PDA

View Full Version : The Future Looks Good, for now

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2015, 12:01 PM
We're finally getting some birds back in Oklahoma, those little brown ones that make you poop your pants walking in to a deer stand at five AM. There's a lot of theories out there about why we lost most of our quail, and to be honest I don't know if any of them hold water. Kansas didn't seem to lose theirs. But the numbers in Oklahoma made hunting very tough. Most people that I know that had dogs don't have them any more. And most upland bird hunters went to western Oklahoma or Kansas and hunted pheasants or hunted a lot of pen raised birds on private lands. Did it myself a few times with Hombre and we had some fun and Hombre worked his dog. But its more like a shoot than a hunt even though those trips were fun.

Oklahoma adopted a Kansas-like walk in hunting and fishing area plan and they're already enrolling a lot of land. Kansas has over a million acres available to hunters and fishermen that otherwise wouldn't be available to the public. Maybe some day we can too.

Anyway, I might have to limber up the old legs and do some walking this fall to see if I can find a covey or two.

Kelly Bostian: Quail season 2015 holds all kinds of promise

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/kelly-bostian-quail-season-holds-all-kinds-of-promise/article_2b6e6c92-46b7-5932-9f01-fe6e34c90f02.html

(Sent from Tulsa World)

Captain
11-17-2015, 12:16 PM
That's good news Posthole. When I was a kid, quail hunting and coon hunting were the only two kinds of hunting my dad did. I walked a gillizon miles behind quail dogs and would pick up those old paper hulls after he shot and would smell them till I got a headache. I guess that where I got the "gun powder" addiction!
Just last week I took Dad down to the farm and as we were on the driveway a small covey of about 8 to 10 birds got up and set their winds and glided off the driveway. I saw a smile and twinkle in his eye as he watched them.
Like you they have been gone from here for many years. But we are now beginning to see a covey or two on the farm.
I love hearing them and still jump like I did as a kid when an unsuspecting covey bolts up from under my feet!

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2015, 12:21 PM
I need a chance to show off my awesome wingshooting skills!

Hahahaha.....not.

It would be nice to hunt again with my old 20 ga 870 Express.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
11-17-2015, 01:20 PM
I'd love to do more upland game hunting in general. It seems like our golden age of deer hunting has made it an after thought for many. I miss the more social aspect of that type of hunting.

BarryBobPosthole
11-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Agreed! I'm gonna get in touch with Mallard and see if I can't shoot at a few ducks with him this season. Of all the duck hunting I've done probably 90% of it was probably done with him. Poor guy.

BKB

Thumper
11-17-2015, 09:52 PM
With a name like Mallard ... ya' think he really wants to be around a bunch'a crazy duck hunters with shotguns? ;)