PDA

View Full Version : Very expensive ducks.....

Big Muddy
12-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Don't screw with the feds, down here....NO body can afford to fight them, and they know it....they will always find another charge to dump against you, even if they have to make one up. !!!
What amazes me about this law is, you can legally hunt doves(federal migratory bird, too)over a manipulated grain field, but return to that same field a few weeks later, to hunt ducks, and get your azz busted.

Hunter fined $30,000 for knocking down corn stalks
Brian Broom, The Clarion-Ledger 3:29 p.m. CST December 10, 2015
Hunter gets steep fine for riding ATV through duck hole and toppling stalks of corn:

"""A Greenville, MS man pled guilty in federal court on December 8 to one count of taking migratory birds with the aid of bait and aiding and abetting others to do the same.
According to a media statement from the U.S. Attorneys Office, Northern District of Mississippi, Gene Stock, 36, had planted corn in a duck impoundment in Washington County. During the 2014-15 season, the statement said Stock used an all-terrain vehicle to retrieve downed ducks and to go to and from his blinds and moving blinds from one location to another. In doing so, he illegally knocked down corn stalks and scattered grain.
According to the U.S. Attorneys Office, "Federal law makes it unlawful to hunt migratory waterfowl over any area where agricultural crops have been manipulated, including manipulation by any motorized vehicle, unless the manipulation consists of a normal agricultural practice as defined by the state extension service."
Stock was ordered to pay $30,000 in fines."""

Thumper
12-11-2015, 01:10 PM
(Playing Devil's advocate here)

"Something tells me there's a little more to the story than what is shown in this article. I have a feeling ol' Gene was pretty much trying to skirt the rules with a bit of "manipulation" hisownfineself.

He PLANTED the corn ... ya' think it ever crossed his mind to leave a trail for ingress and egress?

Petty maybe, but ol' Gene may have thought he was being pretty slick. ;)

Big Muddy
12-11-2015, 01:35 PM
You prolly right....rumors are that he was actually guiding the hunts....the feds really crack down on folks who do that sheeit for money....chances are, the penalty woulda been a lot less, if it was just a couple of good ole boys, trying to hit a few birds on the back 40.

And, there ARE ways to manipulate, without appearing to
manipulate....ifyouknowwhatimeanandyouprollydo. ;)

Buckrub
12-11-2015, 01:55 PM
Last two days hard to deer hunt here....Duck shooters all around me. Like a war all morning.

Thumper
12-11-2015, 01:58 PM
And, there ARE ways to manipulate, without appearing to manipulate....ifyouknowwhatimeanandyouprollydo. ;)

ESPECIALLY if you're an old school farmer type person. ;)

Big Muddy
12-11-2015, 02:08 PM
ESPECIALLY if you're an old school farmer type person. ;)

EXACTLY !!! ;)

Captain
12-11-2015, 02:13 PM
And, there ARE ways to manipulate, without appearing to manipulate....ifyouknowwhatimeanandyouprollydo. ;)

I have NO clue what you are talking about. :D

Captain
12-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Personally I think it should be legal to bait ducks, with guidelines. You should be required to register your impoundment with the wildlife and advise them what days/times you are going to hunt. That way they can check you if they want too.
It would help the wildlife department in they can check your limits, by knowing where and when you are hunting. They could also require you to keep season totals of type ducks taken which could be valuable information.
They will also know what days are registered to hunt and if anyone is caught hunting on days outside that they can be locked up.
I honestly believe the amount of ducks taken would be about the same as it is now, AND the migrating ducks would have more food for their journey south.
After all it is the hunters that spend the bucks and look after the wildlife, not the tree huggers and whale kissers.
Just my opinion.

Thumper
12-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Well your opinion sucks big weenies! What'cha think about that? ;)

Captain
12-11-2015, 05:38 PM
I think your disapproval would lend itself to supporting my proposal. :D