PDA

View Full Version : Workin' on improving my noticer status ...

Thumper
11-04-2015, 10:41 AM
I remember my grand parents had an organ in their house. (Hammond I think) I can't say I ever remember anyone actually playing it, but it was there for as long as I can remember. After attending a bazillion estate sales the past few years, I also notice at a very high percentage of them, there is an organ in the house. Naturally, houses where I attend estate sales have had older occupants. I'm assuming this was a "trend" back in the day. I mean, pianos are very common also, but I wouldn't expect to see as many organs as I do. Have any of youse seen these things in your grandparents house while you were growing up?

Now, if I could just start running across a bunch of Hammond B-3's with nice Leslie's sitting next to 'em, I might be able to REALLY retire!

LJ3
11-04-2015, 10:52 AM
I can't participate in a discussion about organs with you.

I think it is an old folks thing. Iv'e never seen anyone under the age of 70 that has an organ in their house.

Do you like old peoples organs? Is that the same thing as asking you if you love yourself? what the hell is going on here?

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2015, 10:54 AM
The only thing better than flowers on a piano is tulips on an organ.

BKB

Buckrub
11-04-2015, 11:02 AM
I have an 1856 Rosewood pump organ, made by Geo. A. Prince and Company, Buffalo, NY.

And a newer piano.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Various%20Pics/Pumporgan_zpsnpypc1yc.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Various%20Pics/Pumporgan_zpsnpypc1yc.jpg.html)

Thumper
11-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Ok Rub ... you are OFFICIALLY old!

I have come across a couple of pump organs also ... no clue if they worked or not. I assume they work with a bellows type system and I would think they'd crack and leak with age. Ha ha ... here it comes ... does your organ still work? ;)

HideHunter
11-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Lots of people I knew growing up had them in their houses.. We even had one for awhile - but my Mom played for the church.

'Rub.. my sister has my Great-Grandmother's pump organ. Not sure of the year, but it was her high school graduation gift. Upright and very ornate. My mom "restored" it 40 years ago. Probably murdered any collector's value.. but she did a great job. It's beautiful and works..

Thumper
11-04-2015, 11:35 AM
I'd have to say ... if I could run across a few of these combinations for a decent price ... I might have to take out a loan. That would be hard to pass up!

http://theatreorgans.com/grounds/grafx/xb3.gif

jb
11-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Thump, I think the small versions were call "Up Right Organs" and I'm sure even at your age you still play with one, well maybe not as well as when you were younger.:lmao

Thumper
11-04-2015, 11:43 AM
The only occasional problem these days is the "upright" part. Thank God for Pfizer! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Many years ago, there used to be a band from Memphis that came through here quite a bit and played often at a bar in Stillwater Oklahoma called The Jail. Their keyboards player played a B3 and he had twin leslies that sounded awesome. They used to run a Gibson Les Paul through those leslies and play an awesome rendition of 'Midnight Man' by Joe Walsh. Man, that was an awesome bar band. The band was called 'Junction' and they hailed from Memphis. You ever heard of 'em?

BKB

Captain
11-04-2015, 11:52 AM
I like the tulips on the organ.....
Good one Posty.

Buckrub
11-04-2015, 01:09 PM
My organs, both of them, still work well without chemical assistance. Both of them have to be pumped, but the pumps on both work quite well.

The wooden one is Rosewood, and not worth a lot. Mother bought it in an "Antique Store" about 50 years ago and gave it to us. It works well.

Thumper
11-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Many years ago, there used to be a band from Memphis that came through here quite a bit and played often at a bar in Stillwater Oklahoma called The Jail. Their keyboards player played a B3 and he had twin leslies that sounded awesome. They used to run a Gibson Les Paul through those leslies and play an awesome rendition of 'Midnight Man' by Joe Walsh. Man, that was an awesome bar band. The band was called 'Junction' and they hailed from Memphis. You ever heard of 'em?

BKB

Dang P-hole ... the name sure rings a bell. Did they have a guy named Jimmy Davis? I think he played with two different bands and I'm almost positive Junction was one of them. I can't remember the others in the group, but Jimmy used to hang out with someone from one of the recording studios in town. I believe the last time I saw him was at a place called Solomon's (?) in Overton Square (a cool Memphis hang-out in the 70's) and I'm sure he was with a band called Junction. (I left Memphis in '79) Memphis was known as the "Bluff City" and I think that was the name of his other band ... or maybe Bluff City Boys ... sumpin' like that.

I'm packing for a trip to L.A. right now, but when I get caught up, I'll have to dig around and see if I can find anything about that group. I guess I'm getting old, all I can do is come up with bits & pieces ... but have trouble putting them all together these days. Man, it sure sounds familiar though.

BarryBobPosthole
11-04-2015, 01:21 PM
I don't recall any names. They had two lead players and did a lot of Allman Brothers stuff with lead harmonies and such. An a lot of James Gang, stuff like that. We used to pay a two dollar cover, pour a pint of vodka in a $1.50 pitcher of beer, and get three or four of us pretty buzzed on the cheap while listening to an awesome band. This was around 1973.

BKb

Thumper
11-04-2015, 01:59 PM
I was in Memphis from '68-'71, then went to beautiful S.E. Asia from '71-'75 ... went back to Memphis from '77-'79 ... so sometimes I get my times screwed up. I may remember something from when I was in Memphis, but sometimes have trouble remembering if it was during my first stay, or my second. :crazy

I do know I'd go to Overton Square during the LATE 70's though because I don't think it existed in the early 70's.

Thumper
11-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Finally got a short break this morning. P-hole, I found a short bio on Jimmy ... it kinda matches up with my post above. I'm assuming it's the "Junction" you're talking about. I'm thinking possibly in the very early 70's it may have been simply "Junction" instead of "Jimmy Davis & Junction". Heck, it was a long time ago and I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night. I can't find a whole lot about his very early days. :(

Named Premier Male Vocalist by the Memphis chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences in 1998, Jimmy Davis is an integral part of the music scene of Memphis, TN. A founding member of the RiverBluff Clan in the mid-'70s, Davis has performed with the re-formed group since the early '90s. In between, he served as acoustic and electric guitarist and sang lead vocals for Jimmy Davis & Junction, a group he formed with RiverBluff Clan guitarist, violinist, mandolinist, and vocalist Tommy Burroughs. Their most successful single, "Kick the Wall," was released in 1987. A skilled songwriter, Davis has written tunes for Martina McBride and Restless Heart.

Big Muddy
11-05-2015, 09:38 AM
I'm not positive, but I think his band was the opening act for "Three Dog Night" in 1971 at the old Cow Palace at Miss. State....my memory mighta been a bit tequila-vodka-bourbon-infused from back then. ;)

Thumper
11-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Dang! In '71, my mind would have been "infused" with sumpin' else! ESPECIALLY at a Three Dog Night concert (I had EVERY one of their 8-tracks!) :D

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Eli's comin'.......

Thumper
11-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Eli's comin'.......

Eli's comin'??? Easy To Be Hard! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2015, 12:17 PM
One of their lead singers just died a week or so ago. I've always had their music around it seems. And an Okie songwriter, Hoyt Axton, wrote a few of their hits.

BKb

Captain
11-05-2015, 05:50 PM
I've still got my Three Dog Night, Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, Janice Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, and several more albums in the ORIGINAL clear plastic wrapping they came in.

Captain
11-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Hoyt Axton wrote a lot of the Beetles songs in the early years. He was some kinda amazing.

I just noticed Steppenwolf recorded on the Apple label! Just to show ya' how good Apple was even in the 60's. (I know, I know, different Apple, just SD'ing :D )

Thumper
11-05-2015, 06:01 PM
I had every one of those and love 'em! There is NOTHING like getting stoned and cranking the volume up on the long version of Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida or Janice when she was with Big Brother and the Holding Company ... or Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin or ... or ... dang, I think I need to spend a little time on YouTube!

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2015, 06:05 PM
I have a bunch of vinyl but its pretty well worn. For some reason I lost the great turntable I had in the divorce. She got the speakers, I got the receiver, she got the turntable. Strange. I didn't ask for any of it.

But I kept all of the albums I've hauled around since I was 17.

BKB

Thumper
11-05-2015, 06:12 PM
I gave all my vinyl to my sister when I went into the Army. I have no clue if she still has that stuff, but I seriously doubt it. I don't even remember whatever happened to my Sansui turntable OR my Teak reel-to-reel. But I still have the Kenwood receiver and speakers (which are as big as upright coffee tables)!

DeputyDog
11-05-2015, 06:18 PM
What are albums? Are those the big round things that are sold in antique stores now?

You guys are OLD!!!:oldfart:oldfart:oldfart:oldfart

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2015, 06:19 PM
^^^^if he was old enough, I'll bet he'd be an album stacker.

BKB

Thumper
11-05-2015, 06:22 PM
I had a bazillion of 'em. Believe it or not, they're coming back big-time. The true audiophiles claim there is NOTHING among today's technology that can match 'em for sound quality. Personally, I find that hard to believe, but who knows? Vintage turntables are bringing a premium on eBay these days.

DeputyDog
11-05-2015, 06:29 PM
I was just messin' with you guys. I would always buy vinyl and record it onto a cassette for playing in the car right away. I've still got a stack of them in my attic too. Of course, mine are 33 1/3 not the 78's like you guys had.

johnboy
11-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Analog recordings always sound better than digital if you play both on decent gear. I remember buying my first cd and being very disappointed in the sound quality. It was flat to my ear. Analog sounds 'warmer', if you know what I mean.

BarryBobPosthole
11-05-2015, 06:34 PM
I was just messin' with you guys. I would always buy vinyl and record it onto a cassette for playing in the car right away. I've still got a stack of them in my attic too. Of course, mine are 33 1/3 not the 78's like you guys had.

Whippersnapper.