PDA

View Full Version : Caution: Thump post about my rat-bastard buddy!

Thumper
01-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Years ago, I hired a dude as a mechanic at the Caddie dealer in Hollywood. I had cleaned house of some dead weight and a few primadonna a-holes that were eating up the payroll, and hired some kids fresh out of the GM Training Center, as well as a few who answered ads. This guy was a bit green, but was super mechanically inclined, a fast learner and a hard worker. Even though he worked for me, we soon became close friends. We both liked motorcycles and I even sold him my old Beemer R90 years ago. In fact, I bought my first house about 2 blocks from his house outside of L.A. I have some CRAZY stories from when we used to run around together chasing wimmins, but that would be a different "Thump Post". ;) He ended up marrying the gal I hired as my dispatcher (they're still married and have kids and grand-kids now).

Back on subject, when GM came out with their %#*&^@* TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT diesel back in the late 70's to mid-80's ('78 to '85 if I remember correctly), it became immediately apparent we had a MAJOR problem on our hands. Most Cadillac mechanics avoided the dang things like the plague and wanted nothing to do with them, so I called my buddy into my office one evening and told him if he wanted to tackle the diesels, he could pretty much write his own ticket as he had very little competition and there were about a bazillion GM cars on the road that were destined to self-destruct before they hit the 18,000 mile mark on the odometer. He said he'd do whatever I wanted him to do, so I sent him off to every diesel school GM offered. Before long, HE was my diesel department! Once every POS GM diesel in the country started to hand-grenade, he started making so much money he needed a Brinks truck to haul his paycheck home!

When I left the Hollywood dealer, he quit and moved to Seattle to work for my dad at a Caddie dealer my dad managed, again, making money hand-over-fist. When my dad moved to Arkansas to start building limousines, my buddy quit and went to work for Boeing (building landing gears for 747's I think), but soon tired of strikes and union bullshit, so he left and went back as a diesel mechanic for the Seattle city bus system, where again, he excelled at what he did. He stayed there until he retired a few years ago.

We've stayed in close contact through the years and he called me last night to wish me a happy birthday. Last year, he flew down here for about a week for the Daytona 500 and I drove over to meet him there. We sat around and talked about old times and he thanked me for steering him toward that whole diesel thing as it really paid off well for him. He has a VERY nice house in Seattle as well as a nice boat ... all the toys.

Anyway, last night we started talking about the possibility of him coming back down for the Daytona race this year, but instead of flying down, renting a car and staying in a hotel for the week (Speed Week), he was thinking of making a vacation out of it and bringing his wife down with him. (I haven't seen her in years!) He said when he retired a couple years ago, he bought a motorhome and he'd just trailer their cars down with him. WTF ... Cars I asked??? He said that way, if the wife wanted to go shopping or whatever, he'd still have his car to get around. Huh? To clarify, he sent pics of his motor home. (of course it's a diesel!) ;)

He stacks his Corvette convertible on top of his wife's Chevy Impala!

Of course, no cheap-assed cloth seats for this guy ... the interior is all leather.

My question is, where did I go wrong? :banghead

Thumper
01-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Ha ha ha! And this is what that worthless, easy-rider lookin', red-headed step-child looked like when I hired him! :D

HideHunter
01-19-2016, 01:15 PM
Very cool! Good for him..

Thumper
01-19-2016, 01:33 PM
I just realized, in that last pic, he kind resembles my avatar. :D

LJ3
01-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Nice! It's good to see folks get a nice happy and soft runway in the last 3rd of their lives.

Big Muddy
01-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Well, maybe he'll give you a ride to the post office to drop off some ebay packages. ;)

You just gotta be proud for a hard-working guy like that !!!

HunterEd
01-19-2016, 01:53 PM
He did well & weather all the wars and storms! GOOD FOR HIM!

Buckrub
01-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Is that Peter Fonda? Come on, is it??

Thumper
01-19-2016, 08:36 PM
Is that Peter Fonda? Come on, is it??

Slap the Stars & Bars on the fuel tank and it would make you wonder. ;)

He and his first wife and my wife and I all divorced about the same time and I think the two of us had a little something to do with each other's marital problems. Man do I have some crazy stories from those days. He still reminds me of the time he came over to my house early one Saturday morning, knocked on the door and my wife chased him all the way down the street with a meat cleaver! He jumped a neighbor's fence and ran through their yard to escape. He ran all the way home, then called to tell me his car was in my driveway and the keys were on the floor ... then asked if I could bring it to his house for him. Then he asked why my old lady was so pissed off at him. I told him I had only been home a few hours when he got there and I told her I'd been with him drinking all night. The main problem was, I kinda smelled like a mixture of beer, perfume and tuna! I let him know I was gonna tell him that if she should ask, he was to say I was with him all night, but I didn't know he was coming over that morning. :hair

Another night, we ended up with a couple'a gals at their apartment and kinda "partied" a bit much. He was so drunk when I took him home (we'd many times carpool), I just rolled him out of the car and dragged him up to his front door, got the keys from his pocket, opened the front door, rolled him into the entry way, slammed the door and hauled ass home. It seems we always had a rough time making it home once we got off work on Friday nights! He woke up early Saturday morning, panicked and jumped out of bed gathering up his clothes and said, "SHIT! Sue's gonna KILL me!" Then his wife (SUE) sat up in the bed and said, "Why am I going to kill you?" He looked around the room and realized he was at home in his own bed, but had no clue how he got there! He was a quick thinker and told her he thought it was a work day and when he realized it was Saturday, he was afraid she'd be pissed that he had awakened her when he got up!

To make matters worse, he WAS in big trouble, so to "make up", he bought his wife a new car the following week. The big mistake was, he picked it up at the dealer on a ... you guessed it ... Friday! In California we have what they call Santa Anna's ... very strong winds that blow in off the desert at certain times of the year. Well, as usual, we ended up chasin' wimmins and doing things we shouldn't have been doing, including the usual heavy drinking. I drove his wife's new car home with him passed out in the passenger seat. With those Santa Anna winds, we were blowing all over the frigging freeway! All of a sudden he sits up and hollers, "Pull over ... NOW!!!" I pulled to the side of the freeway, he jumped out leaving the door open and barfs up his toenails. The whole time I'm screaming at him to close the f'ing door since the wind was blowing through that car like a frigging wind tunnel ... and most of his barf was hitting ME!! He finally ran out of material to bring up and got back in the car. I pulled back onto the highway and realized the windshield was covered with barf and I couldn't even see to drive. I hit the w/s washers/wipers and they did nothing ... the barf covering the windshield was on the INSIDE! ARRRGGGHHH!

Anyway, we headed to my house so I could get home and then I wasn't too worried about him driving the car to his house two blocks away. BUT ... when we got out of the car, he opened all the doors, grabbed the garden hose in my front yard and hosed the whole inside of the car out! I asked him what the hell he was doing and he said, "Detailing!" Now, mind you, the car had about 45 miles on the odometer at this point! I'm just glad I wasn't there when he presented his wife with her "new" car the next morning!

Heck, I could go on and on, but you get the idea. We were good buds .... but we really weren't good for each other! :D

Arty
01-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Gooood lorrrrrrd.

How are you still alive?

Thumper
01-19-2016, 08:50 PM
Trust me ... you ain't heard nuttin' yet. I could go on forever. I will say, I've slowed down drastically in my old age. ;)

Nandy
01-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Im glad for him, not sure I want to drive a thing that large. I would be so stressed out.....