PDA

View Full Version : CHP Holders.

Arty
12-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Wonder what the reasons are behind this?

According to the Washington Post, here are the states whose CHPs Virginia will no longer recognize effective February 1:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

The following permits will continue to be recognized: West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

Chicken Dinner
12-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Elections have consequences. It's all part of our Governor and AG's anti RKBA agenda. A poorly drafted reciprocity law that gives the AG the power to do this doesn't help either.

Buckrub
12-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Scratch off that visit.

Thumper
12-22-2015, 12:17 PM
You're shittin' me. WTF?

I "think" our reciprocity law is based on "if YOU allow US to carry in YOUR state, YOU are allowed to carry in OUR state". Duh, that's what reciprocity means. I wonder if you guys are scratched from OUR list now? That's stupid. I guess when I go through VA, I'll have to stop at the state line and hide the heat.

Question: Why West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah?

Arty
12-22-2015, 12:21 PM
We went from one of the best reciprocity states to one of the worst.
Stupidity.

Thumper
12-22-2015, 12:29 PM
And the NRA Headquarters is located where? How does this happen in their own back yard? Were they too busy sending junk mail to notice?

LJ3
12-22-2015, 01:02 PM
NRA is about 5 minutes down the street. They suck ass. Their range is really nice, though :)

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Found this article by the Post on where he says why, apparently because the states they ended reciprocity with had much weaker qualifications for granting the permit. From the sound of what he's saying, if you have a criminal background or have been confined in treatment for mental disorders you can get permits in those other states. Now whether that is true or not has yet to be shown. Anyone know of a matrix that shows the different qualifications for differing states?

On the surface, not recognizing permits held by crazy people or criminals sounds like a reasonable idea. ON THE SURFACE. Sounds very much to me like this is a decision that needs a ton more light and air before we go off half cocked.

BKB
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-attorney-general-mark-herring-delivers-blow-to-gun-rights-advocates/2015/12/21/d72ce3d0-a821-11e5-9b92-dea7cd4b1a4d_story.html

Thumper
12-22-2015, 02:15 PM
What would you expect from the Washington Post?

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2015, 02:16 PM
okay forget it.

BKB

Thumper
12-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Just looked up Florida ... too lazy to look state by state.

Possible Reasons for Ineligibility:

The physical inability to handle a firearm safely.

A felony conviction.

Having adjudication withheld or sentence suspended on a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence unless three years have elapsed since probation or other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled.

A conviction for a misdemeanor crime of violence in the last three years.

A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses.

A record of drug or alcohol abuse.

Two or more DUI convictions within the previous three years.

Being committed to a mental institution or adjudged incompetent or mentally defective.

Failing to provide proof of proficiency with a firearm.

Having been issued a domestic violence injunction or an injunction against repeat violence that is currently in force.

Renouncement of U.S. citizenship.

A dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.

Being a fugitive from justice.

Chicken Dinner
12-22-2015, 04:08 PM
From what I've been reading this is totally political and completely legal. I blame the Republican Party of Virginia. They chose to have a closed caucus of Tea Party activists and the result was a completely unelectable candidate.

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2015, 04:59 PM
There's a link in that article that talks about what the NRA has been doing and it gives a history of the unconventional things the governor has done.
I wonder how the states that they broke their agreement with will respond? They're kind of spitting in their eye. As far as I'm concerned, any CCP from any state should give you confidence that they aren't a bad guy. And if there is a loophole, as the guy says, that people who wouldn't otherwise be granted on in Virginia are just popping across state lines to get one and then actually live in Virginia, then fix that part of the law.

And Thumper, I know you're not a noticer but Arty reference the Post in his frigging original post. So blow it out your ass, monkeyboy.
BKB

DeputyDog
12-22-2015, 05:00 PM
I know Indiana will not issue a permit to someone with any felony conviction, a history of mental illness, or a history of substance abuse.

Thumper
12-22-2015, 05:03 PM
And Thumper, I know you're not a noticer but Arty reference the Post in his frigging original post. So blow it out your ass, monkeyboy.

Huh??? Ya' lost me there. You mean there WAS something there that is not there now?? Not sure what persactly you're talking about Mr. Ivebecomeacrustyoldcurmudgeonsinceretiring! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Its gotta be because of Notre Dame then.

BKB

airbud7
12-22-2015, 05:34 PM
BKB

:banghead I could have busted him out/but logged on late:banghead

One day im gonna be a noticer then maybe/just maybe I can be a SD!...some goals in life are just hard to achieve.

Nandy
12-22-2015, 05:59 PM
monkeyboy.

No idea why but that made me chuckle....

Captain
12-22-2015, 06:27 PM
From the sound of what he's saying, if you have a criminal background or have been confined in treatment for mental disorders you can get permits in those other states. Now whether that is true or not has yet to be shown. Anyone know of a matrix that shows the different qualifications for differing states? On the surface, not recognizing permits held by crazy people or criminals sounds like a reasonable idea. ON THE SURFACE. Sounds very much to me like this is a decision that needs a ton more light and air before we go off half cocked. BKB

No way in NC a person with a conviction or mental problems could get a concealed carry permit.

airbud7
12-22-2015, 06:58 PM
No way in NC a person with a conviction or mental problems could get a concealed carry permit.

Or buy one at walmart./same here cappy....

Thumper
12-22-2015, 07:00 PM
So, does ANYBODY know why West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah are the good guys, and all those other states were kicked to the curb? I really don't get it.

airbud7
12-22-2015, 07:09 PM
I can go to any walmart and buy any gun they got...South Carolina....

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2015, 07:14 PM
So, does ANYBODY know why West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah aqre the good guys, and all those other states were kicked to the curb? I really don't get it.

That's the part that's fishy.

BKb

airbud7
12-22-2015, 07:32 PM
So, does ANYBODY know why West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah aqre the good guys, and all those other states were kicked to the curb? I really don't get it.

aqre^....wtf is that.......

Thumper
12-22-2015, 07:40 PM
aqre^....wtf is that.......

Fat finger hitting the "a" and "q" at the same time.

airbud7
12-22-2015, 07:52 PM
So........I move up now?........gonna be SD one day.

Chicken Dinner
12-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Scroll down here for the 20 things that can disqualify you in VA:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

It's a lot more restrictive than a felony and the AG basically said we won't reciprocate if your law isn't as restrictive as ours.

Thumper
12-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Naaa, not even close Airbud. That actually falls under the very minor noticer category. But you get very few points for typo noticing ... UNLESS it's something humorous or totally changes the meaning of the sentence, for example. Keep practicing ... you'll get there eventually. Just remember, it's not an overnight thing. Watch and learn. Some of us have been here well over 20 years and are STILL working toward our Sr. Noticer or SD'er status. Promotions are hard to come by around this joint. You must also make note of the fact you can gain Sr. Noticer/SD'er status ... and then lose it at the drop of a hat. Some of these dufes just LIVE to bust your ass back down to Jr. Noticer/SD'er. Apprenticeship can be a long-term proposition.

Thumper
12-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Scroll down here for the 20 things that can disqualify you in VA:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

It's a lot more restrictive than a felony and the AG basically said we won't reciprocate if your law isn't as restrictive as ours.

So, who died and made Virginia God?

Thumper
12-22-2015, 08:28 PM
I think it should be made a Federal permit anydamnway. It's silly as hell in our travel based society to have to study the idiosyncrasies of a complicated law that differs in all 50 states. Pass a Federal background check ... meet Federal requirements ... get a Federal CCW.

Where will they draw the line? Ban drivers from states that have less restrictive driver's license requirements and make 'em circumvent the State of Virginia while traveling?

Captain
12-22-2015, 08:38 PM
I have national CCW... :D

https://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf

Thumper
12-22-2015, 08:52 PM
FUZZ!! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2015, 08:59 PM
I think I'd rather keep the definition of who's eligible to the states except in LE cases.

And I've heard no complaints here frm anybody about our rules being too restrictive.

BKB

Captain
12-22-2015, 09:15 PM
The move means that Virginians will no longer be able to use their concealed handgun permits in six states that require a mutual reciprocity agreement: Florida, Louisiana, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Wyoming.

John Whitbeck, chairman of the Virginia Republican Party, said Herring's announcement was further proof that Democrats have "declared war on the Second Amendment."

Chicken Dinner
12-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Our Governor is former DNC Chairman, notorious Clinton bag man and carpetbagger, Terry McAuliffe. Since any part of his anti gun agenda is DOA in the legislature, he's vowed to do anything he can by executive action. In addition to his latest stunt, he recently banned guns (even with a CHP) from all state offices by executive order. The only up side to his who'll loll thing is that state law prohibits a governor from serving consecutive terms.

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2015, 11:16 PM
So only one term at a time. Not a bad idea.

BKB

DeputyDog
12-23-2015, 10:41 AM
I have national CCW... :D

https://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf

Cappy, I was thinking the same thing.