PDA

View Full Version : Kelley Blue Book has spoken!

Thumper
01-24-2016, 03:38 PM
Their best resale value list is out. Just sayin'. :stirthepot

Best Mid-Size Pickup Truck:
2016 Toyota Tacoma

Despite new trucks joining this segment, the tried-and-true Toyota Tacoma once again is tops in resale value in the midsize pickup truck category. Not only that, but this year the Tacoma is the overall Best Resale Value Award winner, projected to retain a higher percentage of its original MSRP than every other vehicle on the market.

The Tacoma has received several updates and changes for 2016, including a new engine that is both more powerful and gets better fuel economy, more convenience features in a completely redesigned interior, and even more off-road, towing and payload hauling capability. The bed is big enough to carry dirt bikes or a motorcycle or ATV, with a handy tie-down system that keeps everything in place. This added level of capability and refinement builds on what Tacoma owners already love about their trucks: toughness and reliability, a true go-anywhere design and the truck's ability to be pushed to the limits (and beyond).

One of the biggest advantages of the 2016 Tacoma is its near-full-size-truck capability in a smaller, easier-to-park package. You can park a Tacoma in a garage, for example. It's also quite versatile, riding comfortably on city streets and freeways, but with available features like a 2-speed transfer case, electronically locking rear differential, Multi-terrain Select and Crawl Control, the Toyota Tacoma is well equipped for adventure after the paved roads end.

There are plenty of options, too, between cabs, engines, transmissions, 2- or 4-wheel drive and bed lengths, with a starting price of just over $24,000. It's for these reasons the Toyota Tacoma continues to dominate midsize truck sales, as well as the 2016 Best Resale Value awards.

Best Full-Size Pickup Truck:
2016 Toyota Tundra

The Toyota Tundra has topped the Best Resale Value Awards in the category where owners ask the absolute most of their vehicles: the full-size pickup truck segment. Here, buyers want their trucks to be ready for work and play, expecting that the trucks will offer a comfortable ride, tow around 10,000 pounds, shuttle family around, get acceptable fuel economy and serve as vacation director by getting the boat or RV to a favorite destination. The Toyota Tundra does all of this and more, while boasting very impressive projected resale values.

The Tundra was recently updated with fresher styling, greater attention to detail in the cabin and new infotainment features. What's especially nice about the Tundra, though, is the breadth of cab and trim options. There are three cabs, including the ultra-roomy CrewMax, three bed lengths, 2- or 4-wheel drive and standard V8 power.

The 4.6-liter V8 has plenty of power, but for those who want more oomph, buyers can step up to the 381-horsepower, 5.7-liter V8. There are six trim levels that can satisfy those who are looking for a work truck (SR), a midgrade truck with some upscale features (SR5 or Limited), more off-road performance (TRD Pro) and buyers who are looking for topline luxury (the Platinum or the designer-cowboy 1794 Edition).

Pricing for the Tundra starts at just over $30,000, which is $3,000-$4,000 higher than the starting prices of its competition. However, at that price, the Tundra SR comes with the larger V8 engine, something that no other 1/2-ton truck maker can boast, plenty of useful standard equipment and the best resale value in the segment.

Buckrub
01-24-2016, 03:50 PM
"Absolute most"......."Larger V8 engine"......"ready for work"......"4.6L"........"Max at 5.7L"........"Higher costs than the competition"..."Larger V8 that no other truck maker can boast"...........

Well, congratulations there, Homer. That's great stuff there. You write that?

Arty
01-24-2016, 04:12 PM
How the F do they know how well the 2016's will RE-SELL?? Didn't we JUST make the turn into, well, 2016???

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2016, 04:51 PM
Makes me sad. My new truck is a 2014.

BKB

airbud7
01-24-2016, 04:58 PM
Makes me sad. My new truck is a 2014.

BKB

Yep^.....My 2010 chevy is worth twice as much....Sucker!!!....

Can I have my badge NOW!!!

Thumper
01-24-2016, 06:27 PM
How the F do they know how well the 2016's will RE-SELL?? Didn't we JUST make the turn into, well, 2016???

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I just report the news. ;)

LJ3
01-24-2016, 07:52 PM

Can someone help this bumpkin understand that superior quality is directly related to used value on the market?

Good thing he's not in the home financial industry.... oh no wait. Dang.

Arty
01-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Go play with your pussy, snow boy!

Thumper
01-24-2016, 09:04 PM
The silly thing is, I was curious and went back every year to 2005 (if I remember correctly) and it was the same top two every year. Then I got tired of checking both categories (since I only drive Tacomas) and started checking "mid-size truck resale" only ... it came up Tacoma all the way back to 2009 when I finally gave up checking. Heck, who knows? It's not like KBB isn't highly respected (and used) in the industry. Seems hokey to me on one hand ... but the personal experience side of me has to agree with them.

Bottom line is, it all boils down to personal preference ... (IF you don't mind throwing your hard earned money away that is)! Sorry, I couldn't help myself and HAD to continue :stirthepot. It's what I do. ;)

Buckrub
01-24-2016, 09:28 PM
If KBB wrote that Toyota AD, and that's what it is, an AD.......I'll eat my hat.

Meanwhile, I'll wait on the Toyota competition to my Real Truck.

AND, while I'm waiting, I'll laugh at y'all's funny attempts to justify your tiny penii and toy trucks.

Captain
01-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Toyota is with out a doubt the best truck for them city boys that use a truck like a car. You ain't gonna find them around a farm doing real truck work or used by people that ACTUALLY use a truck.
Them pretty boys like pretty trucks and have drunk that Toy koolaid

Thumper
01-24-2016, 10:45 PM
"Farm trucks"?? Ha! Wussie stuff! They had a Spec. Ops team on a mission in Afghanistan and the gov't told them whatever equipment they needed, anything ... all they had to do was ask. They requested Toyota Tacomas. The gov't purchased them from a dealer in California, outfitted them with winches, machine gun mounts and brush guards, then shipped 'em!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/55/5d/87/555d87bdbed50f5832a2ac78fa7026cc.jpg

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/45015/

http://www.brian894x4.com/images/MilTacoma7.jpg

http://www.brian894x4.com/images/MilTacoma2.jpg

Captain
01-24-2016, 10:47 PM
"Farm trucks"?? Ha! Wussie stuff! They had a Spec. Ops team on a mission in Afghanistan and the gov't told them whatever equipment they needed, anything ... all they had to do was ask. They requested Toyota Tacomas. The gov't purchased them from a dealer in California, outfitted them with winches, machine gun mounts and brush guards, then shipped 'em!

That's because the government can afford to by parts for them weak SOB's. Us poor farmers have to drive real truck that are tough and don't break down.

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2016, 10:58 PM
Them farm trucks is kind of like having a little dick. They're great around the farm, but they ain't worth a shit out on the road.

BKB

Thumper
01-24-2016, 11:05 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3293/3068615748_a543419ffa_b.jpg

BarryBobPosthole
01-24-2016, 11:12 PM
I love Chevy trucks but those weren't the awesomest of years for Chevy trucks in that picture.

BKB

Thumper
01-24-2016, 11:18 PM
That's a farm truck. ;)

Buckrub
01-25-2016, 12:39 AM
There's 3 farm owners on here, and about 40 city boys.

Now, who drives what, and why?

You show up in one of those toy trucks in real farm country, you'll get shot at. Most bumper stickers say "Why buy their stuff? They won't buy our rice"............

airbud7
01-25-2016, 02:37 AM
Toyota is with out a doubt the best truck for them city boys that use a truck like a car. You ain't gonna find them around a farm doing real truck work or used by people that ACTUALLY use a truck.
Them pretty boys like pretty trucks and have drunk that Toy koolaid

This^

Whats up y'all Toyota Pussys.....

Can a Toyota pull anything?.. a

Thumper
01-25-2016, 05:26 AM
:stirthepot :stirthepot :stirthepot :stirthepot :stirthepot

There's 3 farm owners on here, and about 40 city boys. Now, who drives what, and why?

You mean those old redneck, "stuck in the 60's farmers" we have around here? The same reason OLD folks drive Buicks with foil AAA stickers on their bumpers. :oldfart It takes the newer generation to realize things change over time.

You show up in one of those toy trucks in real farm country, you'll get shot at. Most bumper stickers say "Why buy their stuff? They won't buy our rice".....

Ummm, last I checked, both the Tundra AND Tacoma are built in Texas ... TRUCK country! ;)

Remember, Japan is a comparatively small country and they don't have all that much real estate available for farming. And FWIW, I have a buddy in N. California who's a PREMIUM rice grower. 100% of Al's crop is purchased by Japan and, as per contract, he's not even allowed to sell ANY of it in the U.S. :poke

http://www.manta.com/c/mmfs0lt/lassaga-ranch

.... Whats up y'all Toyota Pussys ..... Can a Toyota pull anything?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! A little ol' baby backhoe? Really? :moon

To answer your question, let me think ... the Space Shuttle comes to mind! ;)

Note for below: In a pre-test, they set this truck up with a 306,000 lb. test load ... no prob.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wxHmv0mhX88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buckrub
01-25-2016, 11:44 AM
http://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/japan-stands-tough-against-rice-imports-in-trade-talks-with-u-s

http://www.wsj.com/articles/rice-is-sticky-issue-for-japan-in-trans-pacific-trade-talks-1432025782

johnboy
01-25-2016, 04:26 PM
I wonder why Toyota has never gotten in to the heavy duty pickup market with a 3/4, 1 ton diesel SRW and/or DRW . There seems to be a pretty good demand for these trucks and the profit margin is huge. Seems like it would be a good move for them but maybe it is all about the demographics of Toyota buyers. They don't buy HD pickmeups.

BarryBobPosthole
01-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Toyota has moved pretty slow and sure in the full size truck market lately. There's a 5.0 liter 300hp American made Cummins Diesel available in the 2016 Tundra. I haven't heard about their plans in the heavy duty market but I'd imagine the addition of a new engine line to support it would make sense. Word is, this diesel in the current Tundra gives it a leg up on the competition in that line. I wouldn't know, as I'm not up on the diesel lingo.
Having owned Chevy trucks my entire drivng life, I can tell you this Tundra I have now is beefier, handles better off road, and is overall put together better than any Chevy I've owned. I've also towed a fairly big boat (20') and trailer many miles with both and there's no comparing how this one tows, this one is that much better. If it goes tits up tomorrow, then I might change my tune. But for now, I'd give the Tundra an A. My last Chevy lasted 14 goddamn good years of service, but it'd get a B+ compared to that A.

BKB

airbud7
01-25-2016, 04:54 PM
bottom end torque^....Toyota got none.

BarryBobPosthole
01-25-2016, 05:05 PM
In the half ton line, the Chevy and Toyota engine specs line up well.

chevy 5.3l 355 hp, 383 ft lbs torque
chevy 6.2l 420 hp 460 ft lbs torque
toyota 5.7l 381 hp 405 ft lbs torque

BKB

airbud7
01-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Looks good on paper Barry .........I would Buy a Ford/ Dodge First!!!

BarryBobPosthole
01-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Good for you!

BKB

airbud7
01-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Good for you!

BKB

Never try and put a chevy truck down....You Gonna Lose Bro/...every time...

johnboy
01-25-2016, 05:46 PM
With HD pickups it's all about the engine and trans. To be competitive they will need a diesel with something like the new Powerstroke - 440hp and 860 ft/lbs coupled to a trans that can handle the power.

I think the Tundra is getting close to the HD capability with their chassis but don't have the grunt to move it yet.

My old GMC was 15 when I replaced it with the new Ford and was still a great truck. If GM had still offered a big block/Allison combo I might very well have bought it instead of the diesel. Only complaint was fuel burn. I do love this diesel, however. That power is addictive!

BarryBobPosthole
01-25-2016, 06:27 PM
I pulled my boat to Canada one year with a buddy's Ford Superduty and its amazing. 70 by the end of the entrance ramp and not even a hint the boat was even back there.

It did love its fuel too!
BKB

airbud7
01-25-2016, 06:34 PM
I pulled my boat to Canada one year with a buddy's Ford Superduty and its amazing.
BKB

So you like Ford Now?....

Give me my Badge Now!!!....or I keep on.

Buckrub
01-25-2016, 06:49 PM
They're good trucks. Last a long time. Do what you bought them for.

Japan still won't buy our rice. I'm sure that doesn't matter to y'all. That's ok.

Thumper
01-26-2016, 02:24 AM
No prob Buckster ... just screw those dang foreigners where it hurts ... buy "American" ... that'll fuck 'em over!

FYI ... the old days are just that ... the old days. We have a global economy now. But you just go ahead and buy "American"! (whatever that means these days)

Here's something you might find interesting regarding your "American" automobile. Ummm, looks like your Silverado is tied for last place! Just sayin'. ;)

To help shoppers who want to buy American, Edmunds has compiled a list of the 10 trucks with the highest percentage of U.S./Canadian content. Our rankings are based on information reported by carmakers to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration under the American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA).

In addition to showing the percentage of domestic content, there's also information regarding the country in which the car was assembled, the source of its engine and the source of its transmission.

1. 2015 Ford F-150 (tie)
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 70
Final Assembly Country: U.S.
Engine Source: U.S., Canada
Transmission Source: U.S.

2015 Toyota Tundra (tie)
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 70
Engine Source: U.S.

2. 2015 Chevrolet Colorado (tie)
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 66
Transmission Source: U.S., Brazil

2015 GMC Canyon (tie)
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 66
Transmission Source: U.S., Brazil

3. 2015 Ram 1500
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 61
Final Assembly Country: U.S., Mexico
Engine Source: U.S., Italy
Transmission Source: U.S., Germany

4. 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 60
Engine Source: Japan
Transmission Source: Japan, U.S.

5. 2015 Nissan Frontier (tie)
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 50
Engine Source: U.S., Japan
Transmission Source: Japan

2015 Nissan Titan (tie)
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 50
Transmission Source: Japan

6. 2015 Chevrolet Silverado (tie)
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 45

2015 GMC Sierra (tie)
Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 45

Buckrub
01-26-2016, 10:09 AM
They're great trucks. I'd drive one. I'm sure Japan never sees a penny of profit from those trucks made over here. That's all good.

Thumper
01-26-2016, 10:20 AM
They sure provide a ton of jobs in this country, from the supplier level, through the manufacturing level, transportation, banking/financing, aftermarket, etc. etc. on down to the dealership level not to mention adding to the sales/use tax coffers. There ain't much "American Made" anymore and I know from PERSONAL experience, if the U.S. automakers don't have the competition, they could give a rat's ass about you, me, or anyone else but their fat-cat pockets and quality would take a back seat as far as their priorities go. In the long run, competition is a good thing for the consumer. It gives the assholes a reason to get off their asses and pay attention to what they're building. But, the "tit for tat" could go on forever and I've promised you I'd turn over a new leaf ... so I guess I need to "poof" my way out of this thread.

Buckrub
01-26-2016, 10:25 AM
I understand your position.
I never said they were bad quality trucks.
I simply implied the profit goes to Japan.
I am not in a tit for tat in any way. If folks can't discuss silly topics like trucks without getting upset, then I guess there's no topics possible. I wasn't upset in any way. 99.999% of the chauvinistic "I own the BEST" stuff that has gone on here, I do with my tongue totally in my cheek. You say you "SD". Well, why would this be worse?

Your last two post are serious and fact filled and clearly indicate it's some actual, real, sore subject to you. To me it's just a truck. Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton diesel that'll pull my stuff, so they are non-competitive. Past that, it's all just a b/s internet yapping.

Sorry if I offended your truck.

By the way, HD and Airbud also commented on Toyotas.

Thumper
01-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Well, it wasn't meant so sound all serious-like ... I just jump at any chance I can get to throw a jab at (mostly) GM, so maybe I do come off as being too serious when the subject comes up. Normally, I'd continue throwing the jabs, but I'm not positive as to where the line is drawn these days regarding "picking on you". So, as promised, I just chose to bail instead of continuing.

BUT ... you actually gave me an idea for another post. Man-o-man, it'll be a Thump Post ... but maybe it'll provide a bit of therapy for me.

Arty
01-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Well, it wasn't meant so sound all serious-like ... I just jump at any chance I can get to throw a jab at (mostly) GM, so maybe I do come off as being too serious when the subject comes up. Normally, I'd continue throwing the jabs, but I'm not positive as to where the line is drawn these days regarding "picking on you". So, as promised, I just chose to bail instead of continuing. BUT ... you actually gave me an idea for another post. Man-o-man, it'll be a Thump Post ... but maybe it'll provide a bit of therapy for me. you already went to thump mode with this post. Give yer digits a rest before you post another. :)

Big Skyz
01-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Even though my Ford hasn't been quite as good as the average Tacoma it has been a whole LOT BETTER than any of the 6 GM vehicles I've owned. My oldest son in a moment of weakness and against my advice bought a Chevy Denali a little less than a year ago. Long story short his repair bills were starting to equal or exceed his monthly payment. I think it was trouble free for maybe 2 months, the rest of the time it was a typical piece of Chevy. He traded it off a couple weeks ago for 2013 Ford F150 Crew Cab. In his own words: "Dad it is a HUGE improvement. I won't miss that Chevy at all." I won't be make that mistake ever again!" Live and learn I suppose. I can honestly say that if I won any brand new GM vehicle in a contest/drawing the first thing I would do is trade it in or sell it. I have zero desire to ever own another. With that said, the fact that Toyota trucks have very strong resale value is of no surprise to any of us that have owned a few of them. In fact that resale is about the only thing tough about owning a Toyota Tacoma. They are super expensive to buy new, and going the used route is pretty darned spendy as well. Short of inheriting one from a dead relative there is almost no way to get into a Tacoma cheaply.

airbud7
01-26-2016, 06:17 PM
You OK Skyz?....Thats fucked up shit you just said^...

You say this truck broke down???

???

Or this one???

what exactly are you saying???...Chevy Sux???

So we should all buy a toyota camry with a bed on it....Then pull my backhoe? ???

johnboy
01-26-2016, 08:20 PM
If a Tacoma is "mid sized" then what would be a small truck?

airbud7
01-26-2016, 11:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3rsha1ZtI

Thumper
01-27-2016, 12:00 AM
If a Tacoma is "mid sized" then what would be a small truck?

Ha! Who knows? If a Ford F-150 is full-sized, what was my Kenworth? 😄

Thumper
01-27-2016, 12:07 AM
So we should all buy a toyota camry with a bed on it....Then pull my backhoe? ???

Just curious A/B, what sort of backhoe do you own?

johnboy
01-27-2016, 01:11 AM
If you go by capability (payload, tow rating) then I would call an F150 a mid size like the GMC 1500, Tundra and Dodge Ram1500. The Tacoma is a small pickup like the Colorado and Nissan Frontier.

A full size pickup would be a Ford Superduty, GM 2500/3500 and Ram 2500/3500. Toyota doesn't make a full size pickup truck but Nissan is getting there with the Frontier XD diesel.

airbud7
01-27-2016, 07:43 AM
Just curious A/B, what sort of backhoe do you own?

A Ford/...You want me to upload a video ?

Got a skid steer to/ and an old 8n.

Thumper
01-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Yankin' your chain A/B. It's just that you're repeating yourself and I heard you the first time. If you'll scan back a few posts, you already mentioned pulling a backhoe, then asked what a Toyota can pull. That's when I posted the video of me pulling my Space Shuttle. 😉

Yeah Johnboy, no clue where they draw the line on "small" & "mid-sized". I do know I kept one of my old SR5 work trucks for a few years as a beater/woods romper, and when it was parked next to my Tacoma, the Tacoma "looked" like a full-size truck comparatively. Park the Tacoma next to a Tundra and the Tundra is, of course, bigger. Who knows? The point is, comparisons should be apples and apples instead of apples and oranges. Tacoma/Colorado - Tundra/Silverado, etc. It really doesn't accomplish anything to compare a Tundra with an F-450 dually Super Duty, just like you wouldn't compare an F-450 with a Peterbilt.

What it all boils down to is, it's just SD'ing. People are going to like what they like and drive what they like, OR drive the best "tool" for the job they need to accomplish. It could just as well be a discussion about guns and Gunther could be commenting on "Remingtombs" and needling the majority of shooters around here. But it wouldn't accomplish anything to bicker while comparing Sky's .22-250 with an M-60. Different jobs, different tools.

airbud7
01-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Brilliant^........ Thump how you do that^....I will never know?

Thumper
01-27-2016, 09:09 AM
Ummm, not sure what I did persactly, but I'm sure it simply boils down to my sheer genius. 😉

johnboy
01-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Right tool for the job is exactly what it's all about. Pick whatever you need. Lots of choices out there.