PDA

View Full Version : Cap, the ducks are here.....

Big Muddy
12-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Even this warm weather has deterred them....as you know, the drought didn't allow any of my duck food to germinate....but, I went ahead and flooded up all my duck holes, anyway....to be honest, we got more mallards, coming into the food-less holes than ever before....I can only assume that these are ducks, which were imprinted from previous years, because there is dang sure no food there to attract them.

There is about a 100 greenheads in this group, but I couldn't get all of them in the pic.

Captain
12-26-2015, 04:54 PM
The only thing that picture needs is me there with you blasting at em'
Which by the way I need your opinion on.
I'm in need of a new duck gun. I've always leaned on the Benelli's pretty hard for this duty, because of the inertia recoil system. But I'm leaning HEAVY towards the Remington Versa-Max. They have the new gas port system that reduces recoil to that of a 20 gauge with 3.5 inch shells.
I like that I could use the shotgun for everything from doves, Turkey and ducks.
Have you looked at that new system? The cost is around the 1,500 dollar mark so it and the Benelli's are about the same cost.

Trav
12-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Well you didn't ask me Cappy but I have had several 12 gauges That shoot 3.5's. I am shooting a new Browning Maxus stalker right now and really like it. It's much lighter than my Beretta 391 extrema. I would say it's pretty close in weight to the Benelli SBE.

Captain
12-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Thanks Trav. That's what I'm looking at either the Benelli Super Black Eagle II or the Remington Versa-Max Waterfouler.

Thumper
12-26-2015, 05:43 PM
That's what I'm looking at ....... the Remington Versa-Max Waterfouler.

The EPA's gonna get'cha for fouling that water! ;)

quercus alba
12-26-2015, 08:31 PM
A few years ago Cap didn't duck hunt at all and we warned him not to start, if he ever starts fly fishing he'll have to hire somebody to help him take care of his homework

Captain
12-26-2015, 09:09 PM
I know.... I've duck hunted very little in my life until a few years ago. But it is kinda addicting.

BarryBobPosthole
12-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Best duck gun/boat oar/barb wire fence stretcher/walking stick there is, is a Remmy 870. You could buy a lot of expensive steel shells for what you'd pay for one of those Fancy Dan shotguns.

BKB

Big Muddy
12-27-2015, 12:23 AM
Best duck gun/boat oar/barb wire fence stretcher/walking stick there is, is a Remmy 870. You could buy a lot of expensive steel shells for what you'd pay for one of those Fancy Dan shotguns.

BKB

Postie, I could NOT agree more with you....I don't believe there has ever been a tougher, more reliable shotgun ever built....I own two, in a 12 ga. and 20 ga....neither has ever jammed or failed to fire....and, I just bought a 12 ga. for my grandson for Christmas.

I've killed running rabbits at 80 yards, using 3" shells and a full choke with the 12 ga.

Captain
12-27-2015, 12:30 AM
Eddie and Posthole, I've got several Remington 870 pumps. All in 12 ga. I had a 20 gauge 870 NWTF I won and my son shot his first turkey with but have since sold it. During my 30 plus years in Law Enforcement that's all we used was the 870. I'm a factory trained 870 armor also. They are rock solid and a great gun. I can pick up a 3.5 mag at work for about 300 bucks. But I was REALLY wanting to give that Versa-Max a spin. I like that new gas system and the very comfortable recoil. I was just wondering if you or anyone you hunt with had used them.

Big Muddy
12-27-2015, 12:56 AM
Cap, my son has been "looking" at a purchase of the Versa Max....he says it's the cat's azz, but just can't pull the money switch, right now.

BarryBobPosthole
12-27-2015, 10:32 AM
When I thnk of the ones that shoot the 3 1/2 in shells I think of them more as a turkey gun than a duck gun. But its still pretty dang cool!
And one of my bitches about the 1100s is those gas ports clog up easy and the damn things jam on you right when you don't want them to, which is the reason I like pump guns for rainy, muddy, icy, days huntng ducks. I imagine they've fixed that by now though!

BKB

Big Muddy
12-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Agreed, Postie....and, I'll never own another auto gun....I'm too lazy to keep an auto clean, and when I go hunting, I don't want the doubt of it firing, in my mind....I've only sold two of my guns from my vault, in all these years....a Belgium Browning BAR in .270 and a Rem. 1100 in 20 ga....both were notorious for hanging up, unless they were spotlessly clean, and I just hate that sheeit.
If an 870 gets dropped in the mud, I can just soak it in a ditch for a few minutes, and just keep right on hunting. ;)

Thumper
12-27-2015, 12:30 PM
I agree totally. I had an 1100 that after a while started jamming at the most inopportune times. It finally got to the point it wouldn't even shoot low brass without jamming and I sold it. I'm with Muddy, I shoot 'em, and wipe 'em down with gun oil when I put 'em away. I DO NOT get involved with detailed cleaning. Once I switched over to 870's, I never looked back. I'm talking WORK guns ... I had some "purty" ones in the safe, but they were just to look at and fondle. ;)

DeputyDog
12-27-2015, 01:17 PM
I have a Remington 11-87 Premier that I use on ducks and geese. Never had any issues with it and have shot boxes of shells through it during the season without cleaning it.

Had to get some work done on it when it was new because there was a burr inside the chamber that would catch the shell and not let it eject. Had a gunsmith friend of mine smooth it out and ever since it eats anything I've put through it.

I've looked at the Versamax but the price has kept me from buying one since I've got one that works fine already.