PDA

View Full Version : Against my better judgement

quercus alba
10-06-2015, 01:21 PM
I finally did it. After years of hearing people sing the accolades of boiled peanuts, I finally tried them. I wasn't real sure what to expect so I went in open minded. Salty I think and soft. Now I don't mind soft, in fact soft describes a large facet of my life but I won't go there. I eat several more before I make a decision....... Edible but kinda nasty.

In light of this I cannot in good conscience cast my vote for boiled peanuts as the Good Hunting offical snack food. Instead I nominate a bag of Ruffles and a bowl of pig dip.

Arty
10-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Finally someone that talks sense around this joint!

Boiled peanuts are nasty!

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Try some of these guy's spicy ones. Eddie got me hooked on these and there's purty much always a bag in the freezer during football season.

BKB
http://www.papajohnspeanuts.biz/id31.html

Those goobers are fantastic! Plain ones are very good as well.

Chicken Dinner
10-06-2015, 03:04 PM
I thought they were kind of slimey at first, too. But, I kept at it and developed a liking. Of course, it may have been the wilderberry juice Cappy was plying me with.

Thumper
10-06-2015, 03:32 PM
I heated up a can just this past Sunday afternoon. It was a lazy day ... just laid around watching a bit of TV. Ate a can of Boilt Peanuts with an ice cold can of Cream Soda!

jb
10-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Captain gave me some to try about 10 years ago, still can't get that f*&^en tastes out of my mouth.

Captain
10-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Boiled Peanuts are manna from Heaven.

Nandy
10-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Boiled Peanuts are manna from Heaven.

Praise the Lord!!! And the boiled peanuts!!!!

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2015, 06:35 PM
I heated up a can just this past Sunday afternoon. It was a lazy day ... just laid around watching a bit of TV. Ate a can of Boilt Peanuts with an ice cold can of Cream Soda!

Please explain this 'I heated up a can'

Of what?

BKB

Captain
10-06-2015, 06:41 PM
This is probably what he was talking about

They sell them at all the stores around here.
Not as good as stopping by Chester the Molester roadside stand but they will do in a pinch.

BarryBobPosthole
10-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Never seen 'em here. That doesn't mean they aren't there. I will look.

What section?

We don't have a goober section in our stores.

Thumper
10-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Yeppers, that's them. When they're out of season and no roadside stands are around, I have a pantry shelf full of 'em. Zap 'em for a couple minutes in the microwave or keep 'em in the fridge and eat 'em cold, I like 'em both ways. I also have a gallon size can in case I have company, but I just pulled these two samples for a quick pic. This a regular "green" batch as well as a cajun batch. WallyWorld has 'em.

Thumper
10-06-2015, 07:16 PM
The one's I had Sunday were BBQ flavored. I tried them for the first time. I wouldn't really call it BBQ flavor, more like just a mild kick from some sort of chili. They were good, but I threw the can in the recycle bin and it was picked up yesterday. It was the only one I had and I don't remember what brand it was or where I got it. If you look around, you'll find 'em.

Thumper
10-06-2015, 07:22 PM
They have these at WallyWorld also ... but they were out of them the last time I stocked up. I haven't tried them yet, but they sound like they'd be great with a cold beer!

http://ll-us-i5.wal.co/dfw/dce07b8c-3a3f/k2-_c985108f-936e-481a-878f-8936382b1668.v2.jpg-de6e029aa0153e0b8f4851d56d0f17b81fb0859f-webp-450x450.webp

quercus alba
10-06-2015, 07:53 PM
I don't want to hear anything about us squid eaters

Thumper
10-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Squid or octopus, either one ... bring it on. I can tear that stuff up! Of course I already posted a pic from a recent trip over to the Greek sponge docks for one of my favorite meals of octopus.

And once in a while, when we go out, I'll order the octopus salad.

When in Thailand, if I go to a movie, the standard fare is to stop on the street out front and pick up a dried squid (cuttlefish actually). They run it through a little roller thingy that sort of scores it into little strips. That way, ya' pick up a Coke, then sit in the theater tearing off small strips to eat like popcorn!

http://aphs.worldnomads.com/jessikat/2271/P2240958.jpg

I even keep some at the house here to snack on from time to time. (got a bag of the Chinese version right here at my desk, here's a pic)

Of course, I don't know ANYBODY in their right minds who would turn down fried calamari. I can do some serious damage on that stuff. I normally eat it like French fries or onion rings, but this is a really nice fried calamari & spinach salad. Note: If you can't at least eat FRIED calamari, you're hopeless.

But don't make me eat no nasty-assed oysters. You dufes who suck those slimy balls-o-snot down your throats are sick bastards! ;)

Nandy
10-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Im one of them bastards, last time I was camping in hunting island, sc like 2 years ago and they guy in the seafood store was about to close. I asked for 2 dozens and he gave me all he had left... I ate about 4 dozens and gave what I have left, about 2 dozens to my from site neighbor... I love them...

Now, conch salad is what I loved the most, right after octopus salad... When growing up my mom will get us Goya octopus on it sauce cans to make sandwiches... right out of the can... I would sometimes get fancy and chop some onions... I just got the cravings for that....

Nandy
10-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Oh, and fried calamari is da bomb as an appetizer!!!!

Thumper
10-07-2015, 05:28 PM
When I worked in Beverly Hills, there was a bar/restaurant on the ground floor of the building I worked in. It was a ritzy place of course and I would regularly go down there for a "visit" while waiting for traffic to die down before heading home. (in fact, that's where I was when I met Lynn for the first time) Well, being Beverly Hills, they didn't have the usual crap like popcorn, peanuts or pretzels on the bar for "munchies" ... they kept a constant supply of calamari coming from the kitchen. Heck, I'd nurse a cocktail .... and eat my weight in free calamari every night during happy hour! :D

I like conch also ... that's usually my go-to treat when in Key West .... or the "Conch Republic" as the locals prefer it to be called!

http://www.conchrepublic.com/history.htm

I like most ANYTHING fried, so the fritters are my favorite.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tpugh4Gya0E/TUgMoPJrtmI/AAAAAAAAFs8/2QMBh182yR8/s1600/promenade-conch-fritters.jpg

But I have nothing against the conch salad!

http://www.fiercefoodie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_9152.jpg

Nandy
10-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Yup, a good aged conch salad is awesome. I used to hit it all the time back in the day when I used to go back to PR every other year. We started to do the trip on late summer due to some festivities we wanted to partake but the bad part is that season for conch would be closed so it was hard to find...

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2015, 06:48 PM
I am a conch fiend. Some islands have it some don't. Around St Lucia there were conchs everywhere and I saw literally hundreds on every dive. Every restaurant had fritters or salads. Then this summer on Antigua not a conch to be found. Strange.

One of the more interesting customs I saw in Bonaire was the local folks loved iguana. Mainly in stew it seemed like. We stopped into a local bar and a bunch of friends came in and they (quite illegally it seems) tossed some wriggling bags of iguanas to the lady in the kitchen and in just a half hour or so a great smell came out of the kitchen. They offered some to us but I just couldn't do it. For one, I love iguanas when I see them on the islands For two, you could definitely see identifible body parts being served out of that pot and I couldn't get past the ick factor.

I'm not aware of ever eating any lizard except for some gator tail on a stick I bought at a roadside stand that made me sick.

BKB

Thumper
10-07-2015, 07:29 PM
I've only had iguana once and that was in Mexico. I was at a party and the host was from (I believe Belize). He did the cooking. To be honest, I didn't care for it ... plus I had to fight a bazillion little bones. That's the only time I've had it and it was basically a negative experience. I know there are many different ways to cook it. I'd imagine a BONELESS iguana taco loaded with hot sauce might be palatable ... not sure.

Then again, maybe I just haven't had GOOD iguana.

Nandy
10-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Barry, they are seasonal and if I recall right they will go to a bit deeper water depending on the season so that might have been it of they just plain picked them all ....

DeputyDog
10-08-2015, 09:37 AM
I've had iguana in Mexico too. When we had it, it was fried and on a buffet. It wasn't too bad, and really was a lot like chicken. (No kidding.) The locals in the area were standing on the roadsides selling them live.

BarryBobPosthole
10-08-2015, 09:44 AM

From Bonaire. Deppity, do you see little dotted lines on him when you look at the picture?

BKB

Thumper
10-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Yeppers Barry ... Lynn and I were in ... heck, I can't even remember now, I think it was St. Kitts back in March and walking along the shore line. I think I counted about elebenty-bazillion of those lizards sunning on the rocks before I got tired of counting.

South Florida is inundated with the dang things and back in 2010, we had a cold wave hit for a couple days and they were dropping out of the trees like rain! Once the temperature drops, they just go into a frigging catatonic trance and drop out of the trees. You'd swear they are dead ... until they warm up and come back to life!

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3EFUxzGqQE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>