PDA

View Full Version : Whew! What a Relief!

BarryBobPosthole
12-16-2015, 03:55 PM
As everyone knows, I decided to retire last year and took a severance package from Verizon. We managed to stretch that eight months of pay and medical insurance coverage to a full year without touching any of our savings or retirement accounts. That was the easy part. The hard part was figuring out we can keep me retired and make retirement an option for my wife who is three years younger than me. We met with our financial advisor today to get the skinny on our financial plan and got some really great news: we made it over the hump of being able to retire now, have an annual six figure retirement income, and still have our retirement savings grow even with modest market growth. At least thats the way it stands today. Supposedly we even have a 2008 style recession built into our plans but I'm a little dubious.
We both thought we were close to being there, but until today we weren't sure how it would work out for sure. You can't imagine how excited my wife and I are to get this news. Money has never been all that important to either of us, but security is for sure and this means a lot towards that goal. Something bad could happen tomorrow and change it all, but for now I'm ecstatic! I might even have a drink or two this afternoon! Woo hoo!

And no, I hope y'all don't think I'm bragging or anything. I know pride goeth before a fall. But it ain't wrong to stand back a little and admire your work! (except if you're a roofer, my grandpa taught me that one!)

BKB

LJ3
12-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Good on ya! absolutely damn skippy you should be proud of that accomplishment!

and... you can treat me well when I come live with you this summer to fish!

Cards01
12-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Congrats

Big Skyz
12-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Good for you guys. I'm going to use that line your grandpa taught you. In fact I'm still smiling over that one. :D

airbud7
12-16-2015, 04:41 PM
:beer

Thumper
12-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Talk about stretching a buck. I retired with zero savings and get $1920/month Social Security. Not having to worry about medical coverage is nice (VA), so that amounts to something.

Lynn is 6 years younger. I've never had any sort of retirement plan. I always figured if anything happened to her, I could make it on my own (I'd go live in Thailand for $800/month!), but I always worried about her if something should happen to me. She has a 401K that we always max out and I've always contributed the max allowable into her IRA, plus she's insured out the ass if anything should happen medically. (over and above company insurance) She doesn't make squat ($13/hr or something like that), so her check just makes her car payment and buys her gas/insurance with enough left over for a McD's lunch every day.

I figure by time she's able to retire and we can get back to living comparatively comfortably, I'll frigging croak and some other dude will reap the benefits! ;)

Congrats on the successful financial planning! :thumbsup

P.S. I have fun with eBay, but that just gives us a bit extra to get away for a weekend here and there. Still, I have to admit, this truck I just purchased a few weeks ago, is the FIRST new vehicle I've ever paid cash for ... in my life! Go figure..

Captain
12-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Congrats Posty. It is very nice to not have to worry during retirement, and fish and stuff... ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Good deal! I hope to be where you are in about 10 years. Of course, my youngest is 12. So, unless he decides to make a living out of the electric guit-fiddle I'm giving him for Christmas college tuition might delay that plan a bit.

jb
12-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Prior Proper Planning goes a looooong way in retirement.
Now's the time to enjoy it after all those years you worked to make this possible.

Arty
12-16-2015, 06:10 PM
People like you, and people like my parents (just read that as "both ends of the spectrum") are the reason I have diligently been in, and contribute to my 401k since the age of 23.
Hasn't always been as much as I wanted (my wife gets in the way) but it's always been something.

Good on you man.

I wanna tell your story one day! I'll copy your post and save it for later.

Much later.

BarryBobPosthole
12-16-2015, 08:24 PM
You're doing it right, Artie. Not saving in a 401k is turning away free money. And saving paying taxes until you're in a lower tax bracket too. Its not as hard as people would like to make it. Its just one of those do it, and forget about it and you won't miss it.

And thanks everyone! I finally feel retired!

BKB

Thumper
12-16-2015, 08:53 PM
And thanks everyone! I finally feel retired! BKB

And you LOOK retarded! ;)

airbud7
12-16-2015, 09:07 PM
And you LOOK retarded! ;)

Have you looked @your avatar vs his?.....hes riding/driving a boat...you headhunting....;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-16-2015, 09:22 PM
Have you looked @your avatar vs his?.....hes riding/driving a boat...you headhunting....;)

You have noticer potential young feller.

BKB

airbud7
12-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks Barry...cant wait till im ahead of thump on the noticer stuff!...Thump is not as good as me(airbud)...so fuck him!:swordfight...he always puts you down and I am better than him....

I vote airbud(me) official noticer!

BarryBobPosthole
12-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Well, as for that, he's pretty high on the Shit Disturber list so that's not got anything to do with noticing. A Noticer would have noticed that.

See how far you have to go?

Don't get discouraged. It gets easier.

Not!

BKB

airbud7
12-16-2015, 11:01 PM
he's pretty high on the Shit Disturber list so that's not got anything to do with noticing. A Noticer would have noticed that.

See how far you have to go?

Don't get discouraged. It gets easier.

Not!

BKB

Ok Barry... I hope one day I can be a Shit Disturber......but for now I only wanted to beat thump @noticer stuff!....Thanks Bro!

Thumper
12-16-2015, 11:20 PM

I'm a chick magnet!

Thumper
12-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Airbud, I see a glaring SD'er/Noticer failure already. You obviously haven't read and studied the Unofficial Good Hunting SD'er/Noticer Field Manual.

On virtual page 2,137, paragraph 3 ... it states that one is required to serve as an apprentice SD'er/Noticer for a minimum of three years from registration date. Obviously you didn't NOTICE that!

Epic Failure!

BarryBobPosthole
12-16-2015, 11:57 PM
What were we charging for those?

BKB

airbud7
12-17-2015, 12:03 AM
Agree Thump^...But paragraph 447-13 says that at any time if a/any member shall prove he is a better shit distributor than current shit distributor then a vote from all members should ensue....

Captain
12-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Agree Thump^...But paragraph 447-13 says that at any time if a/any member shall prove he is a better shit distributor than current shit distributor then a vote from all members should ensue....

Ha!!!! I'm King of the SD's. It's hard to shit a man that carries a turd in both pockets. And that would be me! :D

Thumper
12-17-2015, 08:28 AM
...... then a vote from all members should ensue....

This is where your lack of experience and basic knowledge of G/H daily operations rears it's ugly head Mr. Airbud. That's the reason a lengthy apprenticeship is a requirement for all rookies entering the SD'er/Noticer ranks. ANY G/H veteran would know and understand the daily operational procedures of this establishment and that certain terms in the "Unofficial Good Hunting Virtual Handbook" are elided and implicit. For your edification, the legal interpretation of the asseveration, "all members" is ... indubitably ... "all members of the Secret Committee."

Therefore, at this time, your advancement to Jr. Noticer and/or SD'er status must be denied and your apprenticeship status still stands until further review, AFTER the established and required probationary period is satisfied. I must caution you, self-promotion here will not be tolerated and I can not stress enough, the importance of understanding your neophyte ranking among the elite, veteran SD'er/Noticers here. I reiterate, any supplication from a member who strives to advance through the ranks for amelioration of their SD'er and/or Noticer status, must first be reviewed and ratified by the Committee once all apprenticeship requirements are met.

Thank you and good luck.
Thump - Sr. S/D'er

airbud7
12-17-2015, 10:07 AM
hahaha^ love it!