PDA

View Full Version : Say what? $5.95 a gallon??? Why???

Buckrub
01-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Gasoline prices may be $1.83, based on an average gallon of regular nationwide. But they are over three times that in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., where gas has hit $5.99 at one nearby Shell station, according to GasBuddy.

A few miles away, in Orlando, at a Suncoast Energy station, the price for a gallon of regular is $5.95.

The two locations in Florida are an anomaly. Most of the stations with among the highest gas prices in the United States are in and around the large cities in California, which has the highest among all states.

Twenty of the top 25 stations with highest gas price are in California. These cities include San Francisco, Los Angeles, Thousand Oaks, Studio City and San Bruno.

That national average will go lower, probably much lower. Crude oil prices have dropped to $30. A year ago, the price was nearly $65 a barrel.One main reason for the drop in gasoline prices is the sea of available oil, due in part to a flood from Saudi Arabia, and perhaps to falling demand as the global economy slows. Despite the loud protests of other OPEC members, the kingdom said it will keep pumping.

DeputyDog
01-25-2016, 08:38 PM
We had dropped to $1.52 around here but I noticed that it jumped to $1.79 at a few places and will probably jump at the rest of them by tomorrow.

Arty
01-25-2016, 08:42 PM
1.55 most places here. Occasional 1.67 here and there.

Sure is nice. My S-crew Ford is always thirsty.

Thumper
01-26-2016, 01:52 AM
They're fucking crooks and the City of Orlando has had an on-going battle with the bastards for a while now! The Suncoast station is at the last exit before the airport and tourists zip in there to fill their tanks before turning in their rental cars at the airport. They're usually in a hurry to catch a flight and pay no attention to the price on the pump. At one point, they had no signage showing their gas price, which I believe is against a city ordinance, so the city cited them. They then put up a small sign on the side street ... the main drag heading to the airport has no sign, so you really have to look for it. I believe the city made them move it, so they then put up a small fence that serves no purpose ... other than to block the sign. The city made them remove the fence because they "did not pull a permit" to erect it. They removed the fence, but now if you go by there, there's always a van parked in front of the sign blocking it! It's a frigging joke and tourists are still getting ripped off. Somebody needs to go in there and break some kneecaps. Fuckers!

The Shell station at Lake Buena Vista is a similar deal. Lake Buena Vista is basically Disney and the station is right smack in the middle of something like 8-9 car rental agencies. They have a sign that's the minimum height I think, about 3' tall, advertising their gas price (per city ordinance). BUT ... the sign is conveniently placed beside a frigging hedge within a bunch of landscaping! You can see it IF you really look for it, but it's the same deal, tourists zip in to fill their rental cars before turning them in and don't pay a bit of attention until they get their receipt.

It's an on-going battle between attorneys and city officials. A disgrace really and somebody needs to be horsewhipped and then shot.

What it boils down to is, "Buyer Beware".

Buckrub
01-26-2016, 10:10 AM
Ah! Good explanation. I was lost there.

Thanks for the info!

LJ3
01-26-2016, 10:36 AM
It'd be a cool Scooby Doo plot if the Hertz desk manager owned that station.

And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky teenagers!