PDA

View Full Version : I sorta always liked his music....

Big Muddy
01-11-2016, 10:07 AM
David Bowie passed away at age 69.

Chicken Dinner
01-11-2016, 10:16 AM
He definitely could turn a phrase. I'm going have Bowie ear worms running through my head all day. Right now, it's Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

BarryBobPosthole
01-11-2016, 10:24 AM
I didn't care for a lot of his music, mainly because I'm not much of a pop music fan, but if you sit down and listen to a retrospective of him you start to realize what an impact he had on pop music. The dude changed up his stuff several times and produced hits every single time. and that's over a long career.
I forgot what channel, HBO or Showtime prolly, that did a long ass special on his life and music here a year or do ago and it was really good. i'm sure they'll replay it now.

Ground Control to Major Tom!

BKB

Thumper
01-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Well dang! I was sitting here thinking of what I was going to write as a comment and P-hole just posted almost persactly what I would have said. I never was a big Bowie fan, but thinking back, I did like his music.

Thumper
01-11-2016, 10:39 AM
What's weird is, I remember reading about a baby penguin born in a zoo someplace (Ohio I think?) on Jan. 8th, which happens to be David Bowie's birthday. They named the penguin "Bowie" in his honor. It's kind of ironic that Bowie passed away just a couple days later.

Jan. 8 is also Elvis Presley's birthday and some people asked why they didn't name the penguin Elvis. They said they already have one named "The King", so they figured they had Elvis covered.

Big Skyz
01-11-2016, 10:51 AM
I only liked one song he did and that was Fame. Still like it in fact. Other than that the rest of his music pretty much drops right off the map with me.

LJ3
01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
I think we sort of hit on his musical legacy. He was a little bit too far out there to be wildly popular but still had a few songs within each one of his morphing stages that we could relate to. I loved his Ziggy Stardust phase and don't care for anything else he did at all. BUT... that part of his career was a significant influence for me.

quercus alba
01-11-2016, 01:46 PM
my music taste run to both ends of the spectrum depending on the mood. I like everything from elevator music to acid rock and everything in between. Right now I've started listening to the group Of Monsters and Men. Pretty good stuff.

(disclaimer: Rap and hip hop do not qualify as music in my opinion)

Chicken Dinner
01-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Indeed...

Trav
01-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Ok, I may get ripped for this but I loved him as the Goblin King in Labyrinth, that is also where I fell in love with Jennifer Connely.