PDA

View Full Version : Success story ...

Thumper
01-06-2016, 11:31 AM
You've heard me mention my buddy ... "my" Toyota mechanic. I have so much faith in him, he's the ONLY one who ever services my vehicles. I've known him for many years, helped him work on obtaining citizenship, watched his kids grow up, shared a pot of blood soup with his father (before his death) ... anyway we're very close friends. He's worked at Toyota for something like 25 years now and is one of the best mechanics I know. His dream has always been to own his own shop.

He was a refugee from Laos after we pulled out of ... well, I forgot, "we" weren't in Laos (Ha!) ... but, put it this way, he fled the Pathet Lao with his parents when the U.S. pulled out of S.E. Asia in the 70's and they ended up in Los Angeles, so we have a bit of a connection. During some of my recent trips to Laos, I've tracked down family members for him and brought back photos ... even left money for them. He's personally afraid to return for a visit as there's a chance they would retain him (long story, but his dad was on "our" side), so I was a go-between during a few trips. But that's not the subject of this post.

He's a refugee who made something of himself. One of his proudest moments is when his son entered the U.S. Marine Corps.

He recently reached another milestone and opened his own auto repair shop ... his life-long dream. Man, I'm as proud of him as if he were my own son! I wish him all the luck in the world, although it sucks that I'll have to break in another mechanic at the Toyota dealer to service my vehicles now. :(

Here are a few pics:

His new shop and his Tacoma. (a wild turkey even meandered in to check the place out!)

Here's my buddy and his shop! Cool, a far cry from the days of the Laotian Civil War.

Congrats buddy! Owning your own business is quite a challenge and I wish you the best of luck. You own your own home, a very large piece of property and now own your own business. Welcome to the American dream! :thumbsup

Bwana
01-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Way cool and just goes to show what hard work can do for a person.

P.S. - Check you PM's. :)

Chicken Dinner
01-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Good deal. My old-man spent two years working with the Lao, Cambodian and Vietnamese refugees both here (Ft. Smith, AR) and on the ground in Malaysia. He was able to personally help out a ton of our friends from when we lived there and takes a lot of pride in how their families are doing here in the US.

Captain
01-06-2016, 12:49 PM
That's good stuff Thumper

airbud7
01-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Yep^...good stuff Thumper :thumbsup

Thumper
01-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Way cool and just goes to show what hard work can do for a person.

P.S. - Check you PM's. :)

Answered Bwana. I was feeling like crap yesterday and forgot to answer this morning. Thanks for the reminder.

Thumper
01-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Yep, he also loves to hunt and fish. In fact, after my health took a nosedive, he bought my old Honda 4-wheeler as well as my 14' aluminum deep-V fishing yacht. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
01-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Nice story!

BKB

LJ3
01-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Cool story!

The front plate on the Mustang is for the superior fighting force of the world, the US Army... Not the USMC. I'll get my noticer badge back one way or t'other!

Arty
01-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Very cool. Accomplished a great deal for sure.
No one told him he could just suck off the govt teet?

Guess he missed the memo! Good thing he did!

Thumper
01-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Cool story!

The front plate on the Mustang is for the superior fighting force of the world, the US Army... Not the USMC. I'll get my noticer badge back one way or t'other!

Ha! Saw that Lenster. I believe that's a customer's car. No noticer points for that one.

Thumper
01-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Very cool. Accomplished a great deal for sure.
No one told him he could just suck off the govt teet?

Guess he missed the memo! Good thing he did!

So true Arty. He didn't speak a word of English when he got here (he was a very young kid) and faced a lot of discrimination while growing up and attending public schools, but he shook it off and made something of himself. Growing up in the inner city of Los Angeles, it could easily have gone the other way.