PDA

View Full Version : Hey you pepper people.

Captain
12-22-2015, 10:06 PM
I need to make me a jar of vinegar for greens and peas. My mom use to make it but cannot remember how to do it.
Seems like she would put vinegar, salt, sugar, and make a slow boil and then pour it over peppers and seal in a jar. We always kept a old fashion vinegar jar with the little glass stopper on the table all the time. (Kribbs you need to find me one of these)
I DON'T want really hot peppers just a good flavor for greens.
Just wondering if any of you dufes know how to make it?

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2015, 10:27 PM
We always had the same knd of pepper sauce at home. And you make it pretty much like you described. I wouldn't put sugar in it though. Too much and it'll ferment.

BKB

Captain
12-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Hot pepper likker... Hum, never thought of pepper shine.

BarryBobPosthole
12-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Hahahaha you got it on the brain. Most local greasy spoon cafe's will have a bottle of that pepper sauce on the table.

BKB

Big Muddy
12-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Yep, you pretty much already got the recipe, Cap....and, there's nothing more attractive than a country kitchen table, graced with a Jack Daniel's fifth bottle, full of your favorite pepper sauce. ;)
'Course, if you wanna look snooty and uppity, a Crown Royal bottle works, too. ;)

Chicken Dinner
12-22-2015, 11:11 PM
My Grandma always had the same thing in her table for greens. I'm pretty sure it was straight vinegar thing as she wasn't one for peppers. Man, she could cook just about any kind of greens though. Even the "winter greens" my Pop would pull over and pick from the side of the road.

Thumper
12-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Yep, I see those bottles all the time. Like P-hole said, most every greasy-spoon has one on the table also. I know persactly what you're talking about as far as the pepper sauce goes, but I have no clue what the recipe would be.

Arty
12-22-2015, 11:15 PM
That's essentially "hot bath" canning peppers ain't it? Vinegar and salt. Boil. Get jars hot as well (boil in water without the lids). Pour over peppers. Put lid on jar. When it cools the jar lid will seal itself.

Will take a little while for the vinegar to take on the pepper flavor.
Don't know how much salt. A Google search will prolly tell ya.

Thumper
12-22-2015, 11:27 PM
Cappy, you can also just soak the label off and use an old Tobasco or maybe a Worcestershire sauce bottle. Just pry the little plastic stopper thingy off, add the peppers/vinegar, then pop the little cap thingy back on.

http://www.chowstatic.com/uploads/9/9/5/1366599_img_2418.jpg

You can buy the stuff also.

http://cdn03.kitchenandcompany.com/_resources/_global/media/resized/00817/ihwx.564c18ae-886d-4605-a943-23b2af7e4513.500.500.jpg

Captain
12-22-2015, 11:52 PM
I got one of the little vinegar table jars but would like to have another for the SC house. I'll find one around somewhere.
Gonna search the net and see what I can find on how to make it.
Thanks

Buckrub
12-23-2015, 11:14 AM
https://ourdailybrine.com/southern-pepper-sauce-recipe/

Pretty simple. No tomatoes, and you don't have to wear shorts to do it, and you don't even have to fire up the stove or oven. You are IN LIKE FLINT man.

Captain
12-23-2015, 12:38 PM
That's what I needed. Instructions. Thanks
It would appear it be something I can do.

Buckrub
12-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Shame you ain't got to weld to make it.......you'd be Pepper King!