PDA

View Full Version : Could have been a crying moment

jb
11-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Hunted this AM out of a 16 ladder stand. Called it a day at noon and hooked up my rifle on the rope to lower it down.
I always lower it with an empty chamber and just as I let it go out of my hand the rope broke and dropped my custom rifle to the ground.
Just missed landing on a log, but butt first it hit the ground and got buried in the snow.
Nothing broken or cracked, but I'm sure I'll have to take it to the range to see if it still shoots straight. Could have been much worse.

Captain
11-25-2015, 05:38 PM
"Lowering rope"???? Must be a Yankee thing. We climb with our rifles.
Sure glad nothing happened to that pretty shooting stick!

Big Muddy
11-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Yep, me too, Cap....unloaded, of course....I just slip the rifle sling around my neck, and up I go....'course most of my stands are only 10 feet tall, and the ladders are well inclined....I can see where climbers might be a different issue, however.

JB, I'm glad your shooting iron survived any serious damage.

airbud7
11-25-2015, 06:19 PM
16 foot ladder stand is no joke though!...

Chicken Dinner
11-25-2015, 06:23 PM
Man, you really dodged a bullet on that one!🙀

I use a rope with a climber, but just throw it across my back when I use a ladder stand.

BarryBobPosthole
11-25-2015, 07:00 PM
you're awful big for a 16 foot ladder!

I've not dropped mine. Just left it in the truck and got it stole.

But you weren't sympathetic, neither will I be.

Hope it shoots striaght.

BKB

Nandy
11-25-2015, 09:15 PM
I did the rope thing many years ago but it never felt good so I started climbing with it laying in the climber wrapped with the soft seat.
I hope there was no damage, POI can be fixed easily, I tapped mine last week but the POI did not change. Good luck!!!

Thumper
11-26-2015, 08:14 AM
16-foot ladder? For what? Just stand next to a tree .... 16' should be right about eye-level for you! ;)