PDA

View Full Version : What'cha think?

Thumper
10-13-2015, 09:26 AM
I bought a small collection of vintage model airplane engines at a estate sale a while back and sold them on eBay. Some guy in Australia bought them. A few days after shipping, I received a message that they'd been confiscated by Customs (in Kentucky) and would not be forwarded (or returned to me!). I checked and double checked everything listed on the banned or restricted items list and there is no mention of anything remotely related. I contacted eBay Customer Service and talked to one of their shipping experts ... they were clueless as to why the shipment was stopped and are unaware of any restrictions. The weird part is, everyone is whole ... they not only let me keep the payment I was given, but they even reimbursed the buyer the amount he paid me. WTF? Ya' think some dude in Customs is a collector and wanted these things? This is weird ... nobody has any idea what's going on or why ... AND, there's nobody to ask! Here's the message I received:

Dear James,

We are writing to inform you that your recent GSP transaction to XXXX XXXX cannot be completed. The item was stopped (by Customs) at the Global Shipping Center, and has been restricted from international shipment. The item will not be shipped forward to its final destination. No further action is needed at this time. Under the terms of the Global Shipping Program your buyer will be refunded automatically, and you are entitled to keep the proceeds from the transaction.

This is basically what I shipped (along with a few misc. small parts):

Big Muddy
10-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Some dumbazz prolly thought they looked like some type of weapon....well, they could cut you finger off. ;)

Thumper
10-13-2015, 10:12 AM
There's only one thing I can think of as a remote answer. Although these things had been tucked away in a box in the garage for about 40 years, I wonder if some sort of "sniffer" may have picked up a residual odor of nitro methane from these things? I mean, that's the fuel they run on. There's NO WAY anything could be in liquid form or even enough to cause ANY sort of problem as it would be nothing but molecules ... but that's all I can come up with. The weird part is, there's no reason or explanation given at all as to WHY they were confiscated.

BarryBobPosthole
10-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Confiscated by American or aussie Customs? I'd write somebody and find out.

Looks like a nice little collection of 049s.

BKB

Thumper
10-13-2015, 10:38 AM
US Customs (the package never made it past Kentucky).

Yep, .049's and a little Cox Pee Wee .020 ... I had a shitload of these things as a kid!

BarryBobPosthole
10-13-2015, 10:47 AM
They probably thought it was drone parts!

BKB

Thumper
10-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Ha! Who knows? As long as I got paid and the buyer got his $$$ refunded, I guess I shouldn't worry about it. It's difficult not to be curious though.

Big Muddy
10-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Hahaha, you are officially on the black chopper list, now, and they gonna bug your house....you better stash that weed, too. ;););)

Thumper
10-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Maybe I should just try to smoke it all before they get here. ;)