PDA

View Full Version : Hunting report (Patience)

Bwana
09-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Well, as of last night the world added one more deer hunter to it's ranks when my daughter filled her tag after 12+ hours of sitting in a blind over the course of 4 outings. I'm not sure who was more excited about it, but suffice it to say there was LOTS of smiles, a few hugs, and even a tear or two shed.

Long story short, it looked like another night of not being in the right place as the only deer we had seen were over a quarter of a mile away and going in the wrong direction. Then shortly before sundown deer started coming out of the woods with several headed our way. She was eager to shoot as soon as the deer appeared but I told her to wait and soon they started heading our way. By the time they hit 125 yards out she had had enough waiting, told me she was steady on the deer, and asked if she could shoot. I told her to go ahead when she was ready and "boom!" The doe leapt straight up, mule kicked, and took off running only to pile up about 40 yards later. And then the celebration began!

We got home shortly before 10 PM and by 11 PM it had been butchered, weighed up, and in the freezer ready for making sausage as per her wishes.

I just LOVE seeing the reaction when new hunters get their first taste of success!!

Captain
09-23-2015, 04:34 PM
That is so cool! This is what this site is all about, family and hunting. Tell her congrats and she's got a place to hunt in SC anytime she wants it!

LJ3
09-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Nice! THat looks like damn good shot, too!

Cards01
09-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Way to go!! That is awesome and you can see the excitement on her face

Chicken Dinner
09-23-2015, 09:19 PM
So cool.

Thumper
09-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Cool pics ... but I have a neck-ache now. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
09-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Good job!

BKB

Buckrub
09-23-2015, 09:49 PM
CONGRATS.

Um.......deer in September??? Who do you think you are, South Carolina?

BarryBobPosthole
09-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Way to go!! That is awesome and you can see the excitement on her face

That sure enough is a dandy smile.

BKB

Arty
09-24-2015, 07:40 AM
I saw the pic on Facebook but the story makes all that much better. Congrats to the young huntress!

Fido
09-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Gosh that makes me feel good tooo see young people carrying on the hunting tradition.

Nandy
09-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Awesome! Love to see youngsters involved in the oudoors!

Bwana
09-25-2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys and I have to say, I enjoy nothing more then seeing the smile on a newbie's face when they are successful whether that be hitting their first clay pigeon or getting their first critter.

Funny story: After four nights of sitting without a shot opportunity my daughter was getting a bit frustrated and bored. A few minutes before her doe made its appearance there was a coyote in the same field. After taking a look at it she asked if she could shoot the coyote. I told her that if she did our deer hunt was likely over and we couldn't come back out until this weekend. She then asked how old her brothers were when they shot their first coyote. When I told her they have never shot a coyote she lit up like a light bulb and said, "I want to shoot the coyote!" That was her plan until the doe showed up and headed our way. Funny how quickly she changed her mind as the various opportunities arose.

Almost forgot Bucky, in North Dakota the youth season runs for 9-1/2 days starting at noon on the 3rd Friday of the month, hence the warm weather deer hunt. I've been involved in youth hunts over 6 separate seasons now and it still seems wrong to be hunting when it's so warm out but it works great for the kids.