PDA

View Full Version : SCORE!!!

Thumper
10-02-2015, 12:07 PM
I went to an estate sale (one of three actually) this morning and did pretty well. Lots of odd & ends that prolly wouldn't excite anyone here, BUT I scored big time on some climbing equipment. I noticed it was all Sala, so I knew it was top of the line stuff, but I had no clue what it was worth. I don't know squat about the stuff, but I threw it all in a pile anyway and asked a price for the whole lot. The guy told me it was his brother's stuff and he used to climb towers ... radio, power, etc. (He's the one who passed away.) Anyway, he glanced at my pile and said, "Would you take it all for $10?" I figured there was no way to lose at that price and threw it in the back of my truck. I just got back home and started researching the stuff. I have two fully equipped Sala Exofit body harness with all the accessories, lifelines, canvas tool pouches, etc etc etc. Once I researched all of it, I have about $1500 worth of equipment here!

Example: There are a couple of descenders in the pile which sell for $250-$300 new ... used ones are bringing $100-$150 each!

BarryBobPosthole
10-02-2015, 12:29 PM
That's a lost art. Or a lost ability I should say. I remember watching my stepdad climb the tower at the radio station my parents now own to replace the beacon when it burned out. He got $10 for doing it. That was about 1968 or so. I think he had some minimal safety equipment. They just replaced that old 200 ft tower a couple years ago.

BKB

Thumper
10-02-2015, 12:46 PM
They had a beacon there that was pretty cool (one he evidently replaced at one time or another). The dang thing stood about 3' high and maybe 1-1/2' in diameter! (they don't look that big from the ground!) Anyway, I thought it would be really cool to put a light inside and mount a table top to it. I asked what he wanted for it and he said he'd take $50. I started to jump on it just because it looked so cool, but it would be a BITCH to ship, so I balked. I mentioned the table idea to him and he fell in love with the idea. I helped him put it aside and he decided to keep it for himself. When I got home I looked it up for shits & grins. There is a pair of them listed for $1500 (doesn't mean they'll sell), but I found one that just sold for $500. I'm thinkin' I may have shot myself in the foot. :(

johnboy
10-02-2015, 02:45 PM
When I was in the Air Force many, many moons ago, I took a high rigger course and spent two weeks climbing everything imaginable. Loved the wood poles and spurs but was not real comfortable up on the steel towers. Just too friggen high for me though I suppose after the first 50 feet it doesn't really matter anymore. If you fall, you're dead. Now a 6 foot step ladder gives me the willies.

Thumper
10-02-2015, 02:58 PM
That's how Cappy feels when we send him for a tall stool! :D