PDA

View Full Version : A couple of neat estate sale finds ...

Thumper
10-09-2015, 02:05 PM
I hit the sales this morning and picked up a handful of items, but I thought a couple of them were really cool. I won't get too detailed in my descriptions because I'll probably be listing them soon (if not this weekend), and Google is not my friend when I post my costs here.

Here's an old, horn type radio speaker. This particular model is selling for $200-$250 (paid $15). It has the driver and original wiring/plugs.

I also picked up a cool old (rather rare) fan. (brass blades, 3-speed, oscillating) that is bringing $250, in this condition, all day long ($550 restored). (paid $20)

I love my job! :D

Bwana
10-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Thumper,
You've pointed out that a person needs to keep their eyes open for potential coin that can be found in the strangest places. Thanks for that.

Trying to remember where I've seen some of these things laying around in the past. Hmmm...

Thumper
10-09-2015, 02:15 PM
At one of the sales this morning, the gal told me she will be having a "picker" sale in November that will only be open to her regular customers. She said the lady who passed away had been in the house for a bazillion years and was a major hoarder. She said everything in the house is ancient and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to her hoarding .... there's a little bit of EVERYTHING. She knows me well and said it's ALL the kind of stuff I LOVE to buy. She said the house is in very poor condition and she's only going to open it up to a chosen few ... NOT to the public. I didn't ask her to elaborate as some other people walked into the area where we were talking. Heck, I'm not sure what she means ... roof caving in? Floorboards rotted out? No electricity? Who knows, but I'm chomping at the bit to get in there and start digging! She said it'll prolly be late November. I HOPE it's late ... Lynn and I will be in Los Angeles for 10 days in early November. I SURE hope I'll be in town.

Thumper
10-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Bwana, I've sold a ton of old fans and probably have 30-35 in my inventory right now. The price shoots up if they work and people go nuts if they have brass blades. Of course an oscillating fan brings more than a fixed model. The one above is a bit on the rare side. This one is more common and I just sold it two days ago for $100 (paid $7.50).

airbud7
10-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Hey Thump...are you any kin to Mike and Frank...?

Thumper
10-09-2015, 02:37 PM
I think I posted these pics before. There was an old clock repair place locally and the old man who owned it, passed away. His widow held an estate sale herself and let my buddy and me in early to have the first option at whatever we wanted. Although he did clock repairs, his hobby was restoring old fans. A fully restored fan is pretty pricey, but he had a shit-load of old "junkers" in his shop that he'd planned on restoring, but had not gotten to them yet. I walked in, took one look and offered her $500 for the lot (I didn't even count them). Once I got them home, I figured I paid $10-$12 each for them. They've already paid for themselves and I still have a bunch of them to sell. Here are "some" of them.

Although old fans are popular, some do not bring much money, plus many of those older fans have cast iron bases and heavy motors. Shipping can get a bit pricey, so once I figure my cost, plus shipping and Ebay/PayPal fees ... there won't be a lot of room on some of them. Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's worth a lot. You have to be careful with some of this stuff.

Thumper
10-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Ha ha! Airbud, I've been to their Nashville store. MAN-O-MAN are they high priced! I never miss their show! That would be my dream job! ;)

Arty
10-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Ha ha! Airbud, I've been to their Nashville store. MAN-O-MAN are they high priced! I never miss their show! That would be my dream job! ;)
Ummmm dude. That IS your job.
Only thing you are missing is a dark headed SHORT fellow as your side kick.

Too bad we don't know anyone who fits that bill. :)

No-till Boss
10-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Ummmm dude. That IS your job.
Only thing you are missing is a dark headed SHORT fellow as your side kick.

Too bad we don't know anyone who fits that bill. :)

And a tatted up chick to answer the phone !

Thumper
10-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Well, I do have a side-kick these days. My childhood buddy (of 56 years!) retired last year and tagged along with me one weekend. That was about 13-14 months ago. He became instantly hooked and hasn't missed a weekend yet. There have been a few times I was out of town for the weekend and he'd go by himself. So, I have the side-kick, but he's my height, light-haired and skinny! ;)

BTW .... Bwana ... if you stumble upon one of these junky old fans lying around in a barn someplace, pick it up for me, I'll send ya' $10 for it! (this one just sold last week for $6260.00!!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-INTERIOR-CONDUIT-INSULATION-Co-Electric-Fan-Pancake-104-Volt-c1900-NR-/291575477581?hash=item43e340b54d&nma=true&si=7eU%252BumqrbUiCJjNClk9lC1hm%252F0A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/vvUAAOSwuTxWCGq5/s-l1600.jpg

HideHunter
10-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Hey Thump...are you any kin to Mike and Frank...?

Not a "fan".. true story - I know the people involved on "this end". Pre-TV show.. There was an old boy in Burlington (IA) who had accumulated dozens and dozens of old motorcycles and thousands of parts. If we needed anything.. it was our first stop and for an hour of visiting and a couple bucks, it was almost a lead-pipe cinch you would walk out with what ever part you needed. This was one of the true old-time "junk" guys. If you needed a fender for a 1961 Bultaco - he had one and he knew where it was.

Enter Mike and Frank.. Everyone knew Lyle drank a bit and sometimes a 6 pack was a bit of a help in "finding" parts. ;) . "Mike and Frank" showed up one day with a couple cases and basically walked off (two truck loads) with anything that was anything.. Lyle's kids tried to sue but their 'paperwork" was in order.. Watched the show once to see what it was.. no longer interested..

airbud7
10-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Wow HideHunter that was a eye opener right there^.....I bet Thump has done the same crap as them too...made all other pickers at the estate sale mad as hell.....:welcoming:

Arty
10-09-2015, 11:24 PM
Not a "fan".. true story - I know the people involved on "this end". Pre-TV show.. There was an old boy in Burlington (IA) who had accumulated dozens and dozens of old motorcycles and thousands of parts. If we needed anything.. it was our first stop and for an hour of visiting and a couple bucks, it was almost a lead-pipe cinch you would walk out with what ever part you needed. This was one of the true old-time "junk" guys. If you needed a fender for a 1961 Bultaco - he had one and he knew where it was. Enter Mike and Frank.. Everyone knew Lyle drank a bit and sometimes a 6 pack was a bit of a help in "finding" parts. ;) . "Mike and Frank" showed up one day with a couple cases and basically walked off (two truck loads) with anything that was anything.. Lyle's kids tried to sue but their 'paperwork" was in order.. Watched the show once to see what it was.. no longer interested..

Wow. That just hit me hard! What a crock. I certainly believe you, but damn.... What a back story!

Thumper
10-10-2015, 07:13 AM
Hidey-Ho, I've always wondered about the show itself ... whether the network kicks in some payola. They're just "too kind" sometimes. On the show, if someone isn't asking enough, they'll tell them their price is too low and offer more money. I've seen the same thing on "Pawn Stars". I guess when you're in a position to be scrutinized by the world on National television, you pretty much have to walk the line, especially if you're running a business. You say "pre-tv show" ... they've been doing this a lot of years ... I'd guess it's possible to learn and mature along the way. Who knows?

That said, there is a LOT of gambling in this "business" and it IS a business. The whole idea is to buy low and sell high, not unlike any other business. I have a truckload of crap here that I've bought on a gamble, only to find out it was worthless. I'm piling it up for a future "yard sale". With some things there just isn't enough room to pay the fees and shipping ... not to mention time, gas, depreciation, etc, which is a valid CODB for any legitimate business. Remember, they travel extensively and have vehicle, hotel, meals and a bazillion other related expenses. They also have two brick and mortar stores as well as employees, insurance, advertising, utilities and all other associated business expenses as well as taxes. I'm not defending anyone, just pointing out the other side. I've also seen them buy something on a gamble and promise that, once they do some research and get it appraised, if it's worth more, they'll give the seller the extra cash ... and they follow through. They've also donated some major finds to various museums because they thought a particular item should stay "close to home". On the flip side, they've lost their asses on some deals. Does that make the seller the bad guy? What's legit and what's not when it comes to "reality shows".

As for your gripe ...

Everyone knew Lyle drank a bit and sometimes a 6 pack was a bit of a help in "finding" parts.

It sounds like sour grapes to me due to the fact someone else found the same honey-hole (and maybe questionable tactics) the locals had been enjoying all along. Who are the bad guys here? Hello pot ... meet kettle. ;)

HideHunter
10-10-2015, 07:51 PM
As for your gripe ...

It sounds like sour grapes to me due to the fact someone else found the same honey-hole (and maybe questionable tactics) the locals had been enjoying all along. Who are the bad guys here? Hello pot ... meet kettle. ;)

Suit yourself.. they fucked him out of anything that was anything.. Literally thousands (and thousands) worth of dollars. the difference was - we "locals" often gave him old parts.. it was great fun and a great resource.. Ruined him. His hobby was his life. He died an unhappy man... and you know what? ... You, Mike and Frank can all stick it in your ass..

BarryBobPosthole
10-10-2015, 07:54 PM
I may go become a meteorite hunter. You seen what those go for?

It may be the only remaining honorable profession.

BKB

airbud7
10-10-2015, 08:20 PM
I may go become a meteorite hunter. You seen what those go for?

It may be the only remaining honorable profession.

BKB

Me to^......Hey Barry.... I heard there were some big diamonds in the ground not far from you?

BarryBobPosthole
10-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Mt Ida, Arkansas. A lady found a big one there just a little while ago. Seems like it happens about once a year or so. I knew someone that used to go dig those tailings for crystal back when folks believed they had powers. He'd make a couple hundred in a weekend of digging around usually, which at the time was walking around money for him.

BKB

No-till Boss
10-10-2015, 09:10 PM
The digging for diaminds is at Murfreesboro .

airbud7
10-10-2015, 09:15 PM
OK here's the deal Barry...I ride to Mt Ida, Arkansas and meet you there...we'll spend a couple days digging for diamonds.... then we'll head off to northern Arizona to that meteorite impact site and find some meteorite stuff... I figure we'll have enough diamonds and meteorite shit that we could retire early...what say you?....

PS: Don't tell Thump!...He will just want to go so he can split the cash...

BarryBobPosthole
10-10-2015, 09:33 PM
But he's the only one I know with a metal detector.

BKB

airbud7
10-10-2015, 09:38 PM
But he's the only one I know with a metal detector.

BKB

yea^ you got a good point there...I guess we should let the old fart go to :oldfart

Captain
10-10-2015, 10:29 PM
You could just take him to a KFC and trade him a buffet meal for one of them detectors ....

Thumper
10-10-2015, 10:58 PM
you know what? ... You, Mike and Frank can all stick it in your ass.

Ha ha! Dang Hidey-Ho ... relax ... take a red maaaan! I don't know these guys personally, but they have an interesting, educational and entertaining show that I enjoy watching. So shoot me. I had a buddy in L.A. who would drink himself into a stupor, then blow his whole bank account in Vegas. Who's fault was that? The State of Nevada? You're starting to sound like a Democrat ... where's the personal responsibility here?

He died an unhappy man...

I'd say anyone who consistantly drinks himself into a state of dumbassery was probably an unhappy man to begin with. Just sayin'.

P-hole ... I'm in! I know where a big ol' chunk of meteorite is in Scottsdale, Az ... but it weighs about a bazillion tons. We may need a crane! Maybe Cappy can bring his front-end loader. ;)

HideHunter
10-11-2015, 07:03 AM
You're just begging for a fight aren't you.?. I told you what they did and you are fine with it - I'm not. This will be my last comment on the subject.. See my above post..

Thumper
10-11-2015, 08:19 AM
You're just begging for a fight aren't you.?. see my above post..

No, I'm really not, especially with someone whom I highly respect. I simply think you're going a bit far with your personal attack and I have a tendency to look at BOTH sides of any issue. You obviously have an emotional interest in your story and that's fine ... admirable even, but at the same time, I think your personal connection may be a bit blinding to you. Then to drag me into it and lump me in with what your perceive to be scum of the earth, has a tendency to push me into defense mode. You don't think something like this is going a little bit too far (especially considering the fact it's not particularly said in a "jokingly" manner and I don't even know these people personally)?

...you know what? ... You, Mike and Frank can all stick it in your ass..

HideHunter
10-11-2015, 09:04 AM
lol.. unbelievable.. I'm not sure how you worked yourself around to being the "victim" here.. :poke You're the one who jumped in with the whole "sour grapes pot/kettle" thing. My "stick it" comment was aimed only at the fact you would defend such thing - for any reason, or under any circumstance - and I wouldn't for a moment, "lump you in" with those gentlemen. This wasn't a "Ha Ha, I got a buy on that" scenario. This was a well thought out scheme. I think I "know" you well enough to know - you'd have had no part of this. You and I see this one on a different level.. I'm going to let it go... I apologize for the 'stick it" thing - I should have said, "bite me".. ;)

Thumper
10-11-2015, 09:08 AM
A virtual hug sounds good to me ... consider it done. ;)

Now I have to go wake up a sleeping bear and see if she still wants to head over to the coast today. Wish me luck! (I'm hoping she'd rather sleep in so I can watch the race today) :D

Captain
10-11-2015, 09:12 AM
If you do it doggie style you BOTH can watch the race... :D

HideHunter
10-11-2015, 09:13 AM
lol.. "luck".. and if there's any "hugging" to be done - I'd prefer to hug her, if that's okay? :biggrin Still running the combine 10 hours a day 6 days a week. Just went over 2000 acres with about that to go. Think the wife and I are going fishing today.. Have a good one.

Thumper
10-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Ha ha ha! Dang Cappy ... I like the way you think! I may just have to go suggest that!

NO WAIT!!! Who's gonna cook lunch for me?? :confused:

You too Hidey-Ho ... catch some big ones! I'm out'ta here!

BarryBobPosthole
10-11-2015, 09:42 AM
But what about Airbud's and my meteorites?

Don't we at least get a hug?

BKB

LJ3
10-11-2015, 09:45 AM
At one of the sales this morning, the gal told me she will be having a "picker" sale in November that will only be open to her regular customers. She said the lady who passed away had been in the house for a bazillion years and was a major hoarder. She said everything in the house is ancient and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to her hoarding .... there's a little bit of EVERYTHING. She knows me well and said it's ALL the kind of stuff I LOVE to buy. She said the house is in very poor condition and she's only going to open it up to a chosen few ... NOT to the public. I didn't ask her to elaborate as some other people walked into the area where we were talking. Heck, I'm not sure what she means ... roof caving in? Floorboards rotted out? No electricity? Who knows, but I'm chomping at the bit to get in there and start digging! She said it'll prolly be late November. I HOPE it's late ... Lynn and I will be in Los Angeles for 10 days in early November. I SURE hope I'll be in town.

If it's the floorboards you may want to send Lynn in with a remote camera. Just sayin' :)

That sounds like a good sale! I'd be lickin' my chops if I were you!

No-till Boss
10-11-2015, 10:34 AM
lol.. "luck".. and if there's any "hugging" to be done - I'd prefer to hug her, if that's okay? :biggrin Still running the combine 10 hours a day 6 days a week. Just went over 2000 acres with about that to go. Think the wife and I are going fishing today.. Have a good one.

Does the whole farm take off on Sundays, or is it just you taking a break ?

HideHunter
10-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Does the whole farm take off on Sundays, or is it just you taking a break ?

Yep - great system.. we try to shut down at 7:00 p.m. (bad things happen after dark - especially when everyone is tired) - and no work on Sundays.. I'm pretty much always ready for Sundays. ;) How's your harvest going down there? We've had great weather (as in "dry"). Corn is dry - beans are dry (we're done) and stuff is coming out *fast*.

No-till Boss
10-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Yep - great system.. we try to shut down at 7:00 p.m. (bad things happen after dark - especially when everyone is tired) - and no work on Sundays.. I'm pretty much always ready for Sundays. ;) How's your harvest going down there? We've had great weather (as in "dry"). Corn is dry - beans are dry (we're done) and stuff is coming out *fast*.

We'll start soybeans tomorrow. It was a very smooth harvest so far, we have a lot of field work done for next year already.

The reason I ask, is no one here stops here on Sundays, they used to maybe 30 years ago so so. But now, with combines that will cut 50-75 thousand dollars of crop a day, no one takes off, and most cut at night it the weather permits too.

HideHunter
10-11-2015, 12:01 PM
understood.. There'll be a lot of machines in the field today here also (and you can find some running here 24 hrs).. I run a machine for my BIL and sister.. They are pretty spiritual folks - plus, when you have 8 hands, running full tilt and your harvest runs a couple months - it's just good business..

BarryBobPosthole
10-11-2015, 12:07 PM
How many deer do you chase out of the beans when you start early in the morning? I drove through your neck of the woods early in the AM up the Ave of the Saints and it seems like there were deer in every beanfield.

BKB

HideHunter
10-11-2015, 12:28 PM
As soon as the beans ripen, the deer pretty much quit them until the weather really toughens. Then they'll flock to standing beans if they can find them. We're on corn now - and they'll start moving into the picked corn the last couple hours of light. Mostly does - but they aren't a bit concerned by the machinery. Right now - they're spending more time on the ridges. They'll be on the acorns in another couple weeks.

No-till Boss
10-11-2015, 12:45 PM
understood.. There'll be a lot of machines in the field today here also (and you can find some running here 24 hrs).. I run a machine for my BIL and sister.. They are pretty spiritual folks - plus, when you have 8 hands, running full tilt and your harvest runs a couple months - it's just good business..

Thanks for the replies, they remind me of years gone bye . It makes me remember when we would shut-down for lunch and supper and eat as a group fixed my the women folk . We pack in now with coolers, and my feet never touch the ground from the start to the finish of the day........ things are way different now.

Trav
10-11-2015, 09:47 PM
I remember going up to Wisconsin to work on my grandparents farm in the summers as a kid. We worked 6 days a week and quit at 11 for lunch every day. We would get to the house and grandma would have lunch for the whole family and the 5 or 6 hired hands. It's funny at the time I hated going up there to work but looking back they were some of my best times.

HideHunter
10-12-2015, 09:37 PM
We have kind of a unique crew. My sister is the other combine operator (38 years experience) and 4 of us are old, retired guys who only work a couple months a year.. and these are the months. ;). We do carry our lunches and like you, NT, there are days I never step off the machine. BIL is a hell of a mechanic and can fix most anything. What he can't do off the top of his head - he does over the cell phone. Most days we run 2 carts (some days three) and three semis (some days 4). Absolutely great crew and not a bit of deadwood in the bunch.