PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully, no more funerals for a while....

Big Muddy
01-06-2016, 05:41 PM
We just finished putting #6 in the ground this afternoon, in less than two weeks....that is quite enough for a while around here.

I did not know this about my buddy, Jimbo, but his cousin found out that Jimbo dragged out two dead doe deer all by himself up in the hills, the afternoon before his fatal heart attack....of course, that may or may not have brought on his heart attack, but Jimbo was a pretty heavy guy, and lead a relatively sedate lifestyle.

I'm passing this along to you guys (including myself) who are getting older, and possibly may be somewhat out of shape....if you don't have an ATV with a long winch cable, or your dead deer is off the main trail, then don't be too proud to go get someone to help you do the dragging.

Actually, this goes for anything that requires any type of strenuous physical activity....and, I'm as guilty as anyone of trying to do too much by myself.

Thump, this does not include your copulating....nobody expects you to get any help for that!!! ;););)

Buckrub
01-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Good points.

When I 'woke up' from my heart attack and stent procedure, the doc said "You made it. I assume you have questions".

I asked him what my restrictions would be. He said "Well, you cannot Elk hunt. You cannot run a Marathon. You can do everything else you ever did. BUT THERE IS ONE CHANGE YOU MUST MAKE. Men 'push through' to accomplish a task. You have lost 35% of your heart function, and you can no longer do that. You MUST stop and rest before finishing".

That was hard to learn. But it was required, and I learned it. It ticks off folks I'm working with, when doing deer stand work, or cutting firewood, but I do all that, best I can, and then stop for a few. I can actually feel it kick in, and out, and back in.........being able to finish.

That next fall, I went to hunt with Cappy. Great time, I will never forget it. I could live there! BUT, at that time I still couldn't walk far. I had not gotten back into any kind of shape. I know it frustrated him and I was easy to make fun of, but I did what I could. Now, I expect I can walk to the stand, Cappy!!! :)

And remember, mine was the "Widowmaker"........the Left Anterior Descending Myocardial Infarction!! L.A.D. is death to 96.7% of everyone who has it. Luck is my middle name.

I know many folks who had a heart attack. They are often told "You've actually had more than this one.......you had 'little' ones lately that didn't do you in". I say all this to make you aware that it's possible that you are having heart issues and not really know it. Worse, heart disease is the one disease that there's no way to know if your avoidance efforts (exercise, diet, medicine) are doing any good or not!! At least, not without a heart cath!

So, please do what you can..........everyone has to enjoy life, including me. But I've had 14 years and 7 months of free time. You might not get that much.

Bwana
01-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Good advice from both of you gents.

Just curious, and I should probably know this but, how old were you when you had your heart attack Bucky?

Thumper
01-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Just curious, and I should probably know this but, how old were you when you had your heart attack Bucky?

Well, he's older than dirt now, so I'd estimate he was about as old as rocks. ;)

LJ3
01-07-2016, 04:43 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and guess he was 56. Maybe.

Buckrub
01-07-2016, 05:17 PM

July 17, 2004.

Chicken Dinner
01-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Dang, 56 sure sounded a lot older to me 14 years ago...

jb
01-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Always worried about heart issues, father died at 47.
For the past 2 years have been living with Afib, Doc say's my plumbing is very good, it's an electrical problem.
He tells me the cure sometimes is worse than the problem so he's not recommending a heart cath at this time.
I'm old, over weight and a couch potato, and should get on some kind of exercise routine, but it's always tomorrow.
So, don't do as I do, do as I say.