PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas to Me!

Chicken Dinner
12-16-2015, 05:37 PM
One of the nice things about getting older is giving myself a Christmas present every once in a while. I've been wanting to play in the AR space for a while and, not to be paranoid, figured the time was right. I picked up a very lightly used entry level DPMS at a great price today. (Still has new AR smell!). It's nothing fancy. Just need to slap some sights on it and get to plinking. Best part is private sale.

BarryBobPosthole
12-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Didya have to sneak it in the safe?

Congrats on the new toy! You gonna pimp it all out?

BKB

Chicken Dinner
12-16-2015, 05:47 PM
Ha! It's still in the truck. I'll work on getting into the house later.:laughing

Didya have to sneak it in the safe?

Congrats on the new toy! You gonna pimp it all out?

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
12-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Fishin poles are easier to get in stealth mode!

I'm just sayin'.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
12-16-2015, 05:54 PM
Yeah, but you probably spend more on some of your fishin' poles than I did on this AR.

jb
12-16-2015, 06:01 PM
You'll get hooked real easy, now it time to look for ammo deals.

BarryBobPosthole
12-16-2015, 06:02 PM
I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on a new rig. I just keeping cleaning these old Shimano's up and they just keep on keeping on. I'd love a new one but to be honest, I really must not need one! I also pulled an old Stradic 2000 out of my stash that hasn't been fished in several years, snce I fell in love with everything in the 1000 size.

But since when does one 'need' something before they get it?

I've turned into an old skin flint.

BKB

LJ3
12-17-2015, 10:19 AM
"...I've been wanting to play in the AR space for a while..."

Dude, you've been sitting in too many meetings. The AR space?

Cool gun! Let me know when you're ready for a NOVA good times shooting event. I'll buy ammo!

Captain
12-17-2015, 11:29 AM
DPMS, you got a good one.
We sell a LOAD of those things. Never seen one returned for issues. Did you get the Oracle? And I assume you got the .223 caliber. They do make a 308 model too.

Chicken Dinner
12-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Yep, it's the Oracle. 5.56 Nato or .223 Remington. I'm not interested in having Matt and his buddies drain my wallet by shooting .308 at 30 rounds a magazine. I've got some Magpul sites on the way now and am starting to understand Barry's comment about pimping it out after watching couple of YouTube videos. It's an entry level rifle, but that's fine by me.

Big Skyz
12-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Pretty easy to remove the upper from the lower and sneak it in the house in two separate pieces. ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Larke - Does BPS have a decent "budget" scope you'd throw on this if I had an inclination? It's strictly a plinker and I have no desire to put glass on it that cost as much as the rifle.

Captain
12-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Larke - Does BPS have a decent "budget" scope you'd throw on this if I had an inclination? It's strictly a plinker and I have no desire to put glass on it that cost as much as the rifle.

We sell the crap out of this one. A lot of scope for the money...
We were out yesterday.
http://m.basspro.com/Nikon-P223-AR-Rifle-Scope/product/1202250501007/

Chicken Dinner
12-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Hmmm, that's jus the one I was looking at. I was just noodling over the 3x vs. the 3-9.

Captain
12-17-2015, 02:54 PM
You can shoot some distance with the DPMS, personally if it were me I buy the 3X9....

Chicken Dinner
12-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Are the one piece rings worth the extra (2x) cost over the two piece rings?

Captain
12-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Are the one piece rings worth the extra (2x) cost over the two piece rings?

I don't really know. Maybe Big Sky will step in. I only have one rifle with the one piece rings/base. A 204 Ruger and I bought those one piece DNZ (dead nutz) because of all the talk I heard about them. They are great but I don't shoot it enough to say they are worth the extra cost. I've never really had a problem with the two piece base and rings. And I shoot some magnum calibers!

jb
12-17-2015, 04:49 PM
CD, I went with the one piece scope mount, there are a couple of good ones out there, I went with the Burris PEPR and a Redfield 4-12 AR Scope w/ mil dots.
I have a hang up with the Colt name, so that's what I have.
They are a DIYS guns, so mine got a LH grip, Hoge free floating forearm and some better trigger springs.
You'll find every AR like different ammo, so don't be afraid to try as many different combo's as available. Mine has a 1/9 twist so it likes the heavier bullet weight.
Just for general plinking the cheap stuff works great.

Captain, who you working for now ? Your post "we sell a lot of these" got me thinking, you a greeter a Wall-Mart??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/002_zpsmrov0hgg.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jbmich/003_zpsxt8tdgcz.jpg

Captain
12-17-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm selling guns and doing some gun work for Bass Pro one day a week as a retirement gig. If I live to be a hundred I don't know if I could tell you how much I enjoy it. Get to meet and talk to a lot of good folks.

Thumper
12-17-2015, 04:59 PM
No Walmartians??? ;)

Captain
12-17-2015, 05:09 PM
No Walmartians??? ;)
No, like Posty I'm healed well enough with the full ride retirement I got to not have to put up with the Walmartains. :D I basically do what I do because I've been a state Law-Enforcement firearms instructor and armor for 30 years, love guns, AND for the contact with people.
Been retired over 5 years now and spending the first four years working cattle by myself was very different than being so public for so many years. So as soon as I started talking to the cows I figured it was time to go do something. :D
It is a better than great fit!

LJ3
12-17-2015, 05:13 PM
My BIL has had a low end Nikon scope on his .300 weatherbee for over 20 years and never had to so much as touch it. It's dead on every dang year.

Captain
12-17-2015, 05:16 PM
My BIL has had a low end Nikon scope on his .300 weatherbee for over 20 years and never had to so much as touch it. It's dead on every dang year.

Len, one of the boys at the hunt club has a low end Nikon scope on a 7 Mag and like you say he's never had to touch it. It's right on the money each year.

Trav
12-18-2015, 12:12 AM
I have the Burris PEPR mount on my AR and I like it as far as scopes go I had an old leupold VX II 3x9 laying around so I threw it on my AR. It works pretty well.

Chicken Dinner
12-18-2015, 09:00 AM
Nice lookin' rig there Jerry. No surprise a Marine would have a thing for Colt. I'll take a look at the various recommended mounts. I'm going to have to recover from the Christmas bills before I take a plunge on optics and y'all have given me some good options. I was tearing this thing down last night and it's amazing what a simple piece of machinery it really is. The modular/easy customization if incredible.