PDA

View Full Version : Hidehunter

BarryBobPosthole
11-30-2015, 02:51 PM
Been messing around at my parent's station and took a couple of snaps that you might recognize.

BKB

Old RCA AM radio transmitter. I started reading the meters and recording in the log for this old dinosaur when I was 14. The size of the power amp tubes are amazing.

This the old control board. Learned on this one and got my provisional third phone when I was 17.

Just a pic of the front panel. You could almost get a tan from the RF off of this thing when it was humming along.

And finally, to give you an idea of how old this transmitter is (and it still works!) who remembers what the Conelrad button is for? Was on my third phone test I believe. Man I feel old!

Chicken Dinner
11-30-2015, 03:23 PM
How's your eye doing while you're at it?

Thumper
11-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Have you been drinking? Or did you let Bwana post those pics? Basackwards, upside down, sideways ... almost every configuration but straight up. :D

HideHunter
12-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Wow - that does bring back some memories - maybe not identical but very much like the first station I worked at KSOA in Ava MO.. She was a giant. ;)

Well, CD... Good news and bad.. Had surgery - It's quite a process - weld it in with a laser, then inject a gas bubble. Had to spend 10 days in "face-down" recovery.. 23 hrs a day with the only "up" time when my wonderful wife was putting in eye drops six times a day.. At my week in appt.. operation was deemed successful in that the retina stuck.. After a couple more weeks now - I can see out of it but everything is distorted. Have had a hell of a time getting anyone to tell me anything about what I should be expecting.. Guess everyone's recovery is so different - they just done' tell you much of anything.. I have shot through a scope.. Crosshairs are all "wiggly" but the center still seems to be the center. Still practicing left-handed.. We'll "see" (see what I did there?) ;)

thanks for asking...

Thumper
12-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Wow Hidey-Ho, I wish you the best. Your post brings back bad memories! I hope the worst is behind you now and full recovery goes smoothly.

Nandy
12-01-2015, 05:52 PM
This post brings memories.... When I was teenager and in summer vacation I was considered to work with the town FM station which I was very interested until a position for a life guard opened up at the town Olympic pool.... My mind went immediately from electronics, vacuum tubes and transmitters to young athletic females in swimsuit. My mom could not understand why i changed my mind and went for the non electronic job given that the summer job money was to buy an oscilloscope for my tv/radio shop I had while I was in high school, my dad just smiled at the dinner table when I announced my decision.