PDA

View Full Version : Heart Attack Coyote

Big Skyz
01-07-2016, 12:12 PM
While you guys discuss football, how women think, politics, and mortality, I've been busy trying to turn mortal coyotes into dead coyotes. However, this one about did me in. I made a long'ish shot on him at close to 400 yards. The trouble was he was in the bottom of a literal Hell-hole. As the crow flies he was nearly 400 yards, but on foot was a whole nuther deal. It was super steep, icy (read slippery), and just plain miserable reaching the coyote...and that was just the hike in. He died at the lowest point of the canyon he could find, and I was at the very top of the canyon when I shot him. It was a loooong way to the bottom! The hike out cannot be accurately described, and would have to experienced to know just how difficult it was. I literally would throw the coyote ahead of me a few feet, then grab a sage brush or some other small bush and pull myself up the hill to the coyote, then repeat over and over. For the next two days my arms were actually sore from all the pulling and throwing. The first 100 were as tough as any hike I've ever been on, and worse than anything I experienced in military basic training. The snow was about a foot deep, but underneath it was clay based mud that was frozen solid. Just FYI frozen mud is just dirty ice and extremely slippery. I huffed, puffed, wheezed, slipped, fell, cussed, pert near had a heart attack the entire first 100 yards. Then I finally found a faint game trail that wasn't quite as slippery as the rest of the terrain, though it was still plenty slick. It took me close to an hour to ascend my way back to the top. My partner said he was awful glad to see me pop back up on the ridge as he was seriously starting to wonder if I had indeed had a heart attack. Trust me, all the way out I was wondering if I was going to have one as well. It was -8 below zero and by the time I reached the top I think my personal body temperature was well over 100. I was on fire and sweating like crazy. I had to take my hat off as my head was burning up. My partner started to laugh when he saw the back of my head. Apparently despite being hot and sweating, the part of my hair that was exposed on the back of my head, had frozen into a white mass of hair, frost, and ice. He said there was a very distinct line where my hat was and where it wasn't. I wish I would have had him take a photo of it. Anyway, this is one of the smallest coyotes I've killed this year. Probably one of the least pretty as well, but the hardest earned one in a while. I'm just glad I'm still here to tell the story. Methinks I need to seriously drop at least 30 lbs as I felt every last ounce coming back up out of that Hell hole.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Troy%20Coyote%201-2-16C_zpsogapoinh.jpg

LJ3
01-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Damn dude!

Very nice image though :)

Question: Why didn't you leave his ass where he dropped and let nature have him back?

Thumper
01-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Wow! Beautiful pic with that clear, blue sky as a background. Personally, I think I'd have taken pics at the bottom of the canyon, then left him as buzzard bait.

Thumper
01-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Great minds think alike. :)

Big Skyz
01-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Several reason's. One, I wanted to finish what I'd started. Two, he's worth a few bucks. Third being on the FoxPro Field Staff it's important to get as many in the field success photos as possible. FoxPro treats me well so I feel like it's only fair that I promote their callers as much as possible. It's a great company to represent. Last, reason I just need to do crazy stuff like this now and then just to make sure I can still do it. This life over 50 business isn't all that much fun sometimes.

Thumper
01-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Wait'll you see what life over 60 brings! At least I still have my boyish good looks! ;)

Big Skyz
01-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Thump, that's provided I live to see life over 60...

LJ3
01-07-2016, 12:39 PM
"Just because" is an answer any man can understand :)

I'm actually getting ready to take on a fairly hard hike on the AT for the exact same reason. See what my almost fiddy four year old self can do.

HideHunter
01-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Nicely Done!

airbud7
01-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Yep...real nice...love the picture quality......

Fido
01-07-2016, 01:42 PM
What kind of bullets are you using, haven't seen any sign of blood on your pics?

Big Skyz
01-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Fido I'm using 140gr Hornady Amax bullets. I've been literally shocked at how little pelt damage they do. I was thinking this 6.5 Creedmoor was going to pert near rip them in two. However so far it's caused FAR less damage than my 22.250 and is more like what I got out of my .223 using 50gr Nosler BT's. The really cool part is that come deer/antelope season next fall I won't have to change a thing. The 140gr will take out deer and antelope no problem. The fact that it's fur friendly is really a nice bonus.

LJ3
01-07-2016, 01:48 PM
What are the ballistics for your custom rifle and cartridges you're using? Those bullets must be screaming!

Big Skyz
01-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Not as fast as you'd think. Right around 2820 fps. Where is shines is it's high BC of .585, in other words, it slips through the air really nice without a lot of wind drift. As long as I call the elevation right and have a steady trigger pull, stuff falls down dead.

Chicken Dinner
01-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Rollercoaster?

"Just because" is an answer any man can understand :)

I'm actually getting ready to take on a fairly hard hike on the AT for the exact same reason. See what my almost fiddy four year old self can do.

Buckrub
01-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Not as fast as you'd think. Right around 2820 fps. Where is shines is it's high BC of .585, in other words, it slips through the air really nice without a lot of wind drift. As long as I call the elevation right and have a steady trigger pull, stuff falls down dead.

Please come eradicate all my coyotes.

Big Muddy
01-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Sky, in case you didn't read this from my post, yesterday....just be careful, man!!!

Btw, nice yote, and a beautiful pic.

"""I did not know this about my buddy, Jimbo, but his cousin found out that Jimbo dragged out two dead doe deer all by himself up in the hills, the afternoon before his fatal heart attack....of course, that may or may not have brought on his heart attack, but Jimbo was a pretty heavy guy, and lead a relatively sedate lifestyle.

I'm passing this along to you guys (including myself) who are getting older, and possibly may be somewhat out of shape....if you don't have an ATV with a long winch cable, or your dead deer is off the main trail, then don't be too proud to go get someone to help you do the dragging."""

Thumper
01-07-2016, 03:08 PM
Note: When Sky says he's "out of shape" ... it means he's "only" in 2-3 times better condition than most of us. It's all relative. ;)

Cards01
01-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Awesome photo!!

Big Skyz
01-07-2016, 04:10 PM
All joking aside, longevity does not run strong in my genetics. So I'm doing my best to live my life to the fullest just incase it ends too soon.

LJ3
01-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Rollercoaster?

Perzackly! Gonna try from rt50 to rt7. I need a drop-off at rt50, though. Not sure how to swing that. Have you done it? Will I die? I have a bum ITband issue in my left leg. Will I have to be medivaced?

LJ3
01-07-2016, 04:43 PM
All joking aside, longevity does not run strong in my genetics. So I'm doing my best to live my life to the fullest just incase it ends too soon.

I hear ya BS. I have cancer and heart disease all up and down my family tree in every nook and cranny. I've managed cholesterol and hypertension for the last 20 years. Hopefully I can get to my 80's but the odds aren't great for that.

Chicken Dinner
01-07-2016, 05:27 PM
I've done it in June the last two years from Snicker's Gap to Ashby Gap. (So, the opposite direction - Rte. 7 to Rte. 50.) It's reputation is well earned. If I can do it, you can. Two years ago, I was in worse shape and started out way too fast and about keeled over about half way up (aptly named) Buzzard's Peak. This past June, it was like hiking in a rain forest and I started cramping up on the last climb. I made it though. This was the first time I think Matt was actually worried about the old man. Winter, as long as it's not icy would be a good time to do it. The trails fairly rocky and uneven and I recommend good boots and hiking poles.

Perzackly! Gonna try from rt50 to rt7. I need a drop-off at rt50, though. Not sure how to swing that. Have you done it? Will I die? I have a bum ITband issue in my left leg. Will I have to be medivaced?

Big Skyz
01-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Len, we darn near sound related. My mom's side heart disease and cancer, my dads side cancer. My folks have defied the odds and are both in their 70's but that is unusual for my family. My dad's dad died at 55, as did my dad's younger brother. The haunting part is that my dad's younger brother looks a lot like me and we have been mistaken for each other on more than one occasion. My mom's folks were both gone in their early 60's.

Nandy
01-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Note: When Sky says he's "out of shape" ... it means he's "only" in 2-3 times better condition than most of us. It's all relative. ;)

Yeah or he went from 3% body fat to 4% body fat..... Bless his heart....