PDA

View Full Version : Definition of depressing...

HideHunter
11-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Spend 6 months anticipating a fishing trip for catfish up to 80 pounds. Pack for said trip three days.. Five hours before departure time.. Un pack..

Eye ball goes whack so I call the eye doctor and managed an appointment this morning. Detached retina.. consultation Thursday - surgery Tuesday. Except for a sliver at the bottom I am blind in my right eye. Crap..

Don't know how much can be restored.. Dr. thought probably "some"..

I usually stay away from "personal" stuff - but- I can't help but be a little depressed. Waiting for Happy Hour - so I went out and shot about 50 rounds through the BB gun - left handed.. try that after 60 years of the "right" way.. :fine

Maybe I'll braid some beads in my hair and get a patch.. :black_eyed:

Chicken Dinner
11-03-2015, 05:43 PM
I think a patch would suit you.

Big Muddy
11-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Day'um, Hide, I hate that about your sight, as much as I do for your catfishing trip....they can do medical miracles, nowadays, so maybe it will turn out positive....I'm sending up a prayer for you, right now, my friend!!!!!

Nandy
11-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Keeping you in my prayers.... I have faith in modern medicine...

Thumper
11-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Oh man! Wishing you the best. The catfish can wait ... your eyesight cannot.

BarryBobPosthole
11-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Dang, I hate to hear that. Hope they can get you fixed up. We'll be waiting to hear how it goes next Tuesday.

Aren't injuries of that kind usually associated with a blow to the head? You bang your melon or were you four wheeling in that combine?

BKB

jb
11-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Wife's going through similar, ain't nice, good luck and wishing you the best.

Buckrub
11-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Wishing you the best.

Get a patch. And a sword. And a bandana. And a parrot.

Seriously, hope it works out.....nothing more important in this life than our eyes.

LJ3
11-03-2015, 08:04 PM
I have a buddy that has one leg. He wins every damn Halloween contest he enters as a pirate... Playing the handicap card. I tell him he's going to hell for exploiting his leg. He laughed and counted his $800 he made getting drunk and going to big halloween parties. Don't be a one legged man preying on the emotions of others.

I hope your surgery goes well and your fishing and shooting in no time!

HideHunter
11-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys.. I'm praying for the best and preparing for the worst...

You're right, Barry.. It is usually associated with some kind of major stress. But - there's another thing that happens associated with getting old.. called a "vitreous detachment". Happens fairly often to people over 50. You see flashes of light and "floaters". Had this in my left eye couple years ago. Normally this "stuff" just pulls away from the retina and dissolves? (goes away, anyhow) on its own in a few weeks. But it *can* weaken the retina and something - or nothing - can cause the retina to tear. Even heavy lifting can do it.. and I do pee several times.. an hour. ;)

We'll see what happens..

. Don't be a one legged man preying on the emotions of others.

!

LJ - I like that quote a lot. Thank you.. I may be the world's worst shot for a couple years.. but I'm not cashing in. ;)

Cards01
11-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Hoping for the best outcome. Prayers and good vibes headed that way

Big Muddy
11-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Ummm, a question for ya Hide....ummm, what, exactly, were the coordinates of that place with the 80 pound cats??? ;)

Captain
11-04-2015, 09:31 AM
About three weeks ago Mrs Captain came home from a hard day's shopping and said she thought someone behind her was flashing their lights at her all the way home. But it was what you are describing.
My eye doctor is a good friend and I called his cell. He met me at his office (Sunday night) and described just what you described above.
However her retina had not detached. That has been 3 weeks now and she says she still sees Floaters but the flashing lights are gone.
So sorry this happened to you. Hope they do miracles and get you shooting "righty" again soon.

DeputyDog
11-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Hope it all works out for you. I have a friend whose dad had the same thing and had the surgery and got it corrected.

Thumper
11-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Dang! This problem must be more common that I ever imagined. Heck, all the wimmins I've ever been with said they'd see fireworks whenever we "did it". ;)

Big Muddy
11-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Prolly meant those little Smoke Bombs. ;)

Bwana
11-04-2015, 10:09 AM
So sorry to hear you are having to deal with this sir. Praying for a positive outcome at the doctor's office.

LJ3
11-04-2015, 10:50 AM
There's what's called an ocular (and a bunch of other terms) migraine that also produce the exact same symptoms being discussed here. I've had a couple that scared the crap out of me but they went away and haven't resurfaced since then.

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2015, 10:58 AM
I don't know if its related but Birddog's wife had eye surgery for a hole in her retina. They drained all the goody out of her eyeball and filled it with some kind of stuff that allowed it to heal shit on its own. The recovery took a couple weeks and I think she had to pretty much be confined to bedrest just to avoid jarring things around until her body replaced the fluid they'd drained out of there. Also she couldn't lift much of anything either for a while if I recall. She's totally recovered now and eyesight was fully restored. What they do these days with stuff like that is amazing.

BKB

HideHunter
11-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks again.. Just went out and shot another 20 rounds through the bb gun.. Only good news, I have to relate, is I'm hitting the plastic golf ball with a bit more regularity.. Hey! I'll take *anything* at this point.;)

Eddie - Wheeler Lake, AL: Here's one of the guys I was going with on last years trip. They have caught 3 fish over 80 in two trips:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/592/22161678833_88f3ea5ec3.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2015, 11:17 AM
You might have to switch to a scatter gun for a while!

BKB