PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Sky, how's your yote dog coming along???....

Big Muddy
11-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Just watched a dang good yote dogging show....Montana Doggers and Mike Dillon....those decoy dogs are just absolutely amazing.

Is your yote dog old enough, now, to be going hunting with you???

Big Skyz
11-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Some bad news there BM, that darn cur was a garbage gut. He had absolutely no filter and ate everything. Unfortunately one of those things was mouse poison.

airbud7
11-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Damn...that sucks.

Big Muddy
11-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Wow, Sky, I was unaware that happened....are you gonna try another dog???....I can just imagine the extraordinary amount of time that it takes to train a yote dog.

The episode I watched was hilarious....they did some yote calling, in conjunction with turning the dogs out, too....in a while, over the horizon, in comes a momma mule deer, chasing off a yote, and the yote was chasing one of the dogs....all three animals came in on a string, right behind one another....looked like a day'um pet parade!!!....they had to hold off shooting the yote, until the mulie and the dog cleared the field of fire....one of the best episodes of Fox Pro's Predator Quest that I've ever seen.

On a side note....I had a friend, just a few weeks ago, who's pup got into some rat poison pellets....he called the vet, who told him to immediately force-feed the pup two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide....he said the pup instantly threw up all the poison pellets, and had absolutely no side effects.

I had never heard of this treatment, but evidently it works, and I've made a mental note of it....just like I do about carrying Benadryl with me for treating snakebites in dogs.

Big Skyz
11-04-2015, 10:02 AM
BM we tried the peroxide thing but he was too far gone. We were on vacation and didn't get home in time once we heard something was wrong. We tried but we're just too many hours away. Right now I don't have any plans to get another dog, but perhaps I will change my mind eventually.

While Levi Johnson and Mike Dillon were filming that episode Big Al Morris, Jeff Writer and I were doing the same thing 80 miles west of them. We had a blast until Al's dog decided to tackle a porcupine on the last day. That was a project all by itself! Prior to that though we all killed coyotes and got to watch some great dog work.

Bwana
11-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear about the pup BS, that just plain sucks!

Big Muddy
11-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Yep, and somebody needs to teach that football player to shoot ;)....hilarious, watching him shoot 4 feet over a yote....he took it all in stride, however, and wore the clown suit, gracefully. ;)

Thumper
11-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Man! Sorry to hear about the pup. That sucks. :(

Nandy
11-04-2015, 05:44 PM
sorry about he pup man...

Big Skyz
11-04-2015, 08:04 PM
It happened back in August so I'm pretty much over it. The fact is it was a blessing and a curse. He was great to hike and run around outside with, but at home he was a little a-hole about half the time. I could deal with the chewing and mess making, but he got it in his head that he didn't need to respect my youngest daughter (age15). He would act very aggressive towards her sometimes, and if I was home it got him tuned up on the spot. I don't know if he would have quit that behavior or not as he got older, but if he didn't he would have eventually got a bullet in the head. I have zero tolerance for dogs that are aggressive towards people when unprovoked.

Big Muddy
11-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Sky, my son is going thru the same thing, right now, with an expensive chocolate lab....he's trying to train him to retrieve ducks and doves....however, I am thoroughly convinced that the dog is mentally retarded, or bipolar, or some sorta sheeit like that.

He's always gotten good results, training dogs without a shock collar, but he resorted to using it because this dog's attention span is zero....the dog is 10 months old, and weighs nearly 100 pounds, and pays absolutely no attention to the shock collar....even on the highest setting, it knocks him to his knees, and he gets right back up, and acts like nothing happened....he will get a running start, and aggressively tackle anyone within sight, like a linebacker....he dang near sent me to the ER about two weeks ago....I still got the knots and bruises on my legs.

I hated to do it, but I told my son NOT to bring the dog to my house, any more.....this dog is a high-dollar piece of dog sheeit....some dogs just ain't got what it takes, and can't be trained.

Big Skyz
11-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Like people, dogs are definitely not all created equal. I got a friend with a bone head lab just like that. He actually has two labs. One is a very good dig, the other is an idiot when it comes to obedience. However he is super birdy and hunts hard, the rest of the time though he is about worthless.