PDA

View Full Version : Ha! The cost of being a foodie!

Thumper
12-11-2015, 10:30 AM
While in L.A. for Lynn's mom's 80th birthday, we took her to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. It's also the same restaurant Lynn took me for my birthday 30 years ago! Their prime rib is to die for! Lynn and her mom had the California Cut and I had the Beef Bowl Cut which is a double sized cut, as served to the Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl teams (old-time tradition).

Lynns "baby" cut.

What reminded me of this? I just received my AmEx bill. (we "may" have gone a bit overboard on the good Champagne!) I DO remember handing Lynn my card to pay the bill, as I really didn't want to see it. Ouch! ;)

11/16/15 LAWRYS BEVERLY HILLS
BEVERLY HILLS CA
RESTAURANT
TIP $77.12
$603.00

BarryBobPosthole
12-11-2015, 10:57 AM
The Yorkshire pudding looks good too! One of my faves!

You leftist.

BKB

Thumper
12-11-2015, 11:01 AM
At least Leftists eat well. ;)

They're famous for their Yorkshire pudding. I had to put mine on a separate plate. That creamed corn was the best I've ever had in my life and pretty much ate up my extra plate space.

BarryBobPosthole
12-11-2015, 11:13 AM
I knew you were a leftist from the hand you were using to drink your Night train.

BKB

Thumper
12-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Hmmmm, Looking at that pic, I AM leaning a bit to the left, ain't I? I'll put a memo to that effect into your noticer file. :D

Big Skyz
12-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Finally you are eating something I don't consider to be bait for catfishing.

Thumper
12-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Ha! Yeah, if that was bait, the fishies would have to go hungry this time! ;)

Big Muddy
12-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Day'um, that is one big chunk of meat, and cooked to perfection !!!....that thing is bigger than my bare foot, and it's a size #14 !!! ;)

Thumper
12-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Dang you gots big feets! (BTW, I wear a 15 ... welcome to the club of people who can't simply walk into Wally World and buy a pair of tennis shoes) :(

Thumper
12-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Finally you are eating something I don't consider to be bait for catfishing.

Oh yeah B/S, I forgot to mention, speaking of bait, I left a little note for you but it's burried in one of these goofball football threads. I tried to change the subject, but they didn't fall for it. Since you don't follow those dumb ball threads either, I figure you probably missed it.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthread.php?8124-Hey-Cap-you-an-NC-State-fan

quercus alba
12-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Contrary to popular belief, people with big feet is merely compensation for other less developed areas

Big Skyz
12-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Yup, I missed it. All but the octopus did have my mouth watering. Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I had Bulgogi. I'm thinking I might have to have a date night with my wife soon and visit our local Korean restaurant. We are very fortunate that we have an outstanding Korean restaurant here. All the help is Korean and the food is excellent. You guys that live in larger cities probably take having a good ethnic restaurant for granted, but here in these smaller cities of less than 100,000 good restaurant can sometimes be hard to find.

Thumper
12-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I didn't think you'd go for the octopus. ;)

For the most part, we have the usual National chains and burger joints here as this town is also rather small. BUT ... we're 1/2 hour from Orlando to the east and 1/2 hour from Tampa to the west, so we have just about ANYTHING available "locally" without having to live in that "big city" atmosphere. :D

Big Skyz
12-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Some of the best Asian food I've ever had was in San Francisco. There is an area in SF that has nothing but Asian restaurants on both sides of the street. It's not China Town. It's a place where the Asian's actually go to eat as opposed to the tourists. A friend of mine from SF took me there and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. There was every Asian country represented multiple times as one walked down the street. Plus there was a large grocery store right in the middle of it that only specialized in Asian food. It was cool and weird at the same time going in the store and seeing all kinds of creepy-crawler things for sale, just like the old street markets back in Korea. I sure wish I could remember the name of the area as it's one of the coolest places I've ever visited.

Thumper
12-11-2015, 01:37 PM
I'd be in heaven! ;)

My brother lives there (San Rafael actually), but he goes to the city often. He's lived there since the late 70's, so I'm sure he knows.

LJ3
12-11-2015, 01:51 PM
You're not a foodie. You're a garbage disposal. I mean that in the most loving way possible! :)

Thumper
12-11-2015, 01:55 PM
And I love you too Lenster ... now Bite Me! ;)

Buckrub
12-11-2015, 02:01 PM
$77.12?

Huh?

You must be like a guy at our camp. Richest guy I know. We go eat and at register he pulls out a cheatsheet card telling him what 15% was, and added that. I think it was $1.82. I just gave the lady three bucks and sneered at mr. Goober.

Thumper
12-11-2015, 02:06 PM
$77.12?

Huh?

You must be like a guy at our camp. Richest guy I know. We go eat and at register he pulls out a cheatsheet card telling him what 15% was, and added that. I think it was $1.82. I just gave the lady three bucks and sneered at mr. Goober.

Naaa, we decided to do it that way a long time ago. There's a method to my madness. On credit card charges, we simply make the tip come to the nearest dollar amount on the total (notice the total bill is an even amount). Then when I get my statement, an odd figure kind of stands out and I may scrutinize the charge a bit more. (Of course if I leave a cash tip, it'll be an even $2, $3, or whatever.)

See, I ain't cheap ... OR dumb. (we normally round UP, unless it's really close and we'll knock off a few cents) ;)

I do the same with gas. I always stop the pump on an even amount ... like $35.00 ... or $32.50. An odd number will catch my eye on the statement.

LJ3
12-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Being an actual foodie I can hip you dufes to how it's done.

$77.12 round up to $80.00. 10% of $80 is $8.00 X 2=$16.00

Tip $16 and when you come back they know you and treat you very well. Get bigger pours on my drinks, better service, let in on chef specials they only tell people that aren't douchebags, free apertifs, etc.

Thumper
12-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Ummm, I suppose you missed my whole point and lose any Jr. Noticer status you may have accrued. I make the TOTAL an even amount ... that usually means an odd number on the tip. Besides ... I doubt they'll remember me next time. The restaurant is 2500 miles from here, I was there last in 1986 and, for all I know, it might be another 30 years before I go back. IF I live to be in my mid-90's! ;)

Captain
12-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Finally REAL food. That prime rib looks GREAT! I'd be on that in a New York minute!
Thumper Mrs. Captain and I do the same thing with the tip. It was actually Hammerhead that started us doing it several years ago.

airbud7
12-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Me to Cappy!!!That prime rib looks GREAT!

Good stuff Thump...I'm hungry now!

Thumper
12-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Lynn and her mom took half of theirs home ... I finished mine and was eye-balling theirs, but they threatened me with their knives AND forks! :hair

'Course I didn't even show the salad, hot bread, side of creamed spinach, dessert, etc.

Thumper
12-11-2015, 05:41 PM
If I remember correctly, her brother paid his tab with cash and picked up part of the overall tip ... we just topped it off.

airbud7
12-11-2015, 05:45 PM
... I finished mine and was eye-balling theirs, but they threatened me with their knives AND forks! :hair

hahaha^

BarryBobPosthole
12-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Be careful pooping around hogs with all that corn you're gonna be leaving for the next few days.

BKB

quercus alba
12-12-2015, 12:11 AM
i'm not sure i've ever seen mashed taters and gravy with prime rib. I would think a baked potato topped with clarified butter and chives along with grilled asparagus tips would be more conventional

Captain
12-12-2015, 12:19 AM
I bet he put Ketchup on that prime rib... :D ;)

Thumper
12-12-2015, 12:38 AM
I bet he put Ketchup on that prime rib... :D ;)

That's Bucky you dufus used-to-be-a-good-noticer! I didn't put a darned thing on it ... it didn't even need salt. They've been experts at prime rib since 1938. I think they have it perfected!

QA, I think a baked 'tater was an option and I know asparagus was as we also had a side of asparagus not shown in the pic.

BarryBobPosthole
12-12-2015, 12:40 AM
Is that the Fred Flintstone Special?

BKB

Thumper
12-12-2015, 12:42 AM
Yep, put that puppy on a window tray and it'll tip your hooptie on it's side!