PDA

View Full Version : true modern day farmer song?

airbud7
10-12-2015, 05:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc823UD0LeU

Bwana
10-13-2015, 09:26 AM
What is the question ab7?

As for the tradition of farming and how it gets in your blood, that is still very much a thing. The concern with low commodity prices coupled with ever-increasing input costs is a HUGE threat to those who try to make a living off of the land. If it weren't for the efficiencies farmers have developed over the years with improved technology, etc. if would be awfully tough to make it. What other business do you know where the cost of what you are growing and selling has remained nearly the same for 40 years, of course with some ups and downs during that time, but yet the cost of fuel, fertilizer, machinery, etc. needed to produce that product continues to go up on a yearly basis. One thing I know, farming is a calculated gamble and a very stressful way to make a living but is also extremely rewarding.

I know lots of city folks think farming is a breeze but I would love to see those same folks put in the hours and hard work that farmers do and see if they change their tune after spending a week at it. Couple that with the stress of doing everything right only to have your crops wiped out by a hailstorm, too much rain, not enough rain, insects, disease, etc. It can take a toll.

Thumper
10-13-2015, 09:58 AM
On the flip side ... I know a couple'a farmers who are multi-bazillionairs! In fact, I suppose one of 'em is one of No Till's competitors ... all he grows is rice.

Bwana
10-13-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm not saying there isn't money to be made, more with some crops than with others but what you can raise successfully also depends on conditions in the area where you farm, i.e. weather, soil, etc.

Thumper
10-13-2015, 11:09 AM
So true ... but I tend to look at it like any other business ... there are inherent risks in any of them. Heck, even MY business was dependent on the weather! One thing about farming, you will ALWAYS have buyers as people cannot live without food. If you're selling ski boats for example, a bad economy can put you out of business overnight, but people still need to eat. I've known "poor" family dirt farmers ... but during my time in the car business, I knew quite a few filthy rich farmers too! Business is business, all have their pitfalls as well as potential for success. Broke is broke, there ain't much difference between a broke farmer and a broke construction worker.

BarryBobPosthole
10-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Its those retired ones you gotta keep your eye on!

BKB

Thumper
10-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Its those retired ones you gotta keep your eye on!

BKB

Especially those muddy ol' Mississippi types!

Bwana
10-13-2015, 11:38 AM
I hear what you are saying Thumper, but car dealers get to set their price, farmers don't.

To show what I am talking about, look up what the price of barley and hard red spring wheat (both of which are used to make a lot of food) were in the 1970's or 1980's and then compare those values to what they are today. I think you will be surprised.

Thumper
10-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Bwana, I know what you're saying ... I really do. I'm a city boy so I haven't had a whole lot of interaction with farmers that don't do so well, ALL the farmers I dealt with were what I'd call "filthy rich". I know it's not a fair cross-section, but like I said, ANY business has it's bumps ... it's ups and downs. The ONE thing a farmer can count on is there will ALWAYS be a demand for food. My grandfather was in the office supply business and his specialty was typewriters. When the demand for his product dropped, he got no "subsidies" .... computers (word processors) put him out of business. That probably wouldn't have happened if he'd owned a grocery store! Again, people always have to eat. Nobody is 100% safe. It's like lobster fishermen complaining about the market during hard times ... people will be eating talapia instead.

Price comparisons are relative ... Supply and demand play a part, but so does volume and technology. Thanks to technology, what an acre of land produced 40-50 years ago can't compare to what that same acre will produce today. I remember in the early 80's I wanted a VCR ... they were running $2500.00! When they finally got down to $1800.00, the price leveled out and I figured they'd never go any lower. The last one I saw at Wally World was selling for $79.95. There are a bazillion examples.

Again, I would never slam farmers ... for one, it would be about as un-politically correct as one could get ... but I really don't have a whole lot of sympathy for many of the farmers I've known in my lifetime who had a bazillion acres of property, a monster house, a summer lake house, belonged to an exclusive duck hunting club and had to build an extra barn just to store their boats, ATV's, motor home and misc. toys ... then gripe about the $600,000 combine they have to buy.