PDA

View Full Version : Win 10 and Firefox

johnboy
11-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Anybody running Win 10 and Firefox? Got a new desktop running Win 10 a while back and have been having an ongoing problem with Firefox. On some sites (not all) I get an error message that a script has stopped running and the machine hangs. I've tried using Edge and I hate to say it but it doesn't have the problem. Too bad because I do NOT like Edge. Any thought from you computer whizzes?

airbud7
11-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Chrome

Buckrub
11-01-2015, 03:45 PM
You missed my diatribe weeks ago. I got a free upgrade to Windows 10 (I run Win 7) and took it. What a mess. Firefox wouldn't work, Webroot blocked every single thing I tried to do, NO downloads of any kind were allowed, all the games like Freecell disappeared, and random stuff just didn't work.

I was crying........then I stumbled around and found a button that said "You have X days left to return to Windows 7" and boy, I took it. I'm back on 7 and happy.

If I were you, I'd first try Chrome.

IE x sucks huge roots and is the portal for most hackers and viruses. I dunno if Edge is any good, but I'm not surprised you saying it isn't. Firefox is best, but a lot of stuff won't work with it. See if Chrome helps. I run both, but Chrome is not as good as Firefox........but it does get by some issues.

Captain
11-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Apple. :D

Buckrub
11-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Orange.

BarryBobPosthole
11-01-2015, 04:05 PM
I used to run it on my work computer and ran into the same thing but I can't remember what I did to fix it. I was thnkng it may have been somethng to do with Java being disabled but to be honest, I just as likely could have dreamed that.

Here's a link that may help.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/warning-unresponsive-script

BKB

johnboy
11-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Barry, that link explains exactly what is happening. I'm gonna try some of the fixes and if they don't work I'll maybe give Chrome a try. Too bad because I really prefer Firefox. Captain, no apple for me. :D

johnboy
11-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Just downloaded Chrome for a try. Man, that is going to take a little getting used to. Seems to work fine however.

Buckrub
11-01-2015, 05:18 PM
It is different. Not as robust or as good. But it does transfer your bookmarks, so you can function.

johnboy
11-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Been running Chrome since yesterday and it works fine. Not crazy about the way it handles bookmarks but I'm still getting used to it. I'll give Firefox a chance to come up with some fixes to resolve their issues then try it again in a while. Till then, Chrome it is. Tx for the info.

Thumper
11-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Well, I bought a new desktop a few months ago and they were going to set it up with Win 10, but I remembered Bucky's post and told them to hold off until the bugs get worked out, then I'll do it myself. I've been running Chrome for years, so it's good to hear it works ok as I don't feel like getting used to too many new procedures at once. I guess I should really start thinking about switching over. Once I get the desktop switched to Win 10, I'm going to do the same on my laptop.

johnboy
11-02-2015, 02:54 PM
I have no issues with Win 10. It seems to work fine (fast!) it's just some of the other apps that are not happy working with Win 10. I think all these compatibility issues will be resolved over time as more systems run 10.

Thumper
11-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the way I figured it. I decided to give it a few months for the dust to settle and a few of the bugs to get worked out. I plan to switch over by the end of the year.

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2015, 03:18 PM
.....or you could buy an Apple product now and it wouldn't have bugs.

BKB

Thumper
11-02-2015, 04:03 PM
I have an Apple phone for back-up. ;)

Seriously, when I bought my new desktop, I went in to buy an Apple. DAYUM (as Eddie would say) ... they're mighty dang proud of those things! It took about a nano-second to change my mind right quick like. I guess they're made for rich shits like the good Captain. :D

airbud7
11-02-2015, 04:24 PM
I guess they're made for rich shits like the good Captain. :D

Yep^ The few, The Proud, The Rich Shits/Lol

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2015, 04:25 PM
We were buying a new home computer every two years until I bought my wife an iMAC in 2012. The main reason we had to replace so many was that with the whole family using them we'd get loaded down with malware and viruses and finally it'd just become almost impossible to use. then we'd buy a new one and we'd be shittin' in tall cotton for a year or so and then the cycle would repeat. And we also paid for a security app every year that actually probably bogged the system down as much as the bad actors out there that it waqs supposedly protecting us from. And it was up to us to keep it upgraded by the way. The MAC I bought my wife is still as fast as it was the day I brought it home. I have done some cleanup of data but that's mainly organizational stuff and I have deleted several apps that I thought were uneccessary from time to time. And I keep my kids chased off of it when they come oiver now as much as I can. they are barbarians. I don't have any idea how the hell they can even use a basic phone. They don't use technology, they eat it and crap it out. Its sad.

But that MAC has held up. I have two iPads. My four year old one now sits in my entertainment center and is my music server for the whole house. Its still as good as it was when I got it for Christmas in 2011. My new one is what I'm typing on now.

Not sure if just one family's experience is a testimonial or not, but we've sure as hell SAVED money since we started buying Apple products.

ps....I also have an Iphone 5 and my wife has a Samsung. She hates her phone. My phone is well.......its a goddamned phone. So don't call me on it.

BKB

Thumper
11-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Curmudgeon! ;)

As for the kids eating and crapping technology ... check out this exciting baseball game. ;)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ngt1JK3DyOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LJ3
11-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Sigh...

Thanks for 30+ years of employment.

Thumper
11-02-2015, 04:50 PM
As for the Apple, I'm aware of the advantages ... that's why I originally went in to buy one. BUT, once I started looking around, I about died from sticker shock! I really have no problem with p/c's as there are no kids involved and I'm the only one using mine. Lynn is on a computer all day at work and wants nothing to do with them at home. If she needs to do anything, she uses her iPhone.

Normally, I keep a computer so long, the O/S finally gets outdated and it's just not worth upgrading. Kinda like trading cars, I could prolly go another 100,000 miles, but new stuff is fun sometimes. I use my (Windows) laptop daily. It's all I've used for 5-6 years now. It still works like a champ and I'll be upgrading it to Win10 ... but will probably start using it more for traveling, etc. and use the desktop at home since it has a monitor about the size of an old drive-in movie ... plus I have a bitchin' sound system hooked up to it.

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2015, 04:59 PM
That's what happened on my old iPad II. Apple stopped issuing OS upgrades and there arent many apps you can buy let alone upgrade existing ones. So I semi-retired it to music server. I have like 3000 songs on it.

Anybody want to buy a really good music CD collection?

BKB

Captain
11-02-2015, 05:05 PM
iMac
The one thing rich democrats (Posthole) and poor republicans (Captain) can agree on. :-)
We have pocketed more money than the cost of the iMac twice over since switching.
And one thing for damn sure is you NEVER, EVER, hear Posty or me on here needing to know how to "fix" somethings or remove some virus or spyware.
Nandy in 3, 2, 1....

Thumper
11-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Knock on wood ... I've haven't had a virus in prolly 10-12 years. I guess the anti-virus stuff has improved a lot lately ... or I've just been lucky.

Arty
11-02-2015, 06:09 PM
I can't talk my wife into a MacBook.
Her response is always "what do we do when we need to use excel or word?"

There's an answer for that I know, I just haven't looked into it yet.

Captain
11-02-2015, 06:12 PM
I can't talk my wife into a MacBook. Her response is always "what do we do when we need to use excel or word?" There's an answer for that I know, I just haven't looked into it yet. Office for Mac. I've got it on mine.

airbud7
11-02-2015, 06:41 PM
iMac's are well built...i7 processors amd/nvidia high definition graphics cards...It's iOS that is not compatible with so much software...and the cost vs building your own is a no brainer for me. I build around 6-8 gaming PC's a year @$1000-$1800 each and iOS will not work.

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Office for Mac. I've got it on mine.

Anybody know where I can get that for free?

BKB

Nandy
11-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Office for Mac. I've got it on mine.

You tell me you buy a Mac to put MS software in it!!! Yup, that makes sense..........

NOT!

Thumper
11-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Anybody know where I can get that for free?

BKB

I think it's tied in with the Obama Phone program ... just ask 'em.

(SD'er!) ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2015, 07:00 PM
I use an app called CoolWriter for my documents and Numbers for spreadsheets. Both make easy imports and exports to Word and Excel so you can easily share files with others who use those MS apps.

BKB

LJ3
11-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Excepting Airbuds gaming machines, my ASUS Intel windows laptop will smoke any iCrap and I don't get malware cause I don't.

http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ASUS_ROG_G750JS/

Thumper
11-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Lenster, a few months back you recommended the ASUS (or was it Bucky?). Anyway, I actually went in to buy a Mac ... until I priced them. Then I started shopping/comparing and talked to a couple computer nerds, then bought an ASUS.

Captain
11-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Anybody know where I can get that for free? BKB

How To Get 2016 Microsoft Office 100% Free For Mac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlXZaGSzVaQ&sns=em

You are welcome. :D

Thumper
11-02-2015, 07:28 PM
How To Get 2016 Microsoft Office 100% Free For Mac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlXZaGSzVaQ&sns=em

You are welcome. :D

Wow! You're leaning a little farther to the left every day now! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2015, 07:29 PM
You could win the Democratic nomination for president.

BKB

Thumper
11-02-2015, 07:30 PM
I'll be in California for the next couple weeks and there's one thing I noticed out there ... EVERYBODY has a Mac! That's enough of a reason right there NOT to own one! ;)

Captain
11-02-2015, 07:32 PM
I'll be in California for the next couple weeks and there's one thing I noticed out there ... EVERYBODY has a Mac! That's enough of a reason right there NOT to own one! ;)

That weak tea right there Thumper.... You got to do better than that b
No SD badge on that crap...

Chicken Dinner
11-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Last year, my County started giving every 6th grader an iPad and every 9th grader a MacBook Air. As a taxpayer, I'm appalled. As the father of a 6th grader and a 9th grader, not so much.

LJ3
11-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Apple products are perfect for low-tech/no-tech users. There's a reason they have the market share they do. I have an iPhone and you should hear the crap some of the tech savvie android people who occasion this board say to me about it. It's hurtful :)

Captain
11-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Apple products are perfect for low-tech/no-tech users. There's a reason they have the market share they do. I have an iPhone and you should hear the crap some of the tech savvie android people who occasion this board say to me about it. It's hurtful :)
See Thumper, that's the way to do it.
Len is a professional.
He slammed both side at once.
Like there is a real "tech savvie android" user. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Last year, my County started giving every 6th grader an iPad and every 9th grader a MacBook Air. As a taxpayer, I'm appalled. As the father of a 6th grader and a 9th grader, not so much.

I'm curious, but do they get some of their textbooks via their computers? I could definitely see how a school system could almost break even on textbooks alone, especially given how they have to change a lot more often than they used to.

BKB

Thumper
11-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Does it count if we're a TWO iPhone family? And these are upgrades from our last TWO iPhones? ;)

Thumper
11-02-2015, 08:03 PM

Kinda a different world from when I went to school. So, what do the guys ask the girls these days? "Can I carry your iPad home for you?"

Big deal. That's not much effort!

airbud7
11-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Excepting Airbuds gaming machines, my ASUS Intel windows laptop will smoke any iCrap and I don't get malware cause I don't.

http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ASUS_ROG_G750JS/

Yes it^ will...Asus ROG G751 and the Dell Alienware 17 are Bad Ass!,,,The GT72 Dominator is no slouch ether...

Arty
11-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Yes it^ will...Asus ROG G751 and the Dell Alienware 17 are Bad Ass!,,,The GT72 Dominator is no slouch ether...

That might as well be written in Farsi.

I don't get any of that.

Nandy
11-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Yup, we got my daughter some alienware laptop for gaming and school. I get there been more gaming done there than school work....

Chicken Dinner
11-02-2015, 10:16 PM
I'm curious, but do they get some of their textbooks via their computers? I could definitely see how a school system could almost break even on textbooks alone, especially given how they have to change a lot more often than they used to. BKB

Yes, they do. In fact some of their classes don't even have a text book. It's all online content. I think the biggest challenge has been getting all the teachers up to speed.

Chicken Dinner
11-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Kinda a different world from when I went to school. So, what do the guys ask the girls these days? "Can I carry your iPad home for you?" Big deal. That's not much effort!

I think it's more like sext me a picture of yourself...

LJ3
11-02-2015, 10:35 PM

I can have photoshop and another similar application I use open at the same time and drag/drop 150MB files between them and never miss a beat. Most machines die when you do that :)