PDA

View Full Version : Weaning off the newspaper

BarryBobPosthole
09-23-2015, 09:36 AM
I've been an avid newspaper reader, call it junkie, for a long time. Blame the St Pete Times as it was the first newspaper I ever picked up worth reading. I think I was like 22 and in the Air Force. So its a long habit. Now with digital editions of both local papers I read daily there'd seemingly be no reason to have one land on the driveway every morning right? For some strange, unknown reason, wrong. Both my wife and I have tried to go totally on line with our newspaper reading but there's always a time when its easier to pick up the entertainment section to look for a movie or to share a news article with each other than doing that on line. We're not so old we clip shit out and send it to our kids like our parents did but we're damned close to it! Especially since only about half of our brood seem to even give a shit about what's going on in the world.

Cue the Thumper. Yes I'm probably a curmudgeon.

BKB

LJ3
09-23-2015, 09:41 AM
I sometimes miss having the Sunday paper around. I'm fine without it but there's something about having that big pile of paper information next to you with a cup of coffee.

BarryBobPosthole
09-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Julie actually goes through all the ads. I'm not sure why, she never buys anything or clips coupons. Our Sunday ritual is I dig out the Sports section first and head to the shitter. She digs out the ads and reads them while she waits for the stench to die down.

bKB

Chicken Dinner
09-23-2015, 09:52 AM
I quit it a while back and went online. I really only missed the Sunday paper. Then they called me up and said they'd give me a year (7 days a week) for $93. That was worth it to me so I said okay. When the year was up I called to cancel and they asked me why and I said it wasn't worth fifty some bucks every six weeks. They asked me what I thought it was worth and I told them $93 for the year and they said okay. While what may interest me and I choose to read has changed, I've been an avid reader since I was in 8th grade. So, it's a hard habit to give up. My high schooler is a current events guy, but gets all his content on-line.

On a related note, neither of my kids watch much TV other than sports. They get all their content on-line via Neftflix or YouTube. I figure broadcast television is the next dying business model.