PDA

View Full Version : Hunter's Moon

BarryBobPosthole
10-26-2015, 08:55 PM
If you can see it, tonight is the Hunter's Moon which is, I think, the closest full moon to the Fall Equinox. And its a supermoon. So its big and bright if you don't have clouds. You could read a newspaper by it here.

BKB

Arty
10-26-2015, 08:59 PM
No need for a spotlight tonight.

Is that what you're saying?

BarryBobPosthole
10-26-2015, 09:02 PM
There's prolly been some hunting done under a full moon. At least I'd imagine there has been.

BKB

Captain
10-26-2015, 09:28 PM
We use to HATE working under that moon on patrol. LOTS of calls for service and lots of involuntary mental commitments.
Which by the tune of today's posting I would say today is pretty "normal" for the hunters moon. :D

BarryBobPosthole
10-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Seems like it don't it.

BKb

Nandy
10-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Im scaredddddd....

Captain
10-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Im scaredddddd....
I thought you had some investigating to do tonight.

LJ3
10-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Nandys making soup with leftover flip phones. I don't think I've ever been so confused.

Nandy
10-26-2015, 10:10 PM
I thought you had some investigating to do tonight.

Yup, im so scared I will hold real tight!!!

Nandy
10-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Nandys making soup with leftover flip phones. I don't think I've ever been so confused.

What are flip phones?
:moon

DeputyDog
10-27-2015, 06:50 AM
What are flip phones?
:moon

Things that my boss thinks are still appropriate for him to provide us as work phones.

Thumper
10-27-2015, 08:05 AM
If you can see it, tonight is the Hunter's Moon which is, I think, the closest full moon to the Fall Equinox. And its a supermoon. So its big and bright if you don't have clouds. You could read a newspaper by it here. BKB

Well heck, being the supreme noticer and lover of space related stuff that you are, I'm surprised you didn't mention this (it's going on all week).

http://earthsky.org/tonight/planetary-trio-lights-up-morning-sky-in-late-october-2015

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2015, 08:59 AM
You know what, I did see two of those side by side last nght but the moon had me so distracted I didn't even look to see what they were. Now I know, thanks.

I got this really cool app on my ipad called Starwalk a few years ago and its awesome for identifying stuff in the sky at night. Even shows satelites that go over too. Check it out. Works on iphone too I think.

One of the ones we always spot when we're in the Caribbean is Scorpius. I can't find it at home to save my life but when we're out there it shines like a new dime in a goats ass.

BKB

Thumper
10-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Sounds like a cool app. I kind of miss the enthusiasm many people had (regarding space) that I grew up with. I remember as a kid, the schools would always have fire-drills whenever a rocket was launched. We'd all head out to the ball field and watch the launch, then go back into the classrooms. It kinda killed two birds with one stone, we'd get to witness the launch and practice fire-drills at the same time. I think I saw all the Gemini launches and most of the early Apollo launches. Nowadays, most people don't have a clue when the launches occur. (I still watch them from my backyard)

After I got out of the military, I was working during the day, but many launches occur at night. There was (might still be?) an 800 number you could call and they'd tell you what day/time the next launch would be (and usually what type of launch .. military satellite, weather, scientific, whatever). I'd come home from work, the wife would have a picnic basket and cooler packed, we'd head for the beach with our lawn chairs and watch the launch while lying on the beach eating supper. We seldom missed a launch. If you've never seen a night launch, you're really missing something. Heck, it's fun just to FEEL the rumbling in your body when one of those bad boys lifts off.

Chicken Dinner
10-27-2015, 09:51 AM
I was taking my younger boy to Scouts last night just as the moon was rising. It sure was a sight to behold.

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2015, 09:53 AM
I never saw one the whole time I was stationed in Tampa.

I interviewed for a job when I got out with Ford, of all companies, to work on telecom on the Air Force Eastern Test Range. Ford was handling a lot of the telemetry and test data for the military then. Again, seemed a strange marriage to me but it was what it was. I didn't take the job because most of my time would have been spent on a ship downrange off the coast of Africa. At the time, I was still trying to salvage my first marriage. So I opted to move to Texas instead! What a life choice!

BKB

Thumper
10-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Well now, I'd say you need to put that on your bucket list! Problem is, it's really hard to plan if you don't live here. There can be weather delays, technical delays, etc, so your time has to be flexible.

The really ironic thing is, during the early shuttle program, they'd always land at Edwards AFB in California and the flight path for the landings went right over my house. When I moved back to Florida, they started landing at the Cape instead ... again, the flight path went right over my house. Talk about a MONSTER (double) sonic boom!

BarryBobPosthole
10-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Thumper, I just noticed something in that article you posted the link to. it says the planets can be seen before dawn early in the AM. The TWO I saw was about 8:00 last night.

Strange. I'll look at 'em with Starwalk tonight if it doesn't rain. Cloudy right now.

bKB

DeputyDog
10-27-2015, 10:25 AM
I remember we would watch the TV coverage of the early shuttle launches i school. I can remember them wheeling in TV's into the classroom for the first Shuttle launch and landing. Then again when Challenger blew up.

I've seen those the last couple of mornings when I go to work at 6 AM. Figured they were planets, but didn't know which ones.

Captain
10-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Shuttle!!! I remember when they sent the monkey up! :D

Thumper
10-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Heck, I remember Sputnik 1 .... :(

Deppity, I missed the Challenger launch because I lived in California at the time, but I was out on my pool deck waiting for Columbia to fly over on it's way to the Cape. I eventually came back in the house wondering WTF happened. Sad day ... :(