PDA

View Full Version : Heaven?

LJ3
01-03-2016, 10:56 AM
We've lost people from GH. We've each lost family members and close friends, friends and acquaintances over the last year or so. I suppose some of it comes from aging, prevalence of cancer these days and lord knows what else.

It has me thinking quite a bit about what happens when our bodies finally fall silent. Recent experience with my father in laws journey have me convinced that things don't just stop when you're body does. Obviously we can't know what may or may not take place when our bodies expire but it certainly is a curious thing to genuinely consider rather than just repeat what we've been told along the way.

My point? I don't really have one I guess. Just curious what the rest of my friends here may think about it all.

BarryBobPosthole
01-03-2016, 11:10 AM
I'll take the answer off the air, thank you.

BKB

jb
01-03-2016, 11:14 AM
LJ, as I get older your question does become more relevant, at least to me.
To make it simple, without getting into a Thump reply, I believe there is life after death.
I don't know exactly what, but there are just to many instances of people having out of body experiences to flatly deny that it does not exist.
I'm a Christian, not as good as I should be, but never the less it's what I believe.
The bible says "In my Fathers house there are many rooms", so is the status of heaven which room you go to?
Are the rooms other places in the Universe that you get recycled to, to try life again to make you a better person.
Am I where I am now, having been bless with a very good life, good health, great family in some part of that heaven already ?
I guess the only way we're going to find out is to die, and to do it leaving behind all your family and friends believing you're going to a better place.

quercus alba
01-03-2016, 06:19 PM
J. Warner Wallace is a former homicide detective who wrote a book called "Cold Case Christianity". He used his investigative skills to look at parts of the bible. It's an interesting read that might cause more questions than it answers but it's an objective look using logically deduced facts based on evidence.

Like I said, an interesting read

Chicken Dinner
01-03-2016, 06:25 PM
Too deep for me today, Bro.

Arty
01-03-2016, 06:28 PM
I believe there is a heaven and that everyone has a chance to go there. I also believe there is a hell, and one or the other is where everyone is going when they draw their final breath.

I could explain and go into a long post about why, but I will not. If interested, text me!

johnboy
01-03-2016, 07:46 PM
I simply don't know what happens to 'us' when our body dies. Logic (and I've always striven to be a logical man) tells me that when the body dies then all parts of it die, including the brain where our 'self' resides. Is there a part of us that is not corporeal? A soul or spirit or ghost, if you will? Don't know and will never know until that moment and I'm not in a hurry to find out.

Faith tells many people of many religions that there is an afterlife but I'm not a person of faith (that logic thing again) but I certainly keep an open mind about these kind of things. I guess that if it gives you some sense of peace to think of your loved ones being somewhere nice after death then good enough.

I found out New Years eve that my oldest friend (knew him from 8th grade) died and I sure hope he is fishing up a storm somewhere right now.

airbud7
01-03-2016, 08:05 PM
awe heck fellers..........we all gonna fish with niner.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GPGL8JwFso

gonna be fun!..........

LJ3
01-03-2016, 09:50 PM
I'm not lookin' to get all philosophical and what not. We could shorten responses. You can say either (a) It's over or (2) It ain't over.

I'm a 2.

quercus alba
01-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Be easier if it was A.

But it ain't

airbud7
01-03-2016, 10:28 PM
I'm not lookin' to get all philosophical and what not. We could shorten responses. You can say either (a) It's over or (2) It ain't over.

I'm a 2.

Wish I could help you with that one^...............Cant though....

I might say something you want/like to hear, but is it true?

BarryBobPosthole
01-04-2016, 09:07 AM
I'm a three, as in I don't know. While I don't think that the things we see in our universe just HAD to be intelligently designed (because they're so friggin wonderful) as a valid reason for believing, I have for a long time wondered if there is some sort of basic level of connection with our universe that explains really what all the religions (or most of them) are metaphorically talking about. They almost HAVE to be a metaphor otherwise they'd make no logical sense.

It MAY be that we are making progress in understanding at least part of it. Read up on the Planck Scale some time when you have a few hours you don't mind never getting back. Its actually kind of interesting.

I tend to think along the lines of a Universal Mind that we are in fact a part of, think fabric of consciousness, instead of us being solitary units of consciousness. How lse do we explain prayer, which I think at times works for whatever reason?

Anyway, thats more than I wanted to volunteer on the subject.

BKB

http://www.metanexus.net/essay/morality-planck-scale-chat-stuart-hameroff

LJ3
01-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Wish I could help you with that one^...............Cant though....

I might say something you want/like to hear, but is it true?

I'm not looking for anyone to shore up what I think. Hell I'm not even convinced I believe what I believe :)

Buckrub
01-04-2016, 08:05 PM
No one here has any interest in my opinion on this matter.

Nandy
01-04-2016, 08:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSdXtFJG20

quercus alba
01-04-2016, 08:38 PM
No one one is a pretty broad statement. Mostly the heathen contingency ��

Buckrub
01-04-2016, 08:44 PM
My goodest buddy, I doubt even YOU (and you know why I say this) would agree with my views. If so, you'd be the first.

Captain
01-04-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm a frisbeeterian, I believe when you die there is a chance your soul could be hung up on a rooftop somewhere...

Arty
01-04-2016, 09:10 PM
My goodest buddy, I doubt even YOU (and you know why I say this) would agree with my views. If so, you'd be the first. bet i'd agree. Or realllllly close

Buckrub
01-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Start driving.........cause they won't be typed out in this venue! Sorry.

Arty
01-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Start driving.........cause they won't be typed out in this venue! Sorry. I didn't say I wanted to hear it. :) :) :)

Buckrub
01-04-2016, 09:17 PM
What?

What what?

LJ3
01-05-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm starting to think I shoulda done a poll like BBP did. That way I'd get the high level opinions I was after and as long as I didn't have an option for "really long ass story about Jimmy's uncle who was a preached and horrible person and how that affected my personal religious beliefs" we'd be all set :)

Bwana
01-05-2016, 01:00 PM
It ain't over.

quercus alba
01-05-2016, 01:07 PM
I understand the question to be "do you believe in life after death"? Not why or why not.

I'm a believer myself.

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2016, 01:24 PM
I understand the question to be "do you believe in life after death"? Not why or why not.

I'm a believer myself.

Well, thank you for making it more simple. Not!

But to answer in those terms, the act of dying means we cease to live. So my answer would be no, I don't think we continue to live after we die because by definition that wouldn't be dying. But I don't think either that because we die, that we cease to exist. I believe we simply exist in another form. But it ain't life, not as we define it.

BKB

Thumper
01-05-2016, 01:46 PM
The point is ... NOBODY knows. People are free to "believe" anything they want ... right or wrong. I have no problem with that. But when they insist that they DO know and look down on others that don't share their BELIEF, it tends to rankle me a bit.

Some people believe the gates of heaven are pearls and the streets are paved with gold, some believe you return as another being and some even think you get to heaven and have 72 virgins waiting for you. I find the last one intriguing, but I personally write it off as bullshit, so I guess I'll never know. (I wonder if female suicide bombers have 72 virgin boys waiting?) Then again, ALL those scenarios kinda sound like bullshit to me, so I guess I'll have to wait for one that I can think through with reason. I guess I should have simply cut & paste Johnboy's response.