PDA

View Full Version : Well, why didn't I think of this?

Thumper
12-25-2015, 09:49 AM
You know, I ALWAYS have tie-down straps in the storage compartment of my truck and I've been in a situation just recently where this would have probably worked. I was at an estate sale and about 50 cars/trucks got stuck in a big grassy field. It had rained the night before, but the field appeared to be hard-packed dirt and completely covered with grass. The odd part was, there was no problem driving into the area, but once your vehicle sat there for a little while, the ground turned into slime! Even with a bunch of guys pushing, we couldn't get any of the vehicles to move enough to get any momentum (including a couple 4WD trucks). Finally a guy showed up in a large diesel F-350 and we stopped him from entering the field. I m tow-strap tow strap and between about 3-4 of us with straps, we managed to fabricate one long enough to reach the vehicles without the truck having to get into the soft stuff. (he was still on the long gravel driveway leading to the house). With a bunch of effort and a few of us getting extremely muddy, we managed to get everyone out of the field.

BUT ... that said, I had ALL of these materials available to me. Since I always carry tie-downs and the house had a shed with all sorts of scrap lumber stacked next to it. it would have been kinda cool to try this little trick.

<iframe width="728" height="418" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Y_wtN-5EE4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Muddy
12-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Thump, not trying to steal your thunder, but us rednecks have been using that little trick for years. ;)

Thumper
12-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Ha! I guess I'm not a redneck. :)

I'd usually use brush, logs, boards or whatever I had available and have always gotten out one way or another, but I'd never seen this.

Captain
12-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Back before we had 4 wheel drive tractors that was the method we used to get tractors out MANY time when they got stuck. But you had to be careful cause it will also flip a tractor using that method.

BarryBobPosthole
12-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Country boy can survive.

BKB