PDA

View Full Version : Sufix Performance Braid vs 832?

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2016, 02:56 PM
I just bought a spool of Sufix Performance braid to respool one of my spincast reels that I've been running 832 Sufix on for the last four (possibly five?) years. A couple years ago I swapped ends and it was like new but the last few times out, the wind knots are just getting to frequent. Its tough line and I've treated it pretty rough, and its never broke off at the braid, but always on the shock leader, which is what its there for. To be honest I picked this Performance stuff totally up by accident, thought I was buying 832. So its gonna get a whirl! About a four year one probably lol!

Anybody tried this stuff? What's the diff? I'm using the 30lb test/8 lb mono diameter stuff btw.

BKb

HideHunter
01-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Can't help you with the line - but - I didn't know there was anyone left in the world (over the age of 7) still using spincast reels.. interesting.

Chicken Dinner
01-05-2016, 03:07 PM
I got nothing. I take it from your post that there's more to this fishing line thing now than just Stren v. Trieline.:headbang

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Can't help you with the line - but - I didn't know there was anyone left in the world (over the age of 7) still using spincast reels.. interesting.

Oh smartest of asses I bow to your loquaciousness.

Spinning reels then. The kind you don't cast, you just spin.

BkB

quercus alba
01-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Question. I ordinarily use the regular old Berkeley line on my spinning reels. Is the braided line better or worse than monofilament about tangling? I can usually achieve a bird nest of biblical proportions at least one a trip.

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Yes and no. If you're comparing new mono or flouro to braid, problems with wind knots and loops in the spool are about even. I run one rigged with flouro and one rigged with braid. They're identical rods and reels. Now when the flouro has been on the spool a while and starts getting a memory, that's where the braid outshines it.
That's just my experience with it anyways. One thing for sure, you get a knot in braid, its gonna make you work at it to get it out.
BKB

HideHunter
01-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Oh smartest of asses I bow to your loquaciousness.

Spinning reels then. The kind you don't cast, you just spin.

BkB

Did I gain "noticer" status? ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2016, 04:31 PM
Did I gain "noticer" status? ;)

You get a double merit badge for that, Shit Disturbing and Noticing in one fell swoop!

BkB

Big Skyz
01-05-2016, 04:34 PM
BBP, I don't know the answer to your original question, but I'd sure like to know as I was considering those exact same two lines for a couple of my heavier duty spincast outfits. So if you get a "real" answer at some other site would you please post it here or send me an email as I'd really like to know. My intent for either line is for trophy sized fish that I don't want the line breaking to be a factor in losing them. If things work out how I'm hoping they will, I should be posting some mind blowing huge trout by next fall.

HideHunter
01-05-2016, 04:35 PM
I was considering those exact same two lines for a couple of my heavier duty spincast outfits. .

uhhhh, never mind. I'm good. ;)

LJ3
01-05-2016, 05:55 PM
BBP, I don't know the answer to your original question, but I'd sure like to know as I was considering those exact same two lines for a couple of my heavier duty spincast outfits. So if you get a "real" answer at some other site would you please post it here or send me an email as I'd really like to know. My intent for either line is for trophy sized fish that I don't want the line breaking to be a factor in losing them. If things work out how I'm hoping they will, I should be posting some mind blowing huge trout by next fall.

Sky, if that is your requirement. Get powerpro 10lb braid and never look back. It's almost like cheating. Casts like 4lb mono and is like a steel cable. I was dubious for one season and now have it on all six of my active spinning rigs. Even my "ultra-light".

How's THAT for a real answer?!?!?! Whaaaaat?!?!?! :)

Big Skyz
01-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Len, that's better, but these guys are breaking them off with 20 lbs Fireline. These are seriously big trout. State record came from the area and it was over 30 lbs. I've used some PowerPro and I'm not sure it's quite as good as Suffix.

BarryBobPosthole
01-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Sky, are you guys using any kind of leader or are you tying direct?

BKB

Big Skyz
01-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Direct.

BarryBobPosthole
01-06-2016, 12:06 AM
I know it sounds counterintuitive, but if you'll put just an 8 or 10 pound piece of flouro on the end of it you won't give up all that much in breakoffs but you'll wear their asses out faster. If you're talking 30 pound fish, you need to scale that up a ways to maybe 14-16 poind test, but I'd definitely give it a try. It makes a huge difference, at least to me it does.
That said, I've not fished for trout that big so maybe there's other reasons you don't use a shock leader.
BKB

HideHunter
01-06-2016, 11:21 AM
I can't understand why anyone would "break off" many fish.. (unless you really are using spincasts which have notoriously poor drags).. Set the drag boys..

LJ3
01-06-2016, 11:40 AM
I thought flouro had was less stretch than mono shock leaders?

HH, My shimano stradic drags are very smooth and effective thankyouverymuchkindsir.

HideHunter
01-06-2016, 12:01 PM
I thought flouro had was less stretch than mono shock leaders?

HH, My shimano stradic drags are very smooth and effective thankyouverymuchkindsir.

So are mine.. and they *aren't* spincasts - thank you very much... duh.. "Captain Obvious". ;)

LJ3
01-06-2016, 12:21 PM
So are mine.. and they *aren't* spincasts - thank you very much... duh.. "Captain Obvious". ;)

Well shit... I guess my application for Jr. Noticer just went in the crapper.

Captain
01-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Spin cast reel
Spinning or Open Face reel

Big Skyz
01-06-2016, 01:21 PM
HideHunter doesn't always fish, but when he does he goes prepared for anything. Here's a photo of his essentials kit that he sent me. ;)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2787173639_86c6cb509b.jpg

Thumper
01-06-2016, 01:23 PM
So, it really IS a spin cast! ;)

HideHunter
01-06-2016, 03:33 PM
lol.. Love it! I keep two spincasts around here - one is a 50 year-old Johnson Century that works like a champ - the other, a 20 something Zebco 33. I start the kids with them, but by the time my grandkids are 10 I start them on spinning tackle.

Now that said, spinning reels were largely unheard of and unaffordable when I was a kid. If you had all the fish I caught on a Bronson Dart (spincast)- well, you'd have a big pile. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-06-2016, 04:23 PM
I have an old Zeb 33 I'm starting my grandson on.

BKB

DeputyDog
01-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Man, I grew up using a Johnson Century. Caught hundreds of bluegills with one on a pole rigged with a chartreuse ice fishing hook and a slip bobber.

Thumper
01-07-2016, 12:31 PM
My dad and I gave my grandfather a Johnson Century for his birthday back when I was sumpin' like 9 or 10 years old. After he passed away (in 1964), my grandmother gave it back to me. I sent it to Cappy a while back to clean it up and try to catch sumpin' with it. ;)

I still have pics of it.

LJ3
01-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Dufus. If you wanted someone to catch fish with it you should sent it up here.

Thumper
01-07-2016, 06:41 PM
He says it's cleaned, lubed and ready to go. See if he'll send it to you as a mate for that hog-leg! ;)

It's nice to see something these days that says, "Made in U.S.A." on it. Ya' don't see much of that anymore.