PDA

View Full Version : I got a football observation/question....

Big Muddy
12-14-2015, 12:01 AM
I'm watching the Pats vs Texans game, and this occurred to me, after watching the refs screw up two punt markings....actually, it's prolly more accurate, watching it on tv.
When high punts go out of bounds before hitting the ground, there is no way a ref, who is running down the sidelines, can accurately judge where the punt actually crossed the out of bounds line...his eyeballs are not on the same plane as the punted ball, so he just holds his hand in the air, runs to the general vicinity, where he "thinks" the ball crossed the line, then places his foot on that spot.
There is no way the refs can get that totally accurate, and every inch counts in football....however, I've NEVER seen any of those ref's markings contested or reviewed.
With elebenty million cameras on the field, why isn't there a camera, looking straight down onto the field, and get it completely accurate???....jmho.

Buckrub
12-14-2015, 06:44 PM
From where, the moon?

:)

Captain
12-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Put a GPS unit inside the ball and mark the exact spot... :-)

Thumper
12-14-2015, 08:42 PM
I thought all you dufes were recently complaining about calls based on video playback. I think I remember someone here saying to just let the refs do their job and be done with it. Like the GE foods discussion, where do you want to draw the line?

Arty
12-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Put a GPS unit inside the ball and mark the exact spot... :-)
Would never work. Would be too heavy for Tom Brady to throw.

Big Muddy
12-15-2015, 01:05 AM
It may seem trivial, but there are cameras, hanging from and running up and down wires, literally, all over the fields, at every tv game....watch close next time you are viewing a game on tv....refs get it right about 50% of the time....easy fix.

(P.S. - And, Bucky, you are being obese....errrr, I mean obtuse. ;))

Buckrub
12-15-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm both.

They did finally get a goal line cam. Maybe more is coming.

I wonder why they don't have tracks on the sideline with Lazer eyes....to mark exact first downs. Heck, my garage door even has em!

Big Muddy
12-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Something else I don't understand is some ref calls are unchallengeable....if a ref fricks-up something, it oughta be corrected, just like everything else.

Buckrub
12-15-2015, 10:52 AM
And they should have to have a press conference after every game and answer questions.