PDA

View Full Version : "Muslim Americans"

Buckrub
12-23-2015, 05:31 PM
I heard Hillary say on TV, several times, something about "Muslim Americans" the other day.

I did a double take.

Now, I don't agree with African-Americans, or Mexican-Americans, but at least I understand the meaning. It means Americans that originated somewhere else. Again, I don't like it, but I do know what it means.

But "Muslim American"??

Arabian-American maybe. Pakistani-American, maybe. But not "Muslim American"!!!

If that's proper use of language, we might as well say "Presbyterian Americans", or "Methodist Americans" or "Hindu Americans" or "Atheist Americans" or..........well, you get the picture.

Next, we'd have to be saying "Red Headed Americans" and "Tall Americans"..........and use that EVERY TIME a person in that group was identified.

Just stupid, and a true misunderstanding of the English Language........and done so to obfuscate those who listen to her. But......I bet it's picked up and used often before long, if not already.

Sigh.

Thumper
12-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Curmudgeon. ;)

Thumper
12-23-2015, 06:51 PM
I guess I'm German/Dutch-American, was at one time married to a Thai-American and now live with a Japanese-American. It sure would be simpler if we were all simply called American's. ;)

Buckrub
12-23-2015, 07:00 PM
It would be even simpler if you understood my point.

:)

I'm a Scottish American. But I'm not a "Christian American", that's an invalid designation. There are American Christians, but no 'Christian Americans'. Neither are there 'Muslim Americans'.

My comment was about grammar and usage, not PC b/s.

Thumper
12-23-2015, 07:10 PM
I got your point ... loud and clear ... and I agree, it's stupid and improper. I was just adding my displeasure with the whole hyphenated-American thing in the first place.

Buckrub
12-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Oh, well then I agree with your retorted assessment thereof.