PDA

View Full Version : Why is that smell so frigging intoxicating?

Thumper
10-22-2015, 05:29 PM
That "new car smell" that is. I stopped by the local 'Yota dealer today ... no reason, I just needed a fix, so I prowled around the lot for a few minutes. Then, all of a sudden, there she was ... I was hopelessly in love with the truck of my dreams.

Ok, I got with my salesman and went for a short ride ... I was hooked ... HAD to have it! BUT ... I told my guy this one was going to be on MY terms, no if's, and's or but's. We started the dance and the a-hole used car manager immediately pissed me off with his appraisal by coming in $7000 - $8000 frigging dollars low on my trade! I told him what I thought of him, told my salesman to tell the guy to fuck himself and I'd tell THEM what they're going to give ME ... not the other way around ... then said I'd walk if they couldn't meet it.

Ok, we haggled a bit and when the dust settled, we were $2000 apart. (actually, they were only $1000 off as I pigeon-holed a $1000 cushion, but I kept that fact in my pocket). I stood up, told 'em I was walking and whispered to my salesman he had an extra grand to play with and to see what he could do. The fact the Sales Manager actually let me leave the property tells me I had them at their rock-bottom and their hands were tied. If the grand will do it, I'll throw it in the pot ... if not, I'll continue driving my "beater". If they let me walk for $1000, I know for sure there's no cushion for them to play with, but for right now, it's a Mexican stand-off. :swordfight

airbud7
10-22-2015, 05:45 PM

nuff said!

Thumper
10-22-2015, 06:01 PM
I worked for those arrogant mf'ers (GM) for 20 years ... you couldn't force me to own one. Been there, done that. The shitty thing is, GM is the best "we" have to offer IMHO ... and that's pitiful. http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/autumn59/thumbsdown.gif

Arty
10-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Didn't you post like the exact same thing a few weeks ago?
Or maybe that was for Lynn?

johnboy
10-22-2015, 07:21 PM
The current GM products do suck big weenies, I agree. So far my Ford has been 100%. Could not ask for a better truck. Oh yeah, doesn't Toyota have another big recall out for power window switches that catch fire? I tried the Toyota "quality" and it's WAY over rated from what I saw but you go with whatever makes your dick hard.

BarryBobPosthole
10-22-2015, 08:44 PM
I've had my Tundra for a year and a half now, made two trips to Canada (not you are), and had it in the back country four wheeling to Keith and My fishing spots pretty regular. Its still tight as Dick's hatband and its still the best pickup I've ever owned. Whether it stands up to my past experience with chevys remains to be seen. But the difference in the quality of workmanship is pretty evident so far.

What truck you lookin at Thumper?

BKB

airbud7
10-22-2015, 08:54 PM
My neighbor has a Tundra (about 3 years old) and I will admit it sounds good when he fires it up...aftermarket exhaust though.

BarryBobPosthole
10-22-2015, 09:51 PM
I've considered that a few times. But then I think of how many crankbaits i coould buy for that.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
10-22-2015, 09:56 PM
What were you looking at?

BarryBobPosthole
10-22-2015, 10:04 PM
I priced some headers and Corvair Turbocharged mufflers for my new truck when i bought it. Around $2000.

Bkb

Chicken Dinner
10-22-2015, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I'm s little too "frugal" for that.

BarryBobPosthole
10-22-2015, 10:18 PM
That was the dealership price was in their little "custom shop". I likely could have found a way to get it done cheaper but after I saw the ball park price I figured I'd just make exhaust noises with my mouth.

BKB

Arty
10-22-2015, 10:29 PM
That was the dealership price was in their little "custom shop". I likely could have found a way to get it done cheaper but after I saw the ball park price I figured I'd just make exhaust noises with my mouth. BKB

Is that done similar to "motor boatin'"

Thumper
10-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Yeah Arty, that was Lynn's Avalon. Traded a 2013 for a 2015 a couple months ago.

CD, I'm a Tacoma guy all the way as I have no need for a "big" truck. Heck, I always get the towing package and the "little" truck has a 6800 lb. towing capacity ... plenty for my needs. I drove the new one today ... they went to a smaller engine this year (from a 4.0 liter to a 3.5 ... BUT, the horsepower is up by 42 HP to 278). To be honest, I couldn't really tell the difference between the new engine and mine ... possibly because the torque didn't really change any. A plus though is the mileage went up by 2 mpg with the "smaller" engine.

The main thing I'm after is the technology upgrades. It has all the bells & whistles (back-up cam, side warning, honkin' JBL sound system, GPS, etc etc) plus the truck is all new this year, inside and out. Heck, they even have a built-in w/s mount for a Go-Pro so you can pretend to be in Russia! But the main thing is that damned new car smell! To me, it's like showing crack to a crackhead. ;)

Seems like the only pics they want to post on the net are 4-doors ... which I have no need for. Here's a dealer pic of what I'm shooting for. (yeah I know, the pink license frame is just my style!) ;)

http://autonationoverlays.blob.core.windows.net/nophoneoverlay/2498_5TFRZ5CN6GX002385-0.jpg

Captain
10-23-2015, 04:11 AM
That looks just like the one you got now. Get a 4 door, you will NEVER regret it!

Arty
10-23-2015, 07:14 AM
That looks just like the one you got now. Get a 4 door, you will NEVER regret it!
Thump with all the shit you haul back and forth from the treasure troves you call estate sales, a 4 door might be exactly what you need! You'd be amazed at what you can throw in the back with the seats folded up

Thumper
10-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Standing in line waiting for a sale to start as we speak. I have no need whatsoever for a 4-door and have plenty of storage behind the seats. No kids and if we have passengers to move, we take Lynn's car. Plus, I lose bed space (short bed vs. long). Besides, in the small truck, about all you could sit "comfortably" is a couple of kids IMHO. I'm 6'2" and drive with my seat almost all the way back, so whomever sits behind me would probably have to saw their legs off. ;)

If I go crazy at a sale, I have a 7' bed and a 10' trailer. When it comes to trucks, I just buy what I need. Otherwise, I'd have a Peterbilt. :)

Big Skyz
10-23-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm in love. Sorry Thump, not with you, but that truck definitely does it for me. On a side note I received in the mail yesterday a notice of a Class Action law suit being taken against Ford for their spark plugs. They want me to sign some kind of documentation and send in receipts for all the work done to replace the plugs. I need to read it a little more carefully before committing, but I'm glad to see someone is going after them for that HUGE design flaw. Speaking of Ford's guess who's window on the drivers side decided to be at half mast last Saturday. Got the new regulator ordered and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I can't tell you how classy I feel driving around with my window secured with packing tape while I wait for the new regulator. It shouldn't be much trouble to put in. I mean after all, it's the third one I've put in that door since I bought it 3 years ago...

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Standing in line waiting for a sale to start as we speak. I have no need whatsoever for a 4-door and have plenty of storage behind the seats. No kids and if we have passengers to move, we take Lynn's car. Plus, I lose bed space (short bed vs. long). Besides, in the small truck, about all you could sit "comfortably" is a couple of kids IMHO. I'm 6'2" and drive with my seat almost all the way back, so whomever sits behind me would probably have to saw their legs off. ;)

If I go crazy at a sale, I have a 7' bed and a 10' trailer. When it comes to trucks, I just buy what I need. Otherwise, I'd have a Peterbilt. :)

I understand perfectly. You don't 'need' a club cab, but you 'need' a new truck.

Perfectly logical Mr Spock.

BKB

LJ3
10-23-2015, 09:58 AM
I've considered that a few times. But then I think of how many crankbaits i coould buy for that.

BKB

If you do, get the Borla exhaust. Trust me. I already did all your research for you and they're competitively priced. Lifetime rust guarantee 304 steel, mandrel bent.

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2015, 11:42 AM
But Walleye Bandits are running about ten bucks apiece!

BKB

Thumper
10-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Well, looks like the deal is done. My salesman called today and told me to come in and sign the paperwork. I guess that "secret" $1000 I had in my pocket pushed 'em into the profit margin. BTW Cappy, I sold you a gun (Colt) last night and your payment is going into my PayPal account this afternoon. You're picking it up when you come down here for Thanksgiving. Well ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it. (that's where I told 'em the extra $1000 came from) ;)

When I walked yesterday, I told 'em they'd squeezed every last penny from me and I'm dead broke ... so as far as my offer was concerned, they'd have to take it or leave it. :D

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Congrats on the new wheels!

BKB

Thumper
10-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks P-hole ... a new car to me is a major "feel good" thing.

That's good news Troy! Problem is, IF you get reimbursed, you may need to find a mechanic friend to write a bogus invoice to recoup some of your labor. I wonder what took so long to get that suit going? Heck, some people even had to spring for new heads!

Big Skyz
10-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Thump the guy that helped me change out the plugs is a mechanic. ;)

airbud7
10-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Congrats on the new wheels!

BKB

New wheels? you mean Thump gets new wheels in in the deal too? or just new tires? :D

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Okay okay okay. A new RIDE then.

but you'll soon see what Thumper does with THAT one.

BKB

Thumper
10-23-2015, 02:06 PM
That's good news B/S. There's no way you should have to foot the bill on that one as it's a blatant design flaw. Heck, spark plugs have been around for over 175 years with no major problems! What were they thinking?

Did someone say RIDE??? ;)

Ok, ok, I'm never one to disappoint .... "Ride THIS!" ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Speaking of spark plugs. They're one of those things that have improved, like tires for example, to the point where we take them for granted. I changed my plugs on my old Chevy once in 14 years. With today's ignitions its the wires that wear out before the plugs do. A big part of that I guess is fuel injection too.

BKB

Thumper
10-23-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm sure there have been improvements, but the major factor is unleaded fuel Posty ... the old one's would get lead fouled for the most part. Add unleaded fuel to higher operating temps as well as high energy ignition systems and plugs last almost forever. I changed a set in my old Datsun B210 at 100,000 miles once and the electrodes were nothing but tiny little nubs ... completely worn off, yet the high energy ignition kept 'em firing across that big ol' gap. That engine never missed a beat ... I just figured it was probably time to change 'em! :D

BarryBobPosthole
10-23-2015, 03:28 PM
No more points plugs and condenser tuneups!

BKB

johnboy
10-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Congrats Jim. Nothing like a new vehicle to spice up your day.

Captain
10-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Congrats Jimbo! You should have bought a BLUE one...
Glad I could "hep'" out with the "purchase"
I'm sure I'll never wear the barrel out on that colt from shooting it... ;)

Thumper
10-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Congrats Jimbo! You should have bought a BLUE one...
Glad I could "hep'" out with the "purchase"
I'm sure I'll never wear the barrel out on that colt from shooting it... ;)

:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin