PDA

View Full Version : Pretty cool ...

Thumper
12-13-2015, 08:18 PM
I had a set of 4 yearbooks (1951-1954) from a small college in Tennessee that I'd picked up at a local estate sale. The 1954 book sold immediately, a while back, so all I had listed were the '51 - '53 books. Saturday morning I received an email from a guy who gave me a name and asked if I'd mind checking to see if the name was listed in any of them. He explained it was his mother and she went to school there, but he wasn't sure what year she graduated. He said she died at a very young age and he was trying to learn more about her. I found her photo as a Senior in the 1953 book and also as a Sophomore in the 1951 book. I took pics of the pages her photos were on and emailed them to him. He was extremely happy, said he'd never seen either of those photos before and said he'd like to purchase both books (I shipped them yesterday afternoon).

I told him it was odd she wasn't pictured in the '52 book, but mentioned she may have just been absent the day yearbook photos were taken and missed out. The books all mentioned which Seniors were not pictured, but no mention was made of the lower classmen who weren't pictured. He said that'll just give him something to research further. It'll probably always be a mystery, but it was really cool to be able to help him out, building the story about his mother whom he never got to know very well.

BarryBobPosthole
12-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Maybe that was the year he was born.

BKB

Captain
Just one more thing about what you do that is cool. I'm sure it means the world to that guy to find those yearbooks.

Captain
Maybe that was the year he was born. BKB

I was thinking that same thing Posty.

Thumper
12-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Maybe that was the year he was born. BKB

No clue Posty. Although we emailed back and forth quite a bit, I didn't ask any personal questions. She died young ... I was curious, cancer? Car wreck? Murdered? Who knows? He didn't offer the info and I didn't ask. Didn't feel it was my place. For all I know, she "could" have died during childbirth (his birth).

At any rate, it was kind of cool helping him in that small way.

It was really odd that I found these yearbooks at an estate sale here. (crazy coinky-dink) My uncle was born here (the family later moved to Orlando, when my dad was 7 yrs. old) and he also attended Maryville College in Tennessee (where the yearbooks were from). He was very involved with the school and it's sports program and was not only the radio announcer for all of their ballgames, the school has a scholarship in his name. We were pretty close and emailed as well as talked on the phone often, up until his death about 3 years ago. I remember every time I returned from a trip to S.E. Asia, he'd call and want all the details.

http://www.brunswickmemorialpark.com/obituaries/Kenneth-Kribbs/#!/Obituary

Captain
12-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Maryville Tenn is where my daughter lives. Right outside Knoxville.

Thumper
12-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Dang! Small world.

Sheeesh! I still picture her as the little girl I first met 20+ years ago. Where does the time go? :(