PDA

View Full Version : For us old folks....

Captain
10-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Someone sure put in a lot of time to "explain" the song American Pie by Don McClean. I heard it a thousand times and thought I knew what it was about. It sure brings back a lot of good memories and helps the lyrics come alive. Very well done. I cannot embed from my phone so just follow the link.. Cheryl and I had the opportunity to meet and spend extended time with Waylon Jennings and Jessie Colter and he told us first hand the story of giving his seat on the plane to the Big Bopper. He said the last words he spoke to Buddy Holly involved Buddy telling him he hoped hoped his bus broke down and Waylon told Buddy "well I hope your damned old plane crashes" he said not one day has ever passed that he did not think of that. I think y'all will enjoy this. http://youtu.be/VhX3b1h7GQw

airbud7
10-15-2015, 10:28 AM
embed for you Cappy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhX3b1h7GQw&feature=youtu.be

BarryBobPosthole
10-15-2015, 10:46 AM
That is pretty cool. Some angles on the meaning of the lyrics I hadn't thought of. The Bob Dylan one being the one that makes sense but I didn't connect. I always thought the Stones were the Jester too.

BKB

Captain
10-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Thanks AirBud.
I thought it neat. I guess it's just in my age wheelhouse....

Us 50's babies remember all those folks and there rise to fame, and deaths. Just really cool someone took the time to put it all together.

jb
10-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Great song, sort of goes along with the fact that 50 years ago this month I met my wife at a Frat Party in College, music was great back then and the war had yet to be a game changer on college campus'.

HideHunter
10-16-2015, 09:10 PM
wow..

BarryBobPosthole
10-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Great song, sort of goes along with the fact that 50 years ago this month I met my wife at a Frat Party in College, music was great back then and the war had yet to be a game changer on college campus'.

The Civl War, right?

BKB

Captain
10-17-2015, 06:56 AM
I was surprised Thumper has not posted to this thread.... I figured he knew about half the folks in the video.... :D

Thumper
10-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Cool! It REALLY adds a lot of meaning to the song after being put onto video. I've always had a bad habit of simply listening to music more for the tune itself and very seldom analyzed the song's words. Kind of like TV commercials ... I can hate a commercial or really like it ... but half the time, if you ask me what the ad was for, I can't tell you. Kinda goofy, I know.

Oh, and BITE ME Cappy! The crappy part is, I can probably point to half the folks in that video, and you could pull out a pic of him standing in your living room!