PDA

View Full Version : Any New England suggestions?

Thumper
11-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Lynn has always wanted to go to New England for lobster season (eating, not catching). So, yesterday I bought plane tickets and reserved a rental car. She arranged for a comp'ed room at the Hyatt for 4-nights next June (5-8) in Portland, Maine. Now, this will be her first trip to New England (except for business trips with no time to explore). I actually lived in Massachusetts for a while and have been ALL OVER New England and Quebec, but dang, that was 43-44 years ago! I do remember, while there, I could drive 20 minutes and go through elebenty states! But back then, I was mostly into the beaches and camping in the woods. The country is unbelievable up there and there are some beautiful sites. We have plenty of time to play around on the i-net and do a bit of research, but I was just wondering if anyone here had a "ya' gots to do/see this" suggestion that we might overlook. Remember, we'll have a car and can travel, although we'd have to be able to get back to the room in Portland every night.

Anyway, do any of youse dufes have anything we should consider for our "must-do" list?

Big Muddy
11-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Thump, wifey and I went to the World Lobster Festival in Rockland, Maine for our 35th anniversary....rented a car and saw everything all up and down the Maine coastline....Portland is a really nice town....we ate some amazing crab cakes there in a little sidewalk shop, owned by a young couple from, of ALL places, Noxapater, Mississippi!!!

Wifey is addicted to lobster, so we ate them in some sorta dish, nearly every meal....ya'll are going at the perfect time of the year, and will absolutely love it!!!

Two of the more interesting sites we visited were the Owl's Head Transportation Museum in Owl's Head and the Maine Aviation Museum in Bangor.

BarryBobPosthole
11-27-2015, 12:36 PM
I could spend a week at Fanueil Hall in Boston. But you ain't gonna be there.

Soak up the history, and enjoy the lobster. Your buddy W says Keenebunkport is nice about any time of year. Show up there amd tell them you're a Republcan. They'll prolly let you in the compound.

BKB

Thumper
11-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks Muddy, I'll print this thread and add it to the file ... yeah, we planned the date to coincide with the Lobster season.

Yeppers P-hole, I went to spy school at Ft. Devens and spent many of my weekends in Boston. I think I've seen most everything there is to see there at least once ... including Faneuil Hall. Well, at least I saw all there was to see that was there in very early '72. That town is FULL of history and I prolly have a bazillion old photos of most every historic site in Boston. I also had quite a few drinks at Broadway Joe's right on The Commons. B-Joes was also just a few doors down from the USO.

Big Muddy
11-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Thump, I pulled up the websites of both museums for you....the Owl's Head Transportation Museum was our favorite....with your knowledge and love of vehicles, that place will be right up your alley.

http://owlshead.org/

http://www.maineairmuseum.com/page/942/home

Thumper
11-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Thanks Mudward. Lynn doesn't get too excited about "transportation" type museums, but I'll sure throw it out to her and see if she bites. ;)

jb
11-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Went there a few years ago in the fall for a color tour, wasn't any, went there to walk some nice sandy ocean beaches, weren't any, went there to eat seafood, success !
Wifes brother had friends that owned a little restaurant in Rockland, then went to LLBean in Freeport, neat store, they sort of took over the entire town. We ended up in Bar Harbor, and drove through Acadia National Park before spending the night. Planned on whale watching in the AM but just about dusk the motel felt like it got hit by a truck, everyone there ran outside to find nothing.
Went back in and across the TV came the news that Bar Harbor just had a 4.5 earthquake, first one in something like 150 years, warning also said no tsunami expected but stay tuned.
Wife slept in her cloths and said we're out of here at first light.
Bar Harbor is nothing but Disney World, t-shirt shops and cheap do-dads, very disappointing.
I think the nicest place we visited was Gloucester Mass, lot's of history and great food.
We got all the fall colors we wanted by driving home on I-89 through NH and VT.
Have fun.

Thumper
11-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Yep, the people we had T-giving dinner with told us to hit Bar Harbor, but I can't remember if I've been there or not. One of my regular hang-outs was Gloucester ... I think it was maybe 50-60 miles from Ft. Devens, if I remember correctly. It'll be kind of fun to see some of my old stomping grounds up there ... but if I see any 40-somethings who look like me, I'll be hauling ass in the opposite direction. There was a certain little sweetheart in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire (about 40-45 miles north of Gloucester) who I was .... well, never mind, I prolly have GRANDKIDS up there these days! ;)

Big Muddy
11-27-2015, 08:09 PM
You mean great-grand-kids, doncha??? ;)

Thumper
11-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Have I told you to BITE-ME lately? ;)