PDA

View Full Version : Thump - You're missing the boat..

HideHunter
09-29-2015, 10:35 PM
Someone, the other day, (Hank?) mentioned cleaning cast iron with a self-cleaning oven,, You balked.. I didn't say anything because I'd never tried it. I always used the "throw it in the coals" method and had never warped anything. I had two chicken fryers, a Griz and a Wagner, soaking in oven cleaner when the thread came up. Two weeks and three applications (and untold elbow grease) later I'd cleaned about half of it. I knew among the "cast iron community" the oven method was only second behind electrosis, so I went for it. Two hours later - they are perfect and ready to be seasoned.. If I was in your shoes I'd have a tank - or - an "outside" oven (stinks a little). Sheesh, we're talking *waaaaaay easy*.

Thumper
09-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Yeah Hidey, to be honest, that's the only method I've used (electric oven on the self-cleaning setting). But reading the cast iron threads on some of those collector sites, I've read a bazillion warnings about the possibility of warping due to extremely high temps. (I assume that's the "oven method" you're referring to?) I've never been ambitious enough to get set up for electrolysis, which seems to be the hot ticket. I have a buddy who uses a drill motor and a brass brush, but that method doesn't excite me much either. My next attempt was going for the "cover it with oven cleaner and seal it in a trash bag" method. Ya' say that one sucks?

HideHunter
09-30-2015, 08:57 AM
"Cleaning" temp on an oven is approx. 600 degrees.. No problem.

Mine were really crusty - no rust - just tons of use.. Sure sucked for me.

The "throw it in the fire" method is a good chance of problems. Lucky I got by as long as I did.

Thumper
09-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Well, that's the only method I've used so far anyway (oven) ... maybe I'll stick with it. I'm a relative newbie to this stuff, but I'm having fun with it so far. Note: I do NOT like cleaning the stuff and have been pretty lazy ... I'll generally just wash 'em, oil 'em up and offer them in "as is" condition. The laziness is like shooting myself in the foot financially, but I don't want my fun hobby turning into anything resembling "work". ;)

Chicken Dinner
09-30-2015, 09:04 AM
I've never done it, but from what I understand the throw it in the fire method is the one the "experts" disapprove of as you can damage the pan by getting it too hot. Both warping and scaling. The self cleaning oven method is more controlled and works great as long as the smell or mess doesn't piss off your better half. I know even reseasoning my pans tends to smell up the house and I wait until my wife is gone for the weekend before I do a mess of them.

HideHunter
09-30-2015, 09:27 AM
You're right CD.. House stinks a bit. Figured I was on a roll so went ahead and seasoned, this morning, before the wife got out of bed.. the Griz hasn't looked this good in 20 years and I bought the Wagner on a yard sale about 10 years ago ($10) and I just went to using it - so it hadn't been cleaned and re-seasoned since I owned it. I have a couple skillets that are going to need attention sometime - but now that I know how easy it is.. no hurry. ;)

Thumper
09-30-2015, 09:43 AM
Yep, I have a Griswold here that is in sad shape (the crusted on scaly stuff), so I figured I'd be an idiot for not cleaning it before selling it. It's in good shape otherwise ... flat, no pits or wear to the label, etc. ... just years of caked on crud. I'm lucky though, Lynn's at work every day so I can have the smell pretty much cleared out by time she gets home. ;)

Chicken Dinner
09-30-2015, 09:52 AM
I found this bad boy hanging above the stove at my new hunt camp. Near as I can tell these things are going for at least $4-500. I can't wait to put it to use.

Chicken Dinner
09-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Lots of old Griswold iron hanging over on this other wall, too.

Thumper
09-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Crap! That's a lot of money hanging there! Who does all of that belong to CD? Can you give me an address? Do they post an armed guard at night during the off-season? ;)

I keep the no-name stuff here for Lynn to use, but I sell the others. The older no-names are many times Griswolds or Wagners anyway, just manufactured for hardware stores etc, even Sears or Monkey Wards for example. Of course there's the modern Lodge junk you can still buy at Wally World.

Chicken Dinner
09-30-2015, 10:05 AM
It all belongs to the club which was founded almost 85 years ago. Security is tight!

Buckrub
09-30-2015, 12:33 PM
I bet I've got 50 pieces of cast iron. Probably worthless.

But not to me.