PDA

View Full Version : A hero died last night.

Arty
01-11-2016, 08:15 AM
My next door neighbor is a K9 officer in Norfolk (the ghetto town next to Virginia Beach). This was his dog. His dog was a well trained machine, but very gentle and loving. He kept him at home and they were partners in every sense of the word. Haven't been able to get many details from my neighbor yet, but I'm thinking he may have been the officer that returned fire to the shooter. Neighbor was supposed to be home at 11 last night, but he's still at the station. I'm sure he's going through a lot investigation wise. I texted him earlier and told him I'd stop by tonight after work and we would share a drink in honor of his buddy, a hero who died in service.

http://wavy.com/2016/01/11/police-dog-shot-and-killed-during-barricade-situation/

Captain
01-11-2016, 09:16 AM
That's gonna weigh heavy on him for a long time. I've seen it happen twice and the officers really have a hard time getting over it. It's sorta like they sent their buddy in to be killed. I don't know the details but be supportive and a friend during this very difficult time.

Thumper
01-11-2016, 09:53 AM
That really, really sucks. The way I understand it, they are partners for life. Even after the K-9 is retired from active duty, he continues to live with his partner. I really don't know if it's a National thing or a State thing, but here, a police K-9 is basically a "sworn" officer and the injuring/killing of a K-9 is a felony. That includes Police K-9's/horses, fire dogs and SAR dogs. I know it will be devastating to your neighbor.

Arty
01-11-2016, 10:00 AM
That really, really sucks. The way I understand it, they are partners for life. Even after the K-9 is retired from active duty, he continues to live with his partner. I really don't know if it's a National thing or a State thing, but here, a police K-9 is basically a "sworn" officer and the injuring/killing of a K-9 is a felony. That includes Police K-9's/horses, fire dogs and SAR dogs. I know it will be devastating to your neighbor.
Yup same here. (On the sworn officer thing)

Thumper
01-11-2016, 10:10 AM
I think I've mentioned this here before. We had a very popular local cop here (Sheriff's Deputy) who was shot and killed, along with his K-9, a few years back. I knew him, but not on a close, personal basis. I remember sitting and talking with him while we were at the barber shop for a haircut shortly before he was killed. It really struck the community hard and to this day (although the shooting was over 9 years ago), there are still many cars around town with bumper stickers or window decals honoring Matt Williams and his partner, Diogi. It was always kind of a local joke around here as anyone "new" who met them would often ask WTF kind'a name Diogi was. Matt would always laugh and say, "D-O-G ... Duh!" On most stickers and decals it is spelled as "DiOGi".

Here's Matt and Diogi as well as the dog (DiOGi) park in town named in Diogi's honor.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/15/images/large/Hernand_herdrug_1715344.jpg

https://irs3.4sqi.net/img/general/600x600/58653414_5TPcs8MIh6xLsSE5LlJ28DfwWkR2vCE8FWGg6amto dU.jpg

And here's the worthless scumbag who shot them. (who says profiling is a bunch of hooey?)

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Angilo-Freeland-courtesy-kansascity.com_.jpg

We love our Sheriff down here and I've voted for him in every election. He's a no-nonsense kind of guy and during the man-hunt, this scumbag was cornered and started shooting at the cops. Of course they all opened fire and he was killed. Once the dust settled, it was discovered he'd been shot 68 times! Afterwards, the press made a big deal of the "over-kill" and the Sheriff (Grady Judd) was questioned about the killing.

A reporter asked Judd what he would tell people wondering why Freeland was shot 68 times.

"I would tell them I guess we ran out of ammunition," Judd said. :D

Arty
01-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Details still not known. But I have a feeling this perp was filled with holes after shooting the dog.

Chicken Dinner
01-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Losing a dog is hard enough. Losing your Partner as well it tough stuff.

BarryBobPosthole
01-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Animals have to be brave to do what they do just like the the officers that train and take care of them do as well. I can
imagine your neighbor is having a hard time with this.

BKB

LJ3
01-11-2016, 11:30 AM
That's pretty sad. I hope the perp was properly ventilated.

Nandy
01-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Sad in deed....