PDA

View Full Version : BigSky - FoxPro vs Manual call question

Hombre
10-07-2015, 01:04 PM
When I was back in Oklahoma Trav and I use to call predators quite a bit. In fact before this board I spent a lot of time on predatormasters.com, when the site was new. Anyway for the most part I had a favorite call (http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/tally-ho-predator-call-th1red/). That little $7 call brought in a lot of coyotes and a few bobcats. In fact, one year Trav and I decided we'd try our luck at the Coyote calling nationals in Wyoming. The first day I called in 5, and Trav promptly missed 4 of those (He can explain that later).

A few years in I bought a Foxpro, but I never could get as comfortable with it as I was using that simple mouth call. I think a lot of reasons impacted my success with it, but the primary was just being comfortable. My questions for you are:

1) Do you solely use a Foxpro or do you alternate between manual calls

2) Do you set the Foxpro a decent distance from you, how far?

3) If it is setting away from you are you using any remote movement decoys?

4) Do you alternate noises at anytime using the foxpro?

5) What other techniques do you incorporate that makes you like an electronic call vs manual

Big Skyz
10-07-2015, 01:51 PM

I use a combination of FoxPro and hand calls.

Usually 20 to 30 yards, rarely further than that unless the terrains dictates I have to.

No

I almost always use different sound sequences and do not stay with one sound for more than about 8 to 10 minutes.

5) What other techniques do you incorporate that makes you like an electronic call vs manual
I like to vary the volume up and down. I also like the fact that with an e-caller the animal's attention is focused on where the sound is coming from rather than on me. There is far less movement on the stand if you are using an electronic call as I'm not raising a manual call to my mouth constantly. However, I do mix it up and use both. I often use a manual call to start a stand with a howl. I also use it for pup in distress sounds while playing a fighting coyote or other pup in distress sounds on the e-caller. I'm trying to make the coyote think there are multiple coyotes in the area. If he/she hears the sounds come from two different locations it should seem like more than one coyote. Also I am completely convinced that coyotes can hear some kind of electronic signature on e-callers. If they have been called much with e-caller they learn to avoid them. (The same can be said for certain brands of manual calls as well.) I've learned by adding the manual sounds I can often suck a cautious coyote into rifle range. With that said, I'm also convinced there are coyotes out there that can be nearly impossible to call in if they've had too many close calls.

Hombre
10-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks. Oddly enough I never even thought of using them together. I can see where that would be really useful, especially starting with a mouth call and alternating to an electronic. I completely agree with having the call away and reducing movement, that's the reason I bought mine in the first place. Since I moved to WA. I haven't done much but it may be time to get back out and try it again. Thanks for the tips

Boh

Big Skyz
10-07-2015, 04:12 PM
One of my other favorite and very effective favorite tricks is to run the fighting magpie sound on my FoxPro while I make dying rabbit or bird sounds on my hand call. Works really well.

Hombre
10-07-2015, 04:47 PM
One of my favorite stands I ever made was an evening that I barely thought I had time to make it out. My father in law raised cattle and had about 160 acres with a creek that ran through the middle. I'd figured out that if I sat outside the tree's and tried to call coyotes out they were pretty cautious. If I actually set up in the trees I could get them a lot closer.

So, I took a shotgun and decided to try and make a call. i called for about 20 minutes and then saw some movement coming down the edge of the tree line on the same side of the creek I was on. For a while I didn't see anything else then a bobcat just seemed to appear. At this point it was probably within 30 yards. It moved slow and would move a little then sit, then move a little then sit, always looking in my direction. I ended up shooting it at about 15-20 yards. The cat was around 30 pounds and I had a mount made with it on a piece of drift wood.

Another was with Trav. Calling in a creek bed I was on one side and Trav was on the other. I had been calling for about 5 minutes and I look over and Trav is pointing, directly at me. I can't figure out why he is pointing and then I heard something moving. I looked right above me on a rock that was probably 10 feet above my position. There was a coyote looking down over the top. I ended up shooting him through the chest. He barked and jumped over me into the creek and died. Took me a bit to let the adrenaline settle from that one.

No-till Boss
10-07-2015, 05:25 PM
When I was back in Oklahoma Trav and I use to call predators quite a bit. In fact before this board I spent a lot of time on predatormasters.com, when the site was new. Anyway for the most part I had a favorite call (http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/tally-ho-predator-call-th1red/). That little $7 call brought in a lot of coyotes and a few bobcats. In fact, one year Trav and I decided we'd try our luck at the Coyote calling nationals in Wyoming. The first day I called in 5, and Trav promptly missed 4 of those (He can explain that later).

A few years in I bought a Foxpro, but I never could get as comfortable with it as I was using that simple mouth call. I think a lot of reasons impacted my success with it, but the primary was just being comfortable. My questions for you are:

1) I run a CS24 Fox Pro and I hardly ever use a manual call anymore.

2) 10-15 yards max and sometimes closer

3) if I'm calling across a field, I'm using a remote decoy every time.

4) Yes but only as a last resort

5) Volume control and the Fox bang feature .

I'm not Sky, but predator hunting is all I do anymore...... other than when daughter makes me go duck hunting with her.

BarryBobPosthole
10-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Been there and can attst to the chest thumping. Trav and I were camped on HM's place one year and I was hunting one morning with my back to a steep rock bluff. I had four does jump damn near right over me and scared the shit out of me. Shot one of them when they finally slowed down enough that I could make sure none had horns. That sure was a difficult drag. In fact, you might have been there, I'm not sure. The snow was barely flying that day.

And I killed two coyotes that morning as well on that bluff. I'm a murderin sonofabitch.

Thumper
10-07-2015, 05:40 PM
That doe was a buck afore ya' blew his balls off! ;)

Nandy
10-07-2015, 06:20 PM
I had deer approach me from behind and look into my portable blind. This has happen twice at the same creek bed. Also, in the same creek bed I had deer stand on top of the bed creek side looking down on me. I almost nailed one moving really slow. All of those have been young bucks. I cant set up at the other side of the creek bed top because the creek is the boundary. If I set up on my side of the creek side top all I can see is trees, cant shoot... All of those has caused a very rapid raise of my heart palpitations I assure you. Then a few years back we had one guy working the other creek bottoms, he was in a chair when a cotton tail just like lighting went running under his chair with a coyote right on the rabbit tail. it was not until both of them had past him several yards before our guy finally unfroze and unloaded on the coyote which he failed. I bet that one got him cleaning his pants although he would not admit it....

Nandy
10-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Back into the subject, I love to call in coyotes but in our dense woods there is almost no way to spot them before they spot you. I have kill quite a few, actually, my first yote was at larke's SC farm. I was expecting deer but after a long wait that yote showed up and I was not about to come down with my hands empty. I let it fly, dropped on the spot. I still vividly remember dragging that coyote as larke was approaching on this ATV cheering with a big smile in his face!

Hombre
10-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Barry - I remember it but I wasn't there. Seems like I came out a day or so after because I remembering hearing the story at deer camp.

No-Till - I kind of went through the phase of predator hunting was about all I did too. I enjoy all hunting more when calling is involved. I deer hunt but to be honest I really lack the patience for that. When I predator hunt I usually make stands about 30 minutes. That's more my speed.

No-till Boss
10-07-2015, 07:01 PM
No-Till - I kind of went through the phase of predator hunting was about all I did too. I enjoy all hunting more when calling is involved. I deer hunt but to be honest I really lack the patience for that. When I predator hunt I usually make stands about 30 minutes. That's more my speed.

I hunted/killed everything for a looooong time, got to where I dreaded it. Best part about predator hunting, I can hunt anywhere at anytime. I've had some really good success at high noon . My average lenght of time in a set is 20ish minutes .

Big Skyz
10-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Reasons I love coyote hunting in Montana: no bag limits, no closed season, no license required, I can hunt them 24/7. Other than landowner permission there are basically no rules and for the most part the wardens leave me alone.

No Till I run both a CS24 and a Shockwave depending on where I'm hunting. I just picked a little light weight Inferno for keeping in my day pack all the time. It should be perfect for mountain hunting or while hunting deer, bear, or antelope and I see a good spot for a quick coyote calling stand. The thing only weighs 1.5 lbs.

No-till Boss
10-08-2015, 06:55 AM
I hear you Big Sky, the best part is,when you're successful, you walk over, take a picture and turn around and leave. No cleaning ! lol We're so unpopulated right here, I never ask permission, I don't ever go far, from the truck and I make short stands where no one would ever go hunting execpt for maybe a rabbit. A mountain here would be a foot and half rise in elevation........flat !

Hombre
10-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Do I get some sort of superuser badge? Nandy - Go ahead and hook me up

This post was
A) about hunting and
B) stayed on topic for 13 posts

Nandy
10-08-2015, 05:22 PM
This site only gives points for political threads. So you have to beat Barry and Bucky....

Thumper
10-08-2015, 05:25 PM
I killed a 'yote from my deer stand while hunting in Georgia once, but I've never actually been coyote hunting. It seems like it would be a blast!