seen under a car without jack stands. I helped pull a mechanic (his name was Mason) out from under a Cadillac in the shop (Memphis) when I was 17 years old. I saw the whole thing happen from beginning to end and watched as he took his last breath. Later in life, MY mechanics knew the policy, were constantly reminded of that policy and knew I was serious ... not to mention the fact I always had OSHA looking over my shoulders.

Don't get me wrong. Accidents happen ... and I'm comparing a professional auto dealership to a family farm repair. I'm simply hoping someone here may think twice in a similar situation in the future and possibly take an extra small step. Sometimes things like this seem silly ... but it doesn't take much for a routine thing to turn into a disaster. When I worked the mines, I would tag the ignition as well as the controls.

I really shouldn't be preaching here. This is a sad situation all-around ... preventable or not ... it's a terrible accident and stirred up a "childhood" memory I've never been able to (and never will) forget.

Chicken Dinner
09-19-2015, 08:11 AM
The thought of losing even one of my kids is heartbreaking. I can't imagine the pain of losing both. I pray they can find Peace.

LJ3
09-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Holy moly. No family should ever suffer like that.

HideHunter
09-19-2015, 10:29 AM
So sorry to hear this.. I make it a point to get out and walk around my machine before I start it initially in the morning.. I also honk the horn before I fire it. But.. I think about it every time I crawl into the engine compartment (every morning) to grease. There are at least three guys "mechanic-ing", greasing, oiling and wiping glass.. all of who might start the engine for one thing or another. Though it wouldn't have helped here - this incident has made me think. I believe I'll have the keys in my pocket when I'm working up top, or inside, from now on.

Nandy
09-21-2015, 08:02 PM
That is horrible!!!!!

Bwana
09-23-2015, 02:13 PM
How horrible and I'm guessing NTB is likely right about how it happened.