PDA

View Full Version : Technical picture-saving question

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 11:40 AM
I know (or thought I did) how to save a picture that I find on the web. I usually 'view image' and save it somewhere, or just right click and save.........depends on what state or format it's in to start with.

But some are .php files and I can't figure out how to save that image.

Others are like the embedded image in this link:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/when-will-oil-prices-bottom-heres-how-youll-be-able-to-tell/ar-BBoOmHM?li=BBnb7Kv'

There's an image on there about what it costs to produce one barrel of oil in various countries. I can't save it for some reason.

Is it impossible? Or am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick/method?

Thanks.

Thumper
01-28-2016, 11:48 AM
Not sure persactly what you are or are not doing. This one?

Thumper
01-28-2016, 11:49 AM
I'll try it a different way.

http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/BBoOk3Z.img?h=531&w=590&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Thumper
01-28-2016, 11:50 AM
I don't know ... operator error??? ;)

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 11:51 AM
OK, I bow before you.

Seriously.

Yes, that one. Now tell me how you did it, and what I'm doing wrong.

I can't get the option to save as .jpeg or .jpg format. That is not available as a saving format.

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 11:52 AM
I don't know ... operator error??? ;)

Obviously.

Describe the error!

Thumper
01-28-2016, 11:53 AM
I right clicked the first one, clicked on "save picture as", then saved it to my "pictures" file ... it showed as a .jpg

The second one, I simply right clicked, hit "copy image address" and posted it here directly.

Chicken Dinner
01-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Right click and "save picture as" seems to work for me as well. Is it a browser thing?

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 11:56 AM
OK that's the issue. I do that all the time. But often, like here, the option of .jpg is NOT available. If it's originally a .php embedded picture, I don't have that option.

So, I"m doing what you're doing, but I don't have the .jpg option. Why you do, and I don't, must be browser related (maybe)??? Which browser do you use?

Thumper
01-28-2016, 11:59 AM
I'm on Google Chrome.

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 12:01 PM
That's not a browser.

I'm using Firefox. I just tried it again, and here's what happens. Right click, try to 'save as', and the file name is xxxxx.img (already has an extension), and the only choice for type of file is "At a glance photo viewing software". Possibly that is a setting in my browser, not sure. But that's why I can't save as .jpg. And why this is only for some files, I don't know.

Thanks for the help, I'll research further.

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 12:03 PM
OK, I simply changed the file name to "oilcost.jpg" manually, and it saved it as .jpg.

SO I guess that's how I can fix it.

Now, I apologize for interrupting your morning routines, and back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Big Muddy
01-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Bucky, that happens to me, as well, but very infrequently....when it does, I just email the pic to myself, then when the email arrives, it allows me to "save image as."

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 12:15 PM
aha.

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Bucky, that happens to me, as well, but very infrequently....when it does, I just email the pic to myself, then when the email arrives, it allows me to "save image as."

That worked, SquirrelCommander. Thanks!!!

Thumper
01-28-2016, 12:27 PM
That's not a browser.

See how technically challenged I am? How do I know what browser I'm using? What is Google Chrome?

This is what Wiki says ... that's the extent of my knowledge. What am I missing?

Google Chrome is a freeware web browser developed by Google.

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 12:30 PM
Chrome is the browser. That's just one of Google's products. You didn't say Chrome, you just said Google. But yes, that's the browser, thanks. I have it, but rarely use it. Maybe if I looked up that URL in Chrome it'd work.

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 12:35 PM
See how technically challenged I am? How do I know what browser I'm using? What is Google Chrome?

This is what Wiki says ... that's the extent of my knowledge. What am I missing?

Google Chrome is a freeware web browser developed by Google.

Technically challenged?

OK, which of the two of us can't save a freaking picture?

Thumper
01-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Ummmm, ???????????????

Quote:

I'm on Google Chrome.

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 12:51 PM
I ain't that dumb (I believe that, I do). You fixed it, cause originally it said 'I'm on Google'.........

Is it my deodorant?

Thumper
01-28-2016, 12:57 PM
You know ... now that you mention it ... thinking back, I believe I did write just "Google" then went back immediately and added "Chrome". Dang, you must have seen it within that 3-second time span! Sorry 'bout that ... you're right. (Please note: You've now used your 2016 "can only be right once/year" allotment)

It's gonna be a loooong year for you! ;)

Buckrub
01-28-2016, 01:01 PM
I sincerely, and deeply, hope so! I have few left. I need them to be long.................

LJ3
01-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Php is a scripting language, FYI. I think you knew that, though.

Nandy
01-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Using firefox 42 here, I right click, select "save as" and the extension is jpg... There must be something in your browser set to do that....