PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from NOLA

Chicken Dinner
10-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Cool city, great people watching and awesome food. Man, I'd be as big as Thump if I lived here full time though.

BarryBobPosthole
10-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Amen on the people watching there!

BKB

Thumper
10-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Been to NOLA a bazillion times, most recently earlier this year, but I'll never forget my first trip there. Lynn and I were downtown one night and a black dude on the street walked by, looked down at my feet and said, "Hey! I bet you a buck I know where you got those shoes!"

I was wearing a normal pair of Reeboks and we were living in L.A. at the time (where I purchased them), nobody there knew us and I figured there was no way he'd know ... so I took him up on the bet.

He looked down, pointed at my shoes and said, "Well, ya' gots 'em right dere on yer feets!"

Lynn and I busted out laughing, I handed him a buck and we went on our way!

I've never forgotten that and I even cracked a big smile while writing this! The memory was worth the buck. ;)

Chicken Dinner
10-20-2015, 11:24 AM
I've lived near the Chesapeake Bay my whole life and I've sampled oysters from Puget Siund, Apalachicola,to the Bay of Fundy. The oysters I had last night at Commander's Palace are the oysters by which all others will be judged. Everything about them from the oysters themselves to the way they were prepared was amazing.

BarryBobPosthole
10-20-2015, 11:28 AM
The very first oysters I ever tasted were from Apalachiacola, from a big tow sack full we bought off the tailgate of a pickup in Panama City, Fl., iced down in a big cooler, and they are still to this day the very best ones I have ever eaten.
And that was just shucked, slid on a saltine, doused with hot sauce and gulped down. No prep necessary.
BKB

Bwana
10-20-2015, 12:39 PM
CD, you might want to check out Mother's and Johnny's (I never got here because they are only open until 4:30) for Po'boys, etc. and K. Paul's was some pretty decent eats too but a bit more upscale.

If you want to get some good entertainment, food, and drink go to Frenchmen's Street just off the SE side of the French Quarter. Was told that is where the locals go as the prices are cheaper.

Chicken Dinner
10-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Other than late Saturday and Sunday before my conference started, I'm tied up most of the day. My Mrs. Has been exploring during the day and she mentioned heading to Frenchmen St. for dinner tonight. We did the WWII museum Sunday afternoon and it was awesome.

jb
10-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Glad you're having fun, there are a few places I just don't care to visit, #1 is NY City, #2 NOLA, #3 LA.
Call me an old geezer, but there is nothing I like about crowds, waiting lines, or traffic.

BarryBobPosthole
10-20-2015, 04:21 PM
I was lucky enough to get stationed in Biloxi once for tech school for seven months and once for some advanced training for three months TDY. The second time I had three stripes on my shoulder and was a badass. The first time I was there I had no stripes and was basically the lowest form of animal life there.
Me and a couple of buddies explored that whole Mississippi and Alabama coast and just had the best time imageinable there. Every weekend was a road trip somewhere. So when Mardi Gras rolled around, we hit the party in Bilxoi and Ocean Springs and I think both were more fun than the one in New Orleans. When I went back a few years later, I went to Mardi Gras in NOLA and it was so crowded, my group finally ended up tying our belts together to not lose each other. Well, that and we were pretty well inebriated. Oh to be in my early 20s again!
Nowadays, I'm like Bubba. Prolly won't go back there unless its on the way to somewheres else. I sure had a great time when I was youngster prowling around south Mississippi though.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
10-20-2015, 04:23 PM
And that was almost but not quite a Thumper story. No tranny sex in it.

BKB

Captain
10-20-2015, 05:22 PM
I worked in New Orleans twice. Once for 3 months and once for about 9 months. When you walk down Bourbon St. and Conti St. If you look down and see man hole covers that have Southern Bell written in them.... Well I put those there. There is a large 12x12 foot room under your feet.

Chicken Dinner
10-20-2015, 05:35 PM
I love me some Redneck Riviera. That stretch from Pensacola to Mobile Bay is my kind of country. That being said a couple of days in NYC or NOLA are a good time as well. That being said, I've got no interest in Times Square on New Year's Eve or Bourbon Street on Fat Tuesday as it's amateur night...

Thumper
10-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Well, we've been here in Pensacola Beach for the past 4 days and the weather's been absolutely perfect. Headed back home to the old drag tomorrow. We started to run over to Mobile this morning, but got side-tracked and never made it out of Pensacola. We just got back to the beach about 10 mins. ago and are doing some major unwinding in the room right now. First things first, open one of my favorite beers which has been on ice all weekend ... and check in to this site.