PDA

View Full Version : Dangit! This is frustrating!

Thumper
10-12-2015, 03:21 PM
I was just digging through the pile of old fans I bought a while back and pulled one out that looked a bit interesting. I've spent the whole afternoon trying to research it. The frustrating thing is, I can't find another one exactly like it. The even more frustrating thing is, I've found a few that are really close (same general style, but a little different design) that are evidently worth some pretty good scratch. Now, I found a bazillion of this make fan in the traditional designs like conventional fixed/oscillating desk/table fans, pedestal fans, etc. ... but not the design I'm looking for.

I found one where the auction house set the appraisal at $700-$1000! I found one (working) that actually sold for $575.00, and one that didn't work, sold for parts at $172.50. I found another listed for sale at $1650.00!!! (I HOPE it sells for that, but I have my doubts) and I found another for sale at $950.00.

But, like I stated above, the problem is, they are very close to what I have, but still different. The REALLY crappy thing is, I have been unable to find one exactly like mine. That "could" be a good thing, as it "could" mean it's extremely rare. But the bad thing is, I have no clue how to price it. I could run an auction ... but I'd hate to start off at $20 and later find out it's worth $2000! (very doubtful, I'm just trying to make a point) On the flip side, I'd hate to look like an idiot by starting an auction at $1500.00 ... only to find out the things is worth $15.00!

Anyway, here's a pic of one listed at $1650.00. (it's in really nice condition)

https://a.1stdibscdn.com/archivesE/upload/9939/31_13/5509/5509_l.JPG

And here's the beast I have (I haven't cleaned it up yet). They're both made by the same company and there's only 1-inch difference between this one and the one above:

BarryBobPosthole
10-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Cool fan! Almost looks like a very early Vornado, whoch makes about the best fans I've ever seen.

BKB

Thumper
10-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Ha! Yeah, I sold an old Vornado a while back. They're similar to the above in principal I suppose, but have a solid "cage" around them. The one's above are old K-M (Knapp-Monarch) units.

Thumper
10-12-2015, 05:32 PM
I just checked, but no longer have a pic of the old Vornado I sold. It was similar to this one....

http://www.rcrescent.com/ESW/Images/VintageB24C1.jpg

Bwana
10-13-2015, 09:28 AM
Maybe the gent who refurbished the fan combined parts of the original fan with those of another to make his own creation. Is that possible?

Thumper
10-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Maybe the gent who refurbished the fan combined parts of the original fan with those of another to make his own creation. Is that possible?

Naaaa, really doubtful. It "looks" factory and hasn't been refurbished that I can tell (other than the cord has been replaced). The K-M emblem is welded to the cage and the original factory K-M specs. decal is affixed to the motor. I have no doubt it's factory ... but I've been all over the internet and just haven't been able to find a match. The real pisser is, the decal has the model (catalog) number listed and the decal is complete ... EXCEPT for a scratch right through the number! (so I can't read it) :(

BarryBobPosthole
10-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Ain't trying to tell you your business, but you can always come down on your price but you can't go up. So list it at the higher price and make sure the dimensions and so forth are there and if it doesn't sell you can always pull it and relist it later.

BKB

Thumper
10-13-2015, 09:50 AM
I've thought of that P-hole ... but there's a huge difference between $20 and $2000! I'd sure like to at least have a ball park idea. The principle of an auction is the fact you can start it at 99-cents if you want and it'll naturally "find" it's market price selling point. BUT ... I've seen that backfire. I've seen things worth 100's of dollars that sold for zilch because ... well, who knows? Sometimes they slip under the radar. An auction only runs 7 or 10 days, so it may not be seen by all interested parties unless they're searching on a daily basis. So to start low at auction is something I don't have the balls to do. But to start at $2000 (arbitrary figure) and work my way down to a possible market value of $20 would take a while! I'll figure it out as I'm in no hurry ... but it just sucks not knowing a darn thing going in.

I seriously doubt it's a mega-bucks item. I'd simply like a bit of an education on it before I try to sell it.

BarryBobPosthole
10-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Wow, there is an Antique Fan Collectors Assoc website. I'll bet you could get it identified there. I didn't register but looks like its pretty easy to. Like here!

BKB

http://www.afcaforum.com/view_forum.php?id=5&sort_by=&page=2

Thumper
10-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Yep, I visit their site quite often since I have a room full of these old fans. I haven't joined, but I may some day just to ask about things like this. I've searched their site also and didn't find a match anywhere.

I have another fan listed at auction right now that doesn't close for another 4-5 days (listed it for 7 days) and the bidding is at $100 so far ... but it's on EIGHT watch lists, so there are some potential bidders waiting in the wings already! :D