PDA

View Full Version : Cappy (or anyone), you still have that 22-250?

Nandy
10-21-2015, 04:20 PM
What are you shooting out of it for deer? Reloads?

Im preparing a batch with the old brass, planning to use the Nosler Bonded Performance 64 Grain Spitzer Solid Base that I used before and could get .5 groups with the occasional flyer AND Blown primers every now and then... I was using 37.6 grains of rl17 which now I will be using Varget since it is more stable. The barrel is a 1:12 twist. I know that twist rate is not the optimal choice for the bullet weight. I would had been fine with the .5 groups IF I did not have the flyers and the occasional blown primer. I thought the blown primer could be the Remington brass that is why I was looking and still looking for more. Im using the Winchester WLR Primers #8-1/2 primers for this load. There will be a 1:9 or 1:10 (second choice) twist barrel on the future but that will be past deer season. I love to keep that 1:12 but it is not threaded (still getting the cans with the tax return :rolleyes:) and to be honest, my dream of prairie dog hunting seems further and further away... :(

The No$ler is a great bullet in paper but is almost as high as the .284 Berger$ VLD hunting I shoot out of my magnum action. I wouldn't mind going with a bullet that is not as pricey but if that is what works then that is what I am getting. That bullet had no problem killing that deer dead on its track. I meant light out, dropped on its own legs with a bullet to the neck base. However, im trying to keep my options open....

Let me know, thanks!!!

Captain
10-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Sorry Nandy, but I has a 221250 about 20 years ago and a friend wanted it a LOT more than I wanted to keep it.
I cannot remember the load I worked up for it but I do remember I was shooting Nosler Bullets.

Nandy
10-21-2015, 07:34 PM
No problem cappy!
Anyone else that might have such rifle and want to talk loads that will be great.

BarryBobPosthole
10-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Isn't there a commercially available 64 gr bullet you can use for deer?

Bout the most I know about a 22-250 for deer is its probably the caliber of choice for the poachers around here. pretend like you're coyote hunting and shoot 'em in the neck.

BKB

Captain
10-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Factory loaded ammo.... Pure Blasphemy!!!

BarryBobPosthole
10-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Schnob.

BKB

Nandy
10-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Barry, I like the challenge of reloading. I just love to see those ragged holes in paper, it gives me so much confidence when I am shooting something alive.