PDA

View Full Version : I need an employee for a coupl'a weeks.

Thumper
10-29-2015, 10:19 AM
We're gonna be in Los Angeles for a couple weeks next month for Lynn's mom's 80th birthday. Problem is, I'll have to shut eBay down while I'm gone, and next month is when a lot of Christmas sales kick in, so it's going to be a bit of a set-back. Bummer. :(

I set a goal for myself at the beginning of this year to break $45,000 by December 31st. I still might be able to do it, but it kills me to miss all that prime selling time. So, I gots roughly 6 weeks to turn another $1847.79. (shouldn't be a problem)

Here's the latest sales report from eBay. Who says ya' can't make a little extra pocket change with this stuff? (beats "working"!) :D

Total sales amount: $43,152.21
Total transactions: 1529

BarryBobPosthole
10-29-2015, 10:26 AM
You da man Thumper! Congrats! And having fun at it too!

By the way, what did I do with Lois Lerner's phone number......

BKB

Thumper
10-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Ha ha ha! Bite me! I guess I should clarify. Upon re-reading the above, it's a bit misleading. That figure is the 30-month total. I started out slow as there was a learning curve, but I still make sure I stay under that $20,000/year mark where the IRS gets involved.

Yeah, if I could make 45K/year by playing a couple days/week, I'd be REAL happy. It's just a fun "hobby" and I hope it remains to be fun. Sorry for the misleading figure. I ain't gettin' rich with it ... but at least I can afford to leave the house for a weekend now and then. Social Security pays the bills ... but there ain't nuttin' left over. :(

Big Skyz
10-29-2015, 11:28 AM
While that sales number looks nice, it's all relative to how much your costs and shipping were. Once that is subtracted I'd be interested to know how much you actually clear after expenses? I mean if I sold a new Mercedes for $43,152.21 we would have the same total, but I would likely be operating at a loss. ;)

Thumper
10-29-2015, 12:02 PM
So true b/s ... I try not to get too serious with it. I kept the books the whole time I owned my business and accounted for every penny. I could do the same now, but that would take the fun out of it. I try to keep my CODB at around 15%. (I buy dirt cheap) I don't run it as tight as a real business and figure rent, electricity, etc (heck, I'm home anyway) ... but then again, I don't figure in things such as depreciation ... so those type expenses are basically a wash. My buddy goes with me to every sale and we split the gas 50/50 which also helps.

The way I see it, that 15% is worth the entertainment value. Every sale is an exciting adventure. Why figure in transportation, clothing, gear, guns/ammo, etc. etc. etc. into the cost of your venison? That spoils the fun. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
10-29-2015, 12:25 PM
I imagine it keeps him in fresh cats for his celestial foodie tastes, Big Sky.

BKB

Big Skyz
10-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Thump I get it and agree.
BBP, you are pretty funny sometimes, that was one of them.