PDA

View Full Version : All you waterfowl hunters

Arty
11-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Met at friend at the range tonight who brought these along to see if I had use for them. I don't, so I thought I'd check here.

I looked these up and they are $30 a box online.

He's helping his recently widowed neighbor get through and get rid of her late husbands things. And these are some of the things.

$10 a box and there were 7 boxes if I remember correctly.

If I shot anything that required steel shot id jump on them. But I don't.

Arty
11-19-2015, 08:10 PM
These are 3 1/2".

Arty
11-19-2015, 08:10 PM
And a few boxes of these

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Sadly, all steel shot is about that price these days. That's why I never miss! Can't afford to!

BKB

Captain
11-19-2015, 08:16 PM
I'd like to have that fast steel in the 3" 4 shot. That's what I shoot. :-)

Captain
11-19-2015, 08:17 PM
The 3 inch black cloud in 4 shot I could stand too. But the 2 shot I would not need.

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Never shot that brand. Is it good?

BKB

Captain
11-19-2015, 08:23 PM
I can only speak to the Fast Steel. That what I use duck hunting all the time. I buy a case each year.
As for as the Black Cloud goes I know we sell the crap out of it at BP. It would be worth a try for that money.

Big Muddy
11-19-2015, 10:36 PM
I'd buy 'em all, but it'd cost a fortune to ship 'em down to me....both Black Cloud and Fasteel are very popular, down this way.

Thumper
11-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Yep, ammo costs more to ship than it's worth. Not only is it heavy, but highly regulated and requires special shipping. Now if you're going to be passing through Cappy's neighborhood and wanted to hand deliver 'em, that's a different story.

BarryBobPosthole
11-19-2015, 10:45 PM
I have an old old bias against Federal ammo that goes back to squirrel hunting with my uncles and hearing them bitch about squirrels crawling off because of 'federals'. One uncle shot nthing but purple Peters. And ever since I've avoided Federal ammo. I imagine there's a lot of stupid brand loyalties and disloyalties that were started that way. I also haven't shot the new faster steel shots. Remington makes a Hyperspeed Steel shot now too. I always had good luck with Remmy Nitro steel.
One of my main issues with steel has always been cripples. It cuts rather than knocks down compared to lead. Does the faster load help or hurt that problem? Seems inuitively like it'd be worse. How do they achieve a higher velocity? Different power piston?

BKB

BKB

Big Muddy
11-19-2015, 11:02 PM
Lead shells are really easy to stomp in the mud, when Mr. Green Jeans come calling....at least, that's what I heard. ;)