PDA

View Full Version : Lost a good one

Hombre
12-13-2015, 10:02 PM
My grandpa passed on Friday. He was a WW2 veteran, an awesome grandpa, and could fix just about anything.

I am really happy for him. He lived to be 94 watched his kid and grandkids grow up to be successful. My grandma passed 4 years ago and I know he missed her every day and the last few years were a lot harder on him. It is odd but he passed 4 years later on the same day as my grandma. So I know he is happier now and with grandma.

I was pretty close to him and even though I now live in Washington still talked to him every couple of weeks on the phone. It really lately has me thinking when we lose the older people in our life the sadness isnt foe them but for our loss, and the loss of the things that made their generation special. Some of the special things I remember about him

- he could fix anything. That's what his generation did. A mower broke you didn't just buy a new one you tore it down and fixed it.

- he could build anything. He made me my first bat on a lathe and built me a go cart, by welding the frame and rebuilding a mower engine someone gave him.

- He had no idea what credit was. Not really but most everything he bought was cash. Grandpa worked as a caterpillar tractor driver and didnt make a lot, but he saved and paid in cash.

- He was forgiving. Once when I was about 4 I was helping him shingle a roof. He fell off the side only holding on and said go get your grandma. I went in and grandma got me some ice cream later she asked where is grandpa? I said he is falling off the roof. She got the ladder and he came in and had Ice cream.

There are many more things but they just don't make them like grandpa anymore.

Thumper
12-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Ha ha ha! I don't mean to laugh, but the last one cracked me up! ;)

Yep, I'm with you on the tough part about losing that generation. Those are memories like no kid of this day and age will ever have. Heck, I'm FROM part of that age actually. I couldn't tell you how many times I'd pull the vacuum tubes from our radio or tv set and take them down to the drug store tester, buy a new tube to replace the bad one, then come home and fix the tv/radio. Heck, I was just a kid, but the fix it instead of junk it mentality stuck with me for years. That is UNTIL I threw a party back in the 70's (or early 80's?) and someone burned up my blender while making margaritas (added too much ice). I think a new blender ran about $30 or so ... I tried to order a new motor and the motor alone cost something like $50! It's then I realized we now live in a throw-away society.

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, my grandmother also lived to be 94.

Buckrub
12-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Condolences. Some great memories though.

BarryBobPosthole
12-13-2015, 10:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa, Boh. You were really fortunate to have him in your life for so long. So born in 1921. Amazing what he saw in his lifetime.

BKB

Thumper
12-13-2015, 10:37 PM
That's one thing I thought would have been really cool about my grandmother. She was born in December of 1899. I'd always hoped she'd live to be 100 years old and she'd have lived in three different centuries. She missed it by 5 1/2 years. :(

Hombre
12-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Thump, you are so right. Some of the change is people cant just fix it but a lot is stuff is built for a throw away buy a new one society.

BBP - I sure feel lucky to have had him and his influence so long in my life.

Buck Thanks. Yep I have so many great memories

Big Muddy
12-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Hombre, he sounds like a fine gentleman....sure, you'll miss him, but no need to mourn the death of a man like that....he wouldn't want you to....celebrate his life!!!

Captain
12-13-2015, 11:00 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. There is just no replacing a wonderful grandparent. Glad you have such great memories!

Trav
12-13-2015, 11:50 PM
He was a great guy Hombre, I really enjoyed the time I spent with him. That whole generation was something special.

Arty
12-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like the memories will last your lifetime.

Hombre
12-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone. I definitely have the memories to last a lifetime.

Trav - Yep those were some good days on the pheasant hunting trips. He sure enjoyed the early morning breakfast with everyone.

HideHunter
12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Condolences.. A lot of memories there, for me too...

Nandy
12-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear your loss, I lost my grandpa which I love so much many years ago, I had a chance to see him a few weeks before. bitter sweet, I can relate....